I am not as interested in what you are reading, but rather what you think I should read, and why

Randomguy

Well, of course I read the threads about what you are reading, but that is only half the story (or less).  

I just finished a WWII historical fictionette kind of thing, and it was interesting more for the interpersonal content in the minds of the protagonists rather than the style of writing of this particular author, but I do like historical fiction.  Non-fiction is often way more interesting a topic in topic form, but most of it overwrought with only the briefest nuance in the actual writing, and I want salacious if I am reading non-fiction.  I want to feel the bubonic plague, for instance, or get a glimpse of how soon after the battle victory the sacking of the churches will begin.  Most of the non-fiction writers have trouble 'grabbing' me and pulling me in like a Polish farm girl in the hands of the nazis in 1939, they need to set the scene as well or better than giving a birds-eye view of the big picture stuff.

I guess that is the long-winded way of saying that I am looking for fiction now, with good writing, story, and character development.  

What do you think I should read, and why?

Find and read "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson.

It is two parallel true stories.  One is about the organizing and setting up the Chicago World's Fair.  Lots of interesting insight about America at the time and some random trivia to lay down at bars to show the chickies how smart and well read you are.

The second story is about a serial killer that stalked young ladies who traveled to see the Fair, who, if he had of had an Internet and a cycling forum to vent on, may have only resigned himself to perving on the ladies at the Fair.

7 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Find and read "The Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson.

It is two parallel true stories.  One is about the organizing and setting up the Chicago World's Fair.  Lots of interesting insight about America at the time and some random trivia to lay down at bars to show the chickies how smart and well read you are.

The second story is about a serial killer that stalked young ladies who traveled to see the Fair, who, if he had of had an Internet and a cycling forum to vent on, may have only resigned himself to perving on the ladies at the Fair.

7 hours ago, Kirby said:

Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey - not so much on the character development, but interesting.

Ok, those both sound good.  I forgot to mention, though, that I am on a free month of Kindle Unlimited, which ironically limits my choices to the books that are on Kindle Unlimited, and unfortunately, those two aren't included.  :(

Ok, you want salacious...funny, entertaining yet informative?

Laughing all the Way to the Mosque. By Zaraqua Nawaz.  She is Canadian and lived with her psychiatrist husband and their children in Saskatchewan.  She wrote the scripts for the Canadian TV series "Little Mosque on the Prairie" which ran for several years and has been syndicated in several countries.  She is formally trained as a journalist, did write professionally for various news outlets in Canada.

It's about herself, and weird funny stuff that happens living at ground level in Canada...as an educated Muslim woman whose husband is progressive, liberal and supportive of what she does.

Go for the Classics.  

Read "20,000 Leagues under the Sea", a great story and great characters.

Read "The Count of Monte Cristo". It has everything.  Love, hate, betrayal, loyalty, revenge, reward, even a few pirates and even a couple lesbians thrown in for good measure.  Probably ( outside of 20,000 LUTS ) my favorite book and I read it every three or four years.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Go for the Classics.  

Read "20,000 Leagues under the Sea", a great story and great characters.

Read "The Count of Monte Cristo". It has everything.  Love, hate, betrayal, loyalty, revenge, reward, even a few pirates and even a couple lesbians thrown in for good measure.  Probably ( outside of 20,000 LUTS ) my favorite book and I read it every three or four years.

...or read Moby Dick, and then change your forum name to Ishmael.

• Awesome 1

34 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

I have read " Moby Dick". My suggestion, read the opening line "Call me Ishmael" then flip to the first time they see the whale which is about 26 pages from the end of the 550 page book.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Page Turner said:

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.” 

• Heart 2

4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.” 

Sounds like the Cafe.