SPF Clothing????

Razors Edge

I understand the long sleeve sun-shirts that folks can wear during water activities to save on multiple applications of sunscreen to their arms & torso, but beyond that sort of thing, doesn't almost all clothing give adequate sun protection?  

For example, my bike jersey is pretty thin and breathable, but I definitely have a farmer's tan going on with lily white upper arms, shoulders, and torso, versus a mild tan on my arms (I apply sunscreen to my limbs & face for rides, but not for just wandering around on daily outdoor activity).  So, it seems my bike jersey does a pretty good job keeping me from burning, but perhaps it is failing in an invisible harmful UV ray sort of way?

Anyway, is there really a need for SPF ratings on clothes other than those sun-shirts for water activities?

Tom

I got sun burnt wearing only a long sleeve cycling jersey. I have a long sleeve "fishing" shirt that has a high spf rating. I work in it under certain conditions. SPF clothing let's me keep cool. Sunscreen has a tendency to interfere with perspiration type cooling. I wear sunscreen a lot when riding the bike.

There is a traditional white shirt worn by southern Mexican men. It is a white cotton shirt with a very tight weave. I would get some if I could find them for sale.

I've always wondered about such clothing. I haven't got as far to cover up my arms. To me, it feels overtanned...from years. Even though I throw on sublock.  I don't choose any special jersey since most have a tighter weave...and my upper body skin is protected..there is noticeable quality of protected skin vs. other areas.  I don't wear halter tops, tank tops nor crop tops when exercising outdoors. It's just not me...no matter how hot it gets.

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

So long as I ride on my trails I'm unlikely to get sun burned.  We are almost always under tree cover.

One day I was getting ready for a 2 hour woods race and as I was getting ready Wo46 asked me if I needed sunscreen. 

I no I'm good the helmet has more spf than anything that you can rub on your skin. 

Screenshot_20180710-063431.thumb.png.6da8a959839d49307c4378a1d335f736.png

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, BR46 said:

One day I was getting ready for a 2 hour woods race and as I was getting ready Wo46 asked me if I needed sunscreen. 

I no I'm good the helmet has more spf than anything that you can rub on your skin. 

Screenshot_20180710-063431.thumb.png.6da8a959839d49307c4378a1d335f736.png

I cannot believe all the motorcycles did not freak the doggie the eff out.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I cannot believe all the motorcycles did not freak the doggie the eff out.

Over 500 motorcycles on the starting line for that race. The dog will lay in the sun 10ft. From the race track. 

Screenshot_20180710-110925.thumb.png.8a6caabfc24f52ffd4834a44a37e7766.png

• Heart 2

On 7/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, JerrySTL said:

For clothing there is a UPF rating. I've ridden with some riders who where a thin, long-sleeved undergarment (often white) under their bike jerseys to protect against sun rays even on hot days.

Is it for sun protection, or a base layer for wicking?

i’ve always wondered about the SPF clothes. A T-shirt seems to provide me with tha same protection.

35 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Is it for sun protection, or a base layer for wicking?

i’ve always wondered about the SPF clothes. A T-shirt seems to provide me with tha same protection.

They claim sun protection.

One thing to consider is that the rays which cause sunburn aren't the same as those that cause skin cancer although they usually come from the same source. That's why you want a sunscreen labeled 'broad spectrum' so that it helps prevent the sunburn and skin cancer.

• Heart 1