Did Someone Say Chickpeas???

Razors Edge

I’ve never read up on the pros and cons of chick peas. I try not to overdo it on canned vegetables and I guess that’s pretty much the way you find them. ( do they sell fresh or frozen chick peas?). I have never had them at home but usually add a generous scoop of them to my salad at a salad bar.

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I’ve never read up on the pros and cons of chick peas. I try not to overdo it on canned vegetables and I guess that’s pretty much the way you find them. ( do they sell fresh or frozen chick peas?). I have never had them at home but usually add a generous scoop of them to my salad at a salad bar.

I know they also come as dried chickpeas that you then soak like other dried beans. For me, that's too much effort, but some folks are pretty good with pressure cookers or slow cookers, so they can get the beans super cheap in the bulk food section.

Canned chickpeas have a variety of different "normal" tastes. I don't normally use the TJs brand, but go for Bushs, Goya, or Progresso which I prefer.

The pros of garbanzos is that they are delicious and versatile. 

Tom

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

I may have to try this...

Essentially, the steps on page two were: 1) combine the chickpeas, onion, celery, and pickles in a big bowl; 2) in a smaller bowl, whisk the other stuff together; & 3) combine it all and mix well, and use a fork (or masher?) to crush as many chickpeas as you want to. I break them all up, but some folks like a 50/50 whole-to-crushed mix.

Tom

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

I know they also come as dried chickpeas that you then soak like other dried beans. For me, that's too much effort, but some folks are pretty good with pressure cookers or slow cookers, so they can get the beans super cheap in the bulk food section.

Canned chickpeas have a variety of different "normal" tastes. I don't normally use the TJs brand, but go for Bushs, Goya, or Progresso which I prefer.

The pros of garbanzos is that they are delicious and versatile. 

Tom

..this is just what I wold expect from someone who buys a turbocharged car.:angry:

Dried organic garbonzo beans are readily available in the bulk section at the co-op.  They are cheaper than the canned version, and they have the unique benefit of not wasting all the resources used to can them. Preparing them is simplicity itself.  You simply pour boiling water over a cupful of them in a bowl (with room for expansion) the evening before you need them. Then you simmer them with salt and half an onion in the water the next day for about half an hour while you are doing something else.  

When used, they maintain a slightly stiffer consistency, which makes them superior for use in things like hummus.  (Which I make every week here.)

I hope that your entitled, lazy, millennial ass will at least try them sometime, to help me in saving the planet, one can at a time.

13 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

..this is just what I wold expect from someone who buys a turbocharged car.:angry:

Dried organic garbonzo beans are readily available in the bulk section at the co-op.  They are cheaper than the canned version, and they have the unique benefit of not wasting all the resources used to can them. Preparing them is simplicity itself.  You simply pour boiling water over a cupful of them in a bowl (with room for expansion) the evening before you need them. Then you simmer them with salt and half an onion in the water the next day for about half an hour while you are doing something else.  

When used, they maintain a slightly stiffer consistency, which makes them superior for use in things like hummus.  (Which I make every week here.)

I hope that your entitled, lazy, millennial ass will at least try them sometime, to help me in saving the planet, one can at a time.

Man, I wish I was a Millennial!  I am, however, still young enough that the doctor compliments me that my resting HR is lower than my age!

And, why not buy a car with a turbo? I bet, in the long run, it would do more for the planet than skimping on chickpea cans. Heck, I know it would.  Do you hate the planet?

Tom 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Man, I wish I was a Millennial!  I am, however, still young enough that the doctor compliments me that my resting HR is lower than my age!

And, why not buy a car with a turbo? I bet, in the long run, it would do more for the planet than skimping on chickpea cans. Heck, I know it would.  Do you hate the planet?

Tom 

...sure.  Once you're finished with that car you can just recycle it with all those chick pea cans.   Shouldn't take much longer, either.:)

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...sure.  Once you're finished with that car you can just recycle it with all those chick pea cans.   Shouldn't take much longer, either.:)

Oddly enough, my next "car" is likely the F-150 with a turbo and all sorts of aluminum!  My current car lacks a turbo and seems to be just steel and plastic.

Tom

24 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Oddly enough, my next "car" is likely the F-150 with a turbo and all sorts of aluminum!  My current car lacks a turbo and seems to be just steel and plastic.

Tom

...what's your reasoning behind buying a turbocharged engine ?  Do you  see it as a waste to let all those hot exhaust gasses go out the tailpipe without recycling them ?

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...what's your reasoning behind buying a turbocharged engine ?  Do you  see it as a waste to let all those hot exhaust gasses go out the tailpipe without recycling them ?

Uh, yeah.  Why would you waste essentially free power and/or better MPG???? 

Tom

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Uh, yeah.  Why would you waste essentially free power and/or better MPG???? 

Tom

...because it's not free ?  Is this a trick question ? Dammit, I never can figure out when it's a trick question. :(

It would be swell if turbocharging came for free, and all the materials technology and design advances have made such engines as reliable, low maintenance, and long lived as a standard, normally aspirated fuel injected IC engine.  Unfortunately, that is far from demonstrable at this point in time.  Even assuming you won't put increasing stress on the engine bearing, piston, and rod assemblies from the use of your turbo, there's still the turbo unit itself to consider, with its seals and moving parts and bearings (all operating off some pretty hot air coming out of the exhaust.)

OTOH, why am I telling this to some guy who rides a plastic bike ?:facepalm:

• 3 weeks later...

Hey...made this today...forgot the dillweed option..but I could add it...

Went looking for this thread cos my tahini was a bit dry...and I wondered if it was the right consistency...and looking at the pic...I think I got it right....I have some Wasa Rye Krisp...I do believe it is a match...I also have some pita bread...

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Hey...made this today...forgot the dillweed option..but I could add it...

Went looking for this thread cos my tahini was a bit dry...and I wondered if it was the right consistency...and looking at the pic...I think I got it right....I have some Wasa Rye Krisp...I do believe it is a match...I also have some pita bread...

Cool.  Hope you like it.  I am sure there are tweaks that can be made to make it suit your tastes.  Ours was definitely "dry" and not wet. 

Tom

• Heart 1