World Cup Semifinal predictions

Dottleshead

Well, 2 of my 4 teams got into the semis.  I had Croatia and England passing through.  Now it's:

TUESDAY, JULY 10      

Match 61: France vs. Belgium

2 p.m. ET

Saint Petersburg

Fox

WEDNESDAY, JULY 11      

Match 62: Croatia vs. England

2 p.m. ET

Moscow

Fox

I'm just going to openly admit that i want Croatia.  I'm going to pick them over England.  I guess I'm picking Belgium over France.

My Final:    Croatia versus Belgium

I admit though -- I'm not very confident.  It's a tough pick this year.

6 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

<attention>

For those not fluent in Spanish, the English language broadcast is on Fox (main channel not sports) today for the second semi final game between England and Croatia.  I'm not telling you who won so as not to spoil your enjoyment of the game.

:nyanya:

I will not look on ESPN or countless other websites either.  Thank you.

Ok it's not hard to call this.  Croatia is exciting pushing forward.  But I think the English have a very potent counter attack.  I'm thinking eventually Croats tie this up if it continues -- but this also could turn into a lopsided loss if England hits on a counter because then the Croats will be forced to push even more.

There is no such thing as a high kick.  It's a dangerous play and it's totally up to the ref to judge what's dangerous.  You could argue that it was but the fact that he connected with the ball and put it in the back of the net.... takes the zing out of that argument.  Max might have better insight.

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

There is no such thing as a high kick.  It's a dangerous play and it's totally up to the ref to judge what's dangerous.  You could argue that it was but the fact that he connected with the ball and put it in the back of the net.... takes the zing out of that argument.  Max might have better insight.

I know nothing about soccer.  Heard something about dangerous play, high kick near head, but I am of the no blood, no foul school. 

2 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I know nothing about soccer.  Heard something about dangerous play, high kick near head, but I am of the no blood, no foul school. 

Both Max and I refereed the game. But Max has FAR more experience at it than I do.  I hope he chimes in. We are both former players.

21 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The announcers at half time were leaning that way.  Honestly if he hadn't connected and scored, the ref may have called it -- although he isn't calling much of anything.

That's to the advantage of a thuggish team. Lovren should already have had 3 or more yellows.

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Such strong language, Max.  I'm not seeing the 'thug' in thuggish. I hope you're not losing money on this game.

Then you weren't watching Lovren throwing cross body blocks early in the game.  In addition you probably don't know the reputation of this ref vis a vis English players in prior years.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

In addition you probably don't know the reputation of this ref vis a vis English players in prior years.

Correct.  We have agreement here.

But even so, I don't see the pussycat English players you fail to speak of. I've watched a physical game on both sides.  And I'm also watching a Croatian team beating them.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Then you weren't watching Lovren throwing cross body blocks early in the game.  In addition you probably don't know the reputation of this ref vis a vis English players in prior years.

36 minutes ago, Dottles said:

The announcers at half time were leaning that way.  Honestly if he hadn't connected and scored, the ref may have called it -- although he isn't calling much of anything.

13 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

That's to the advantage of a thuggish team. Lovren should already have had 3 or more yellows.

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Such strong language, Max.  I'm not seeing the 'thug' in thuggish. I hope you're not losing money on this game.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

OOOOH, A soccer fight.  When will tea be served?

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

They did it!  I was hoping but wasn't so sure.  Same deal as the final coming up.  I hope but won't be making any bets any time soon.  Actually, I don't gamble so -- well I hope you understand me.

I had house guests this week who are of Croatian descent. So I was a relatively early addition to their fan base.