As you get older, do you like taking showers?

Dottleshead

I like taking showers.  But I find them now to be a pain in the ass.  Is it because I find them too much work and I just don't want to be bothered -- so I put them off?  Or is it that I've secured a mate and I no longer feel the need to impress?  Or is it just be I'm a lazy bastard?? Discuss.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Showers are ok.  Being clean is good.  I get so dirty that showers are absolutely necessary.  I had mud on my face last night.  ?‍♀️

We are renting a bedroom in a mansion right now.  The shower is bigger than my entire 2nd bathroom.  I think it is about 30% bigger.  This is how the rich people live.  Airbnb is pretty sweet.  

We are through AirBNB too but leaving today. Great place here in the center of town at a disgustingly cheap rate. Oh, and a huge shower head!

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

We are through AirBNB too but leaving today. Great place here in the center of town at a disgustingly cheap rate. Oh, and a huge shower head!

A commercial kitchen, the size of my living room.  You can fit my entire home in the master bedroom, bath and kitchen. The home sits on 4 acres with gardens surrounding it, and there is a creek at the back.  Swanky.

My problem is that I usually ride or cut grass or whatever in the latter hours of the day in order to avoid the sun, the heat and the cars.   Many times I come in the house at 9 PM or later.  I still have to eat dinner and, of course, I have to take a shower.  But if I shower first, I'll be eating dinner at 10 PM.  So I usually eat first and put off the shower till later.  But then, after I eat, I'll get tired and sleepy and the thought of showering isn't as appealing as it should be.  Of course, I do shower.  I would never go to bed with all that dried up sweat on my body.  But it is a no-win situation.  Shower first and eat late, or eat first and drag my ass into the shower when I am really tired and ready for bed.

Just now, shootingstar said:

I grew up with a bathtub only. No shower.  This is for a family of 6 children.

After leaving home, it's been showers all the way.  Convenient.  I feel quite clean...shower daily.  Even in winter.

I grew up in a farmhouse. No shower...

I never take a bath now, it's my annual shower or nuttin'.

30 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Sweaty bastard ruining the community pool. Nice play.

They been some mansweat to offset the kid pee

22 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I grew up with a bathtub only. No shower.  This is for a family of 6 children.

After leaving home, it's been showers all the way.  Convenient.  I feel quite clean...shower daily.  Even in winter.

I’ll bet it was a fight to see who got the water first.

Last couple of weeks I photographed 2 homes in a 55+ retirement community that had virtually identical floorplans. Noted a difference in the master bath. One had a traditional tub where the other had seat. The one with the tub also had a more substantive "doorless" walkin shower and dropped the second vanity.

Notice how I put a flash in the shower to light them up...but despite being at 1/64 power, may have been a little too bright.

1017 Nantucket Sound - 1500px-21.jpg

8798 Beacon Hill - 1500px-32.jpg

8798 Beacon Hill - 1500px-34.jpg

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

Sweaty bastard ruining the community pool. Nice play.

It is either that or the lake. No alligators or snakes in the pool...or at least I could see them, where lake visibility is about a foot due to the tannic acid from the oak tree runoff. Now that I think of it, while restrooms are in the pavilion, there is no showerhead mounted anywhere around the pool for "pre-shower"

Community Amenity - 2500px-1.jpg

47 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They been some mansweat to offset the kid pee

I’ll bet it was a fight to see who got the water first.

Um, no. Each person used fresh bathtub water....except when two babies would be washed together.  I was the teen who occasionally washed youngest sibling in the tub. That youngest sibling...is the doctor-sis now. My mother had a rule:  only when the child could sit up fully unassisted, for me to handle a squealing young child.  

However my partner did have to use the bathwater from previous family members on same day in the 1950's.  His mother was last....this is what happened.. for the role of women...in many European and Asian societies.  Thank god for liberation and equality:  clean bath water.

I like a good hot shower, I like feeling clean.  There are lots of days during the summer I will do a 6 mile "all-out" ride to work and if it is warm, will shower when I get there prior to starting work.  Then I will do a 35ish mile ride home.  I am a sweater so  am drenched when I get home, so a second shower before bed.  I better like them, I seem to take a lot of them

• Awesome 1

When I had a broken hip I learned to like a shower chair in the shower. There wasn’t really enough room to leave it in either our tub shower or our shower stall so I got out of the habit. I think they are a great idea, better than balancing on one foot while trying to wash the other one. I used it after my shoulder injury too.

