New experience for me in Miles City

sheep_herder

With all of the rain we've received and the recent hot temperatures in the mid to high 90s, my glasses fogged up when I exited a store this afternoon.  Not something that normally happens this time of the year in eastern Montana.  Humidity is usually much lower. The mosquitoes are also fierce.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

The best thing about bicycles around here is that, unlike walking, one is usually faster than the mosquitoes.   The same is true for Deer Flies who seem to have a v-max of about 10 mph.

I've gone for walks the last couple of days and my hands have been flopping around like a cow's tail.

• Heart 2

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

The best thing about bicycles around here is that, unlike walking, one is usually faster than the mosquitoes

I have photos of me on some climbs where if you zoom the picture, you can see the bugs (not mosquitoes) circling my sweaty head.  Definitely need those double digit speeds, otherwise you are a nice sweaty target for gnats and other annoying bugs.

On the flip side, I often hit a swarm of gnats at 20+ and get a face full of bugs. YUCK!  They stick to sweat as well - even worse to sunscreen. And getting hit by a cicada at speed can hurt - especially in the cheek. I don't understand how some folks can ride without glasses/sunglasses if simply for the eye protection vs. bugs.  

Tom

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I have photos of me on some climbs where if you zoom the picture, you can see the bugs (not mosquitoes) circling my sweaty head.  Definitely need those double digit speeds, otherwise you are a nice sweaty target for gnats and other annoying bugs.

On the flip side, I often hit a swarm of gnats at 20+ and get a face full of bugs. YUCK!  They stick to sweat as well - even worse to sunscreen. And getting hit by a cicada at speed can hurt - especially in the cheek. I don't understand how some folks can ride without glasses/sunglasses if simply for the eye protection vs. bugs.  

Tom

When we went to the state park recently the horse flies were after me like white on rice.  They ruined what could have been a nice hike.  I was bleeding like @Wilbur after an acupuncture appointment by the time we got back to the truck.

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

When we went to the state park recently the horse flies were after me like white on rice.  They ruined what could have been a nice hike.  I was bleeding like @Wilbur after an acupuncture appointment by the time we got back to the truck.

Don't you have bug spray?

The bugs are bad at the Days River Trail too. It's got a lot of swamp and of course the river.  Many mosquitoes and deer flies. The deer flies like to bite me on top of my hand while I'm making a chattery descent and holding on for my life. Thanks guys.  :angry:

11 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

With all of the rain we've received and the recent hot temperatures in the mid to high 90s, my glasses fogged up when I exited a store this afternoon.  Not something that normally happens this time of the year in eastern Montana.  Humidity is usually much lower. The mosquitoes are also fierce.

Nothing to do with humidity, but I've found that some of my hot flashes are so bad they make my glasses fog.  :( 

Just now, sheep_herder said:

Mosquitoes are not new, as we live in an irrigated valley.  Higher than normal humidity this time of the year is rather unusual.  It is still better than the years I lived in south Texas.

Nothing sucks quite like flying into south Texas in summer from someplace cool.    The heat and humidity slaps you in the face as soon as you step off the plane.  It is like a wall of suck that has been dipped in sweat.

• Heart 2

I got this beat, sheep.  Whenever I'm out working in the yard during the summer, I sweat profusely and that yuk falls down my forehead and drips onto my glasses.  By about 15 minutes, I have a pasty film of perspiration obscuring my vision.  I have to have a towel nearby at all times.  I'd post a youtube vid on it -- but I can't see it to do it.

33 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I got this beat, sheep.  Whenever I'm out working in the yard during the summer, I sweat profusely and that yuk falls down my forehead and drips onto my glasses.  By about 15 minutes, I have a pasty film of perspiration obscuring my vision.  I have to have a towel nearby at all times.  I'd post a youtube vid on it -- but I can't see it to do it.

What's to beat?? I'd be in the same situation, but I learned to wear sweat bands to keep the sweat off of my glasses and out of my eyes.  I sometimes have to wring it out several times when doing chores.  I like the thicker terry cloth type of bands.  The goats would just love it if I were to pack a towel around with me.  They would be chewing on it and pulling it out of my pocket.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, parodybot said:

What a great country, where a lowly bot like me can be accepted and given awards in a place like this!!!

Back off there silicon brain.  Anyone can have a post nominated.  Heck, @jsharr usually gets a couple a day.  Being nominated and actually winning are way far apart.  

You ain't got a snowballs chance......

• Whatever 1

4 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Mosquitoes are not new, as we live in an irrigated valley.  Higher than normal humidity this time of the year is rather unusual.  It is still better than the years I lived in south Texas.

A couple of times a year we'll get high (for us) humidity as tropical moisture gets pulled up from Mexico.  Were having an episode now.

Our summer heat did hit us a little earlier this year as "June gloom" often lasts well into July.