Who the heck dreams about a coming Blizzard in JULY????

petitepedal

This morning is pretty nice (low humidity, 54°), but I would have been ecstatic with a blizzard on the 4th (90° and ridiculous humidity)!!! 

I watched some log rolling on the 4th and was totally envious of the people dropping into the lagoon after a completed match.

They're probably wishing for one in Quebec.

33 people already dead from this heat wave:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/amid-extreme-heat-33-die-in-quebec-1.4001041

The heat wave that has enveloped much of Central and Eastern Canada has contributed to at least 33 deaths in Quebec.

“We’re doing the best that we can do,” Quebec’s Public Health Minister Lucie Charlebois said at a press conference Thursday. “You know, we’re living something special. In French we say, ‘C'est une situation exceptionnelle.’”

With temperatures exceeding 30 degrees Celsius, Environment Canada heat warnings have been in effect for large swathes of Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia for much of the past week. The extreme heat is expected to finally abate this evening.

Photos

Montreal heatwave

People cool down in a public pool in Montreal, Thursday, July 5, 2018. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes)

Montreal heatwave

A man relaxes under a tree in a park in Montreal, Thursday, July 5, 2018. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Graham Hughes)

Quebec health officials on deadly heat wave

Quebec Minister for Rehabilitation, Youth Protection and Public Health Lucie Charlebois speaks about the provincial response to a deadly heat wave, in Montreal, Thursday, July 5, 2018.

The 33 Quebec deaths include 18 in Montreal.

According Dr. Mylene Drouin, regional director of Montreal's public health department, those who died were predominantly men aged 53 to 85 who lived alone and without air conditioning.

“First they have heat stroke, but most of the people who die, they are vulnerable,” Drouin told CTV Montreal. “Or (they have) problems with drugs, or they are intoxicated. So first, they’re dehydrated.”

Those living in poorer areas with less vegetation have been suffering the most during the heat wave, Drouin added during a press conference

I'm not handling the heat well myself right now. I was grilling chicken for 11 people on the forth and as I was trying to get the chicken off the grill I lost my vision and couldn't do it. I had my son take over and I got in the pool.  My wife lectures me every day on being careful, that I'm not able to endure the heat right now and not to get myself in a situation where relief isn't available. The kayak is pretty safe, if I get too hot just get in the water, the bike not so much.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I'm not handling the heat well myself right now. I was grilling chicken for 11 people on the forth and as I was trying to get the chicken off the grill I lost my vision and couldn't do it. I had my son take over and I got in the pool.  My wife lectures me every day on being careful, that I'm not able to endure the heat right now and not to get myself in a situation where relief isn't available. The kayak is pretty safe, if I get too hot just get in the water, the bike not so much.

I don't handle the heat like I used to.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

There really isn't all that much sodium in there, you know.

It's no secret I listen to, read, and watch lots of information that to a "normal" person sounds like conspiracy theory propaganda.  But I ask, aside from their book that probably makes them no money at all, what are they selling?  Kale?  If only 10% of what I've heard is true, it's horrifying.

People have not always been this fat or this sick. 

You eat too much and now have type II diabetes, here's a drug.  Your cholesterol level is killing you because of what and how you eat, here's a drug.  You weigh too much, don't try and eat a balanced diet, let's do surgery, or maybe give you a drug.  You have gout, here's a drug...

Seriously, has a physician ever prescribed eating better?  If they did, an unhealthy person would just find a new doctor.

I can't believe anyone could in good conscience eat something like that DQ garbage, get sick or feel like crap, and then wonder what's happening to them.

Look at pics of people from the 50s, 60s and 70s.  If you're a little more seasoned, look at pics of yourself from that time.  Have you stayed the same size?  Are you healthy?

Don't get me wrong, I used to eat McDonald's and other items that really aren't fit to be considered food, and loved it.  It's an addiction like anything else.  I still have plenty.

I am far from perfect, and I try not to be preachy, but it really makes me sad when someone like my dad (early 70s) is on diuretics, high blood pressure medication, diabetes medication, cholesterol medication, all because of his diet.  I don't preach to him, but when we do get together (maybe a few times a year), I talk about my running or cycling adventures and what I've been eating, how much weight I've lost, and how much better I feel.  For about a year now he walks 5 - 7 miles a day, gets on an exercise bike, and has dropped a fair amount of weight.  This makes me proud.

My sister and her husband are both extremely overweight.  We went away together a couple of summers ago, I was disgusted at how they ate.  We got up one morning around the same time.  She took a cheese bagel the size of a Frisbee, cut it in half, covered in in a ton of cheese, baked it in the oven and had it as a snack before breakfast. 

