How about Travis Pastrana

petitepedal

None of the jumps even seemed hard for Pastrana.  After seeing all the crazy stuff the Nitro Circus and X Games and Red Bull riders do, the three jumps almost seemed tame.

I would really like to see a heads up comparison of the bike Evel rode versus the bike Travis rode.  Weight, horsepower, torque, gearing.  Even seem some real time numbers for accellaration, etc.   

The machines have changed, the science has changed and Travis had the advantage of decades of jumping under his belt before attempting these three very basic, to him, jumps.

It was a bit anti climatic to me after seeing how simple the first jump was for Travis.  

• Heart 1

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I had that!   Wind it up and let it rip!

Tom

So did I, and the RV with the ramp that he could jump over.

58 minutes ago, jsharr said:

None of the jumps even seemed hard for Pastrana.  After seeing all the crazy stuff the Nitro Circus and X Games and Red Bull riders do, the three jumps almost seemed tame.

I would really like to see a heads up comparison of the bike Evel rode versus the bike Travis rode.  Weight, horsepower, torque, gearing.  Even seem some real time numbers for accellaration, etc.   

The machines have changed, the science has changed and Travis had the advantage of decades of jumping under his belt before attempting these three very basic, to him, jumps.

It was a bit anti climatic to me after seeing how simple the first jump was for Travis.  

Yeah this is a big part of it and from what I heard Evel wasn't even using the best bike for jumping of his era but was hell bent on using Harley's.  Had he used a motocross bike of the era he probably would have broken a few less bones but hey the crashes were part of the thrill right!?!?

11 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Yeah this is a big part of it and from what I heard Evel wasn't even using the best bike for jumping of his era but was hell bent on using Harley's.  Had he used a motocross bike of the era he probably would have broken a few less bones but hey the crashes were part of the thrill right!?!?

And who cares what Evel Knievel used??? The REAL question is "What did Fonzie use?"!!!!

Tom

15 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

And who cares what Evel Knievel used??? The REAL question is "What did Fonzie use?"!!!!

Tom

Fonzie "Henry Winkler" was scared of the 47 knucklehead they got for him in season 1 and rode a Triumph Scrambler in subsequent seasons.

http://www.ridingvintage.com/2013/07/aaaaeeeyyy-what-happened-to-fonzies.html

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

Weight of the bikes were supposedly the same, 300 pound range I believe they said.  Power was better on Pastrana's as you'd expect.  Suspension was better, but nothing like the dirt bikes Travis usually rides.

What's the biggest difference, all the computer modeling done so all the ramps were setup perfectly, and he knew the exact speed at which to be at the end of each ramp.  Evil just setup ramps, said that looks good and went for it.  So yeah, in some ways it was kind of a boring jump because everything was modeled out so well, not that I'm about to do it.

But from a jumping standpoint, the bikes were pretty close, as Evil's was capable of hitting the speed needed for the jumps. 

Travis is an all time great at this stuff and by his standards, this stuff is tame.

• Heart 2

41 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So did I, and the RV with the ramp that he could jump over.

Harley's and Truimphs.  His daughter said she was greatly disappointed that neither Harley or Truimph stepped up to back this.  She thanked Indian for doing so and working with them to get a bike setup to do this and as close to her Dad's as they did.  Apparently she was fairly involved in all of this.

And a lot of people seem to forget.  Robbie Knievel did do the fountain jump also, but he also did it on a dirt bike.  That's what makes Travis's jump better, he used a heavier less balanced street bike was far less suspension travel.

9 hours ago, petitepedal said:

He nail 3 of Evel Knievel's jumps

Are you ready to try this @BR46

No

The Caesar Palace jump is 144 feet the biggest jump I ever did was around 80 feet and I wasn't comfortable with that. The reason I wasn't comfortable with the 80 ft.  jump was if you came up short it was going to hurt. 

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Indy said:

Weight of the bikes were supposedly the same, 300 pound range I believe they said.  Power was better on Pastrana's as you'd expect.  Suspension was better, but nothing like the dirt bikes Travis usually rides.

What's the biggest difference, all the computer modeling done so all the ramps were setup perfectly, and he knew the exact speed at which to be at the end of each ramp.  Evil just setup ramps, said that looks good and went for it.  So yeah, in some ways it was kind of a boring jump because everything was modeled out so well, not that I'm about to do it.

But from a jumping standpoint, the bikes were pretty close, as Evil's was capable of hitting the speed needed for the jumps. 

Travis is an all time great at this stuff and by his standards, this stuff is tame.

Heard a guy on the radio today in Dallas saying that the Harley that Evel rode was 30 lbs heavier and had half the horsepower of the bike Travis was on.

On the fountain jump, Travis did it the other way because it is easier that way.  The way Evel and others did it, the landing is much much harder due to concrete wall and pillars.

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

Heard a guy on the radio today in Dallas saying that the Harley that Evel rode was 30 lbs heavier and had half the horsepower of the bike Travis was on.

On the fountain jump, Travis did it the other way because it is easier that way.  The way Evel and others did it, the landing is much much harder due to concrete wall and pillars.

Evel probably had to do it the other way to get enough run up to get up to speed, that's where the added HP helps, though I'm sure Travis could've pulled it off the other direction just as easily.