Central Coast Ride #2

ChrisL

We stayed in Cambria and it was -- awesome.  Somebody on this website recommended we do and I owe that guy a lot.  My wife and I loved it and to this day I had the best Affogato I've ever had there.  We didn't have time to ride but both my wife and I were salivating over the stretch between Morro Bay and Ragged Point.

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

We stayed in Cambria and it was -- awesome.  Somebody on this website recommended we do and I owe that guy a lot.  My wife and I loved it and to this day I had the best Affogato I've ever had there.  We didn't have time to ride but both my wife and I were salivating over the stretch between Morro Bay and Ragged Point.

My sister had 10 acres in Santa Margarita so we used to go up a lot and explore when the kids were young using her house as a base. So we've done Cambria, Morro, Pismo Hearst Castle and even Big Sir several times.  Now that the kids are grown we decided to go back and make it a ride weekend.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

My sister had 10 acres in Santa Margarita so we used to go up a lot and explore when the kids were young using her house as a base. So we've done Cambria, Morro, Pismo Hearst Castle and even Big Sir several times.  Now that the kids are grown we decided to go back and make it a ride weekend.

+1

Big Sur would have been out of my skill set.

10 hours ago, Dottles said:

+1

Big Sur would have been out of my skill set.

Back in the day my Brother in Law, who introduced me to cycling, took me on an epic ride from Big Sir to Morro.  My sister saged for us so all we had to do was ride.  It was an epic ride and the hills around Big Sir were a blast.  Riding over that historic old bridge was kind of scary tho as the road is narrow, the sides are low and the drop is far!

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Back in the day my Brother in Law, who introduced me to cycling, took me on an epic ride from Big Sir to Morro.  My sister saged for us so all we had to do was ride.  It was an epic ride and the hills around Big Sir were a blast.  Riding over that historic old bridge was kind of scary tho as the road is narrow, the sides are low and the drop is far!

It's a beautiful, scenic ride but it can be challenging just for a car.  :)

1 minute ago, az_cyclist said:

thanks.  I have a long distance cycling mentor, and have trained to ride them.  the payoff is some great scenery

That's the way I prefer to ride too.  But it seems I only have time to get into 50-80 mile range shape when I get going.  I only have a couple century rides in me but have done a lot of 50+ rides.  Mainly, I think, is because it takes a lot of time. A 40 miler and you still have half the day.  Anything above that typically ends up consuming my entire day. 

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

That's the way I prefer to ride too.  But it seems I only have time to get into 50-80 mile range shape when I get going.  I only have a couple century rides in me but have done a lot of 50+ rides.  Mainly, I think, is because it takes a lot of time. A 40 miler and you still have half the day.  Anything above that typically ends up consuming my entire day. 

My mentor rode with a club with a faster pace, so I started doing that too.  Most of the the routes are between 40 and 50 miles, and the rolling average for the B group is 17-18 mph.  That gets you done by noon or so even in the winter, when the rides start at 8 am.  Riding faster over the years made me stronger.  For the doubles in the California Triple Crown series that I have ridden to date, I have always ridden with friends.  It may be that I will ride some of them solo in the future, which makes me think about pacing, especially not starting too fast or too slow.

• 5 years later...
On 7/8/2018 at 8:33 PM, Dottleshead said:

See the other thread @ChrisL. It was you who recommended it.  Good man.

• Heart 1