The corruption of the food industry makes me sad.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I talk about my running or cycling adventures and what I've been eating

BTW, when i try this with folks, almost 100% of the folks who aren't already doing it (exercising, eating sanely, etc) are pretty much unable to even grasp what the heck I am talking about.  When I mention a few hours on a bike, it just doesn't compute. When I take a 30+ minute walk at lunch every day? They don't get it. Veggies? As the central component of a diet? No effing way!  And then, oddly, you hear them whinge and moan about all their various issues, or hear the three page list of medicines they need instead of habit changes, and it is quite disheartening.

Tom

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

BTW, when i try this with folks, almost 100% of the folks who aren't already doing it (exercising, eating sanely, etc) are pretty much unable to even grasp what the heck I am talking about.  When I mention a few hours on a bike, it just doesn't compute. When I take a 30+ minute walk at lunch every day? They don't get it. Veggies? As the central component of a diet? No effing way!  And then, oddly, you hear them whinge and moan about all their various issues, or hear the three page list of medicines they need instead of habit changes, and it is quite disheartening.

Tom

I grew up on Hostess and Wonder Bread.  I get it.  It's hard to change.  I used to be 70 pounds heavier than I am now, and never exercised.  I might not be fast, but I've run up Mt Washington 3 times, road up it once, and around it 4 or 5 times.  Sure, lots of people have done all of these, but I used to weigh 250.  Walking up the stairs used to be an activity, and that was less than 10 years ago.

I'm proud of my dad.  I have influenced people at work, not by preaching, but by trying to be a decent role model.

One of my girls at work, a hispanic woman, doctor told her recently, it's not a matter of if she gets diabetes, but when.  She's in her early 30s.  I talked with her a little about what she eats, lots of sugar is in her diet.  We made a pact - she stopped eating her weakness which was gummy bears, I stopped eating boston baked beans (the candy).  It's been a couple of months - so far we've both stuck to it.  

Change happens slow.

• Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Seriously, has a physician ever prescribed eating better?  If they did, an unhealthy person would just find a new doctor.

I can't believe anyone could in good conscience eat something like that DQ garbage, get sick or feel like crap, and then wonder what's happening to them.

Look at pics of people from the 50s, 60s and 70s.  If you're a little more seasoned, look at pics of yourself from that time.  Have you stayed the same size?  Are you healthy?

Don't get me wrong, I used to eat McDonald's and other items that really aren't fit to be considered food, and loved it.  It's an addiction like anything else.  I still have plenty.

I get what you are saying, physicians tell patients to eat better all the time, and nobody does it.  How can a lone vegan do what countless physicians can't, though?  It would help your case if you could break it down a bit into simple interesting chunks, like in the super-short videos from that ENTIRELY non-profit site that was made possible from the physician's book sales of which the proceeds are ENTIRELY donated to charity and to the website that sells exactly NOTHING.  Now where could one find information like that, that someone could use to make their case but has chosen to ignore?  :whistle:

That said, who can resist ice cream, even it if is garbage cream (like almost all ice cream is these days, even that fancy garbage that is proffered as all natural when the most natural thing is the container).

It isn't really fair to compare how big we are now to how big we were in high school or college when all we did was behave like testosterone infused bonobos and had great metabolisms and we had energy for days even though our diets were crap.  We had time to indulge play and sports and do whatever without stress.

I do agree with the addiction thing, I am definitely two kinds of addicted to eating right now.  

13 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And then, oddly, you hear them whinge and moan about all their various issues, or hear the three page list of medicines they need instead of habit changes, and it is quite disheartening.

You fuckers are pretty preachy, you know.  I know you are right (mostly), but it isn't a one-to-one ratio.  Somebody gets hit with a semi-crippling autoimmune disease and their joints don't work so well and it is easy to point at the food you see them eat on vacation or at a bbq, or even how they grew up eating.   At the same time, somebody else eats twice as crappy, drinks a ton, gets no sleep, bangs junkie hookers bareback, and lives a long and healthy life.

Sickness gets even the healthiest of us all, randomly.  I agree that you are dealt a hand out of a deck of 52 cards and that eating really well and exercising might give you an ace, but that might not matter when all your other hole card is a deuce and the flop comes 4,6,7 and your hand just sucks.  

• Heart 1

Last night I had one dream after another. I rarely remember dreaming but I did last night. There's always a weird one. In one dream someone drove their car up on my porch. The two occupants gave me a hateful smile and I rushed to get to the phone to call the police. Then I woke up.

Since I retired I dream every night. Some of the dreams are amazing.

i kind of like the direction this thread took talking about healthy eating and lifestyle.  My doctor is big on eating healthy and exercise. She runs marathons. My cholesterol is higher than either of us like it. She said she would be willing to prescribe a statin if I wanted it but she knew I didn’t want to go that direction. She asks me questions about my diet and makes suggestions. She always smiles and says how much she likes listening to healthy heart and lung sounds when she examines me. I would guess it is hard to be a doctor and have to deal with sick people every day and many of them have brought it on themselves.

