Funny thing about Americans..

Wilbur

This observation comes from 40 years of travel and hotels so it isn't something I just observed yesterday.

When an American enters an elevator you are in, they always say "Good morning!" but don't initiate further conversation. Once I initiate a conversation, the are generally good about keeping it going. 

When Europeans or Canadians enter an elevator, their eyes go straight to the floor and skip the salutations.  If you initiate a conversation, Canadians generally reciprocate whereas Europeans tend to remain quiet. 

If you are in a Canadian hotel, full of Canadians, often, there are are no words or greetings.  It is strange. 

When at a restaurant, an American server will almost always start with a "Hey, how are you" but are caught off guard when I respond with "Excellent, how are you?"  They always come back with a surprised look and "Fine, thank you for asking!".  

Subtle differences but I think Americans are better at salutations. I am always surprised when Americans claim Canadians are so friendly. 

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

When an American enters an elevator you are in, they always say "Good morning!" but don't initiate further conversation. Once I initiate a conversation, the are generally good about keeping it going. 

Whassup, dog?

28 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

When at a restaurant, an American server will almost always start with a "Hey, how are you" but are caught off guard when I respond with "Excellent, how are you?"  They always come back with a surprised look and "Fine, thank you for asking!".  

It's different outside the cities. Often, you are expected to continue a conversation that you engage in.

Ct7zpM2WcAAqlSc.jpg

• Heart 1

I have noticed something along those lines too. "How you doin'?" is many peoples' way if saying Hi. To me, it's a legitimate question; so I reply with, "Doin' alright, how you doin'?" Many times it catches them off guard. It's as though they don't expect the person they just said that to, to ask it back. Why wouldn't I? If they just say Hi, that's how I will reply back. But if they do the How ya doin' thing, I'll respond in kind. 

• Heart 1

17 minutes ago, smudge said:

I have noticed something along those lines too. "How you doin'?" is many peoples' way if saying Hi. To me, it's a legitimate question; so I reply with, "Doin' alright, how you doin'?" Many times it catches them off guard. It's as though they don't expect the person they just said that to, to ask it back. Why wouldn't I? If they just say Hi, that's how I will reply back. But if they do the How ya doin' thing, I'll respond in kind. 

I've never understood people who ask during that salutation but don't expect an answer. What type of greeting is that? (which is what I think in my head). I myself, very rarely greet someone "How you doing?" With strangers, I actually rarely say good morning first in the elevator.  It's just me...eyes to the floor quite often.  I know it seems rude ..especially if I am by myself.  I tend to be protective.

1 hour ago, smudge said:

There is a local greeting that I just can't seem to cope with. In fact, at this moment I can't recall if it is "How you doin'" or "How are ya". Either one throws me for a loop. I believe the correct response is "How ya doin'?". This is totally outside my way of thinking. Somebody asks you, "How ya doin'?", you're supposed to say, " Fine. How are you?"

I can't help it.

2b0903164a94abded8d972e8d372f869.jpg

I said good morning to the lady in the parking garage elevator.  she said good morning back and then it was crickets.  Neither of us greeted the lady that got on at the next to last stop.

I did not speak to the guy on the elevator to the my office.

I wonder if I am Canadian, eh?:dontknow:

Interesting observations. I think it's also a regional thing in the states where southerners and people from the Midwest are generally more friendly and engaging to strangers than people out west like SoCal who can be stand offish to and less likely to engage a stranger in conversation.   

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Interesting observations. I think it's also a regional thing in the states where southerners and people from the Midwest are generally more friendly and engaging to strangers than people out west like SoCal who can be stand offish to and less likely to engage a stranger in conversation.   

Shut up.

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Wilbur said:

This observation comes from 40 years of travel and hotels so it isn't something I just observed yesterday.

When Europeans or Canadians enter an elevator, their eyes go straight to the floor and skip the salutations.  If you initiate a conversation, Canadians generally reciprocate whereas Europeans tend to remain quiet. 

If you are in a Canadian hotel, full of Canadians, often, there are are no words or greetings.  It is strange. 

Subtle differences but I think Americans are better at salutations. I am always surprised when Americans claim Canadians are so friendly. 

My ex-wife used to think I was social embarassment in Czech Republic for saying 'Dobry Den' or "Ahoj" to strangers.  In fact, talking to strangers on trains is even discouraged.  Mostly Europeans stare straight ahead on them.   I notice my coworkers from Germany and Netherlands don't say anything either.  And yet we ran into a Canadian couple down visiting on the 4th of July (from Port Coquitlam or PoCo as he said insiders call it) and struck up a conversation with them.  Very easy.  Very friendly.  Probably because I'm not immersed into your culture -- but I still find Canadians to be some of the friendliest folks I've come across.

38 minutes ago, Dottles said:

My ex-wife used to think I was social embarassment in Czech Republic for saying 'Dobry Den' or "Ahoj" to strangers.  In fact, talking to strangers on trains is even discouraged.  Mostly Europeans stare straight ahead on them.   I notice my coworkers from Germany and Netherlands don't say anything either.  And yet we ran into a Canadian couple down visiting on the 4th of July (from Port Coquitlam or PoCo as he said insiders call it) and struck up a conversation with them.  Very easy.  Very friendly.  Probably because I'm not immersed into your culture -- but I still find Canadians to be some of the friendliest folks I've come across.

I never go out with jsharr where at least half a dozen people call him an Ahoj.  The ones that really seem to respond to him call him an effin ahoj.