14 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I get in, soap up everything, rinse, get out.  Total time usually less than 3 minutes.

I guess I'm wasteful....very warm showers up to 10 min. or longer, any season.  It also relaxes me after work and after bike commute ride.  I used to shower very early in morning before work. But it became too early for me and my hair wouldn't dry on time.  The helmet left an ugly crown imprint on wet  hair for me.  

Sure, dearie is faster in shower than I.  So it means I tend to get up earlier, first for shower, on vacation trips where we're in hotels.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I get in, soap up everything, rinse, get out.  Total time usually less than 3 minutes.

When I worked the forge shop I got in the shower and got wet, then pumped a handful  of industrial cleaner that has a big warning label on it “FOR INDUSTRIAL showers only!” I washed my hair with that first handful. Then I pumped a second handful onto my washcloth and started washing the rest of my body. This usually took about four pumps. Then when I was all rinsed off I would go look in the mirror to see what I missed (always miss something). If it wasn’t too bad I would switch to my shampoo and then to my body wash to get the industrial cleaner washed off. Total time 20 to thirty minutes. Then I would get a clean uniform out of my locker to wear home. If I rode my bike I would make sure I had several clean uniforms in case someone steals one and I would wear my bike clothes home. If I only have one clean uniform left I stuff it in my bike bag so I’m sure to have it when I ride into work the next day.

• Heart 1

24 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

When I worked the forge shop I got in the shower and got wet, then pumped a handful  of industrial cleaner that has a big warning label on it “FOR INDUSTRIAL showers only!” I washed my hair with that first handful. Then I pumped a second handful onto my washcloth and started washing the rest of my body. This usually took about four pumps. Then when I was all rinsed off I would go look in the mirror to see what I missed (always miss something). If it wasn’t too bad I would switch to my shampoo and then to my body wash to get the industrial cleaner washed off. Total time 20 to thirty minutes. Then I would get a clean uniform out of my locker to wear home. If I rode my bike I would make sure I had several clean uniforms in case someone steals one and I would wear my bike clothes home. If I only have one clean uniform left I stuff it in my bike bag so I’m sure to have it when I ride into work the next day.

I've seen pics of when you worked, my method would not have worked for you.

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

You don't get extra points for basic training behaviors.

I've never been in the military.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Further said:

I prefer to shower at work, on the clock, using their water & soap. But I like showering enough that I shower at home using my own soap & water when I'm not working.

I liked showering when I was young, also.

I never got to shower on the clock. Production worked until the next shift relieved them. Sometimes my relief operator would give me the last break on our crew but I had paperwork to do and I liked to make sure my tools got locked up so it was almost wasted on me. Some of the other guys would take the last break of the day and run to the locker room. Jump in the shower and do a quick once over. They would be coming out of the locker room as I was going in. They didn’t check the mirror and had raccoon eyes.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

I never got to shower on the clock. Production worked until the next shift relieved them. Sometimes my relief operator would give me the last break on our crew but I had paperwork to do and I liked to make sure my tools got locked up so it was almost wasted on me. Some of the other guys would take the last break of the day and run to the locker room. Jump in the shower and do a quick once over. They would be coming out of the locker room as I was going in. They didn’t check the mirror and had raccoon eyes.

It's not official but we are granted a 1/2 hour to clean up, it's they're dirt. We are expected to be ready to start at starting time, uniform, PPE, and tools ready to go. 

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

I like showers and avoid baths. A bath is just swimming in your own slime.

WRONG!  A long hot relaxing bath is a prelude to the final act of a thorough shower.  A shower can be separate or part of the bath scenario, but a bath can never occur on its own.

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

You don't get clean like that, you just fooling yourself if you think you do.  Ten minutes minimum is what it takes to exit a shower clean.  Hot water, too, as hot as you can stand it.

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

You don't get clean like that, you just fooling yourself if you think you do.  Ten minutes minimum is what it takes to exit a shower clean.  Hot water, too, as hot as you can stand it.

You like to research, read up on how bad that is for your skin, which, by the way, is your largest organ system.