• Awesome 1

Wow - you really hit paydirt with that Doc, LJ!  I was resistant to statins at first, leading to that horribibble niacin experience, but I don't recall much discussion before I finally went on it.  My hesitation was assuaged a bit by the fact that they don't require periodic blood tests anymore to check liver function, but who knows if that newfound confidence is warranted.  It seems very few docs press the weight issue, giving up I 'spose.  My biggest health plus has been fixing the sleep apnea problem.  Sleeping well is quite nice. :)

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Wow - you really hit paydirt with that Doc, LJ 

A friend of mine moved from my area to Florida about five years ago. We stay in touch on FB. She is a college professor down at The Cape.  Her cousin flew down to run a marathon with her. When I saw Heidi run that marathon I knew who I wanted for a doctor.

29 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I would guess it is hard to be a doctor and have to deal with sick people every day and many of them have brought it on themselves.

...most sick people are not the courageous, tragic souls we all envision from the movies. 

Dealing with sick people on a daily basis is a royal PIA.  I know this sounds harsh.  nonetheless, it's true.:(

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

Too many doctors tell patients to “lose weight”, “exercise”, “eat better”. But they don’t tell people HOW to do these! Doctors need to be able to prescribe dietitians and trainers as easily as they can pills AND have insurance cover it. 

I heard a story on NPR a couple years ago about a hospital in a low income region. They decided to actually teach people how to eat healthy: how to exercise both in sustainable manners. It was successful. Many patients were able to avoid medications or drop some they had been prescribed in the past. 

Genetics are in play, but healthy lifestyle can help. My dad was on diabetes and blood pressure meds at my age. At my last checkup, they were concerned about my BP. They know it is genetic but I am working to see if I can improve it without meds. We will see at my next checkup. 

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

Too many doctors tell patients to “lose weight”, “exercise”, “eat better”. But they don’t tell people HOW to do these! Doctors need to be able to prescribe dietitians and trainers as easily as they can pills AND have insurance cover it. 

I heard a story on NPR a couple years ago about a hospital in a low income region. They decided to actually teach people how to eat healthy: how to exercise both in sustainable manners. It was successful. Many patients were able to avoid medications or drop some they had been prescribed in the past. 

Genetics are in play, but healthy lifestyle can help. My dad was on diabetes and blood pressure meds at my age. At my last checkup, they were concerned about my BP. They know it is genetic but I am working to see if I can improve it without meds. We will see at my next checkup. 

Common sense is a wonderful thing! That is a great idea to teach the how. 

Still am trying to get this rambley thread.  ?

Meanwhile I'm the midst of writing a blog post on our green tea dessert experience in Japan and Seoul....we had something nearly daily.

I weighed myself just today after not in last 2.5 wks. during our vacation.   Looks like a lost abit of weight after all that eating and walking 4 - 10 kms. daily seeing stuff, while we were during our vacation trip.  We bought a rail pass and used it well.

Yes, I will affirm the Japanese and Koreans in Asia generally are slimmer overall.  I didn't see anyone very obese. Fatness among Asians,  is like my mother...kinda dumpy and should lose approx. 40 lbs. or less.  (Actually I give her slack since she will be 85 and has cooked healthy for all her 6 children and for herself.  That alone is a serious feat and gift to her children's health/foundation.  We don't tell her how to cook/eat.  She knows.  She is the person who taught us how to cook her healthy dishes)

2 minutes ago, groupw said:

My first female doctor gave me all kind of advice on eating healthy and getting proper exercise. She gave me tons of pamphlets, I felt like she was preaching to the choir but it enforced what I was doing on my own. That was over twenty years ago, she moved out of town and the guy that took over was a nice guy but didn’t really seem concerned about my health.

On 7/6/2018 at 10:01 PM, Randomguy said:

You fuckers are pretty preachy, you know.  I know you are right (mostly), but it isn't a one-to-one ratio.  Somebody gets hit with a semi-crippling autoimmune disease and their joints don't work so well and it is easy to point at the food you see them eat on vacation or at a bbq, or even how they grew up eating.   At the same time, somebody else eats twice as crappy, drinks a ton, gets no sleep, bangs junkie hookers bareback, and lives a long and healthy life.

Sickness gets even the healthiest of us all, randomly.  I agree that you are dealt a hand out of a deck of 52 cards and that eating really well and exercising might give you an ace, but that might not matter when all your other hole card is a deuce and the flop comes 4,6,7 and your hand just sucks.  

If someone has a semi-crippling autoimmune disease and their joints don't work so well, either they CAN fix it with changes in habit or they CAN'T change it with habit changes.  Folks who CAN but DON'T change things they are able to via habit changes are far less rare than you might believe.  Te folks who can't are really up to the mercy of what modern medicine may offer, but I think it is also safe to say that making positive changes to diet, exercise, and mental health are all good things to be striven for.

Tom