WOLJ is going to attempt to work from home

Longjohn

They really want her to work from home and she really wants to work from home. They are going to let her try it and see if satellite internet can keep up. If not I just wasted a day setting up her home office. She is going to be happy when she sees what I did today. I think she gets her new laptop and monitors on Thursday.  Everyone else that does what she does either has decent broadband or has a close relative that they set up a home office in and they are already working from home.  She says it's weird being to only one in this big room, the cubicles and desks are still there but she has the only computer. They removed all the stuff from the cafeteria it is just a big empty room now.  If her internet can't keep up she will have to move over into OPM's space and work from there.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

They really want her to work from home and she really wants to work from home. They are going to let her try it and see if satellite internet can keep up. If not I just wasted a day setting up her home office. She is going to be happy when she sees what I did today. I think she gets her new laptop and monitors on Thursday.  Everyone else that does what she does either has decent broadband or has a close relative that they set up a home office in and they are already working from home.  She says it's weird being to only one in this big room, the cubicles and desks are still there but she has the only computer. They removed all the stuff from the cafeteria it is just a big empty room now.  If her internet can't keep up she will have to move over into OPM's space and work from there.

What does she use that is bandwidth intensive? Some sort of teleconferencing stuff? Things like Gotomeeting or Skype? Does she access large volumes of data that require lots of refreshes?

Also, depending on your cell phone coverage, a mobile hotspot might work too. I'd say even if I had to pay it out of my own pocket, I would opt for that to be able to work from home.  It easily would cancel out cost and time of commuting.

Tom

5 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

What does she use that is bandwidth intensive? Some sort of teleconferencing stuff? Things like Gotomeeting or Skype? Does she access large volumes of data that require lots of refreshes?

Also, depending on your cell phone coverage, a mobile hotspot might work too. I'd say even if I had to pay it out of my own pocket, I would opt for that to be able to work from home.  It easily would cancel out cost and time of commuting.

Tom

Our mobile hot spot coverage is iffy. We had Verizon out here ready to install and they installer questioned if it would work. He said we had 4G signal but it was weak. We told him not to bother. I have the best package HugesNet had to offer on their latest satellite Gen 5. I'm not sure what all my wife does that needs so much bandwidth, she works for the Government and can't really talk a lot about it. I know DC can watch every move she makes on her computer. I'll probably give updates as things progress. She will be testing this on Friday this week and then she goes on vacation for two weeks.

1 minute ago, Longjohn said:

Our mobile hot spot coverage is iffy. We had Verizon out here ready to install and they installer questioned if it would work. He said we had 4G signal but it was weak. We told him not to bother. I have the best package HugesNet had to offer on their latest satellite Gen 5. I'm not sure what all my wife does that needs so much bandwidth, she works for the Government and can't really talk a lot about it. I know DC can watch every move she makes on her computer. I'll probably give updates as things progress. She will be testing this on Friday this week and then she goes on vacation for two weeks.

So she is probably VPN-ing and then working inside the gov't network.  I doubt it is crazy bandwidth needy, mainly because once you get inside VPNs (especially a gov't one), it is WAY slower than a normal connection.  But good luck to her, because working from home is a HUGE quality of life improvement for most folks.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

So she is probably VPN-ing and then working inside the gov't network.  I doubt it is crazy bandwidth needy, mainly because once you get inside VPNs (especially a gov't one), it is WAY slower than a normal connection.  But good luck to her, because working from home is a HUGE quality of life improvement for most folks.

Tom

She commutes an hour each way to a government facility deep inside a mountain. The roads getting there are horrible and she hates the commute. Even going through security every day is a pita as is parking and walking back into where she works. The VPN thing is what is questionable on satellite. HughesNet says some people have been able to make it work but most can't. They want updates from her if she gets it to work.

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

She commutes an hour each way to a government facility deep inside a mountain.

She must work for Stargate Command!

I work for the military and fortunately have a good internet connection at home. The VPN is only slightly slower than when I'm at the office.

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, Longjohn said:

She commutes an hour each way to a government facility deep inside a mountain. The roads getting there are horrible and she hates the commute. Even going through security every day is a pita as is parking and walking back into where she works. The VPN thing is what is questionable on satellite. HughesNet says some people have been able to make it work but most can't. They want updates from her if she gets it to work.

I saw a program about a big city inside a mountain somewhere in Pennsylvania. Something like a 5 story building or something. I think it was/is to be where the Gov officials evacuate to. Only they can't bring their kids or spouses. Because if everyone did the total amount of people would be juuuggggeee

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I saw a program about a big city inside a mountain somewhere in Pennsylvania. Something like a 5 story building or something. I think it was/is to be where the Gov officials evacuate to. Only they can't bring their kids or spouses. Because if everyone did the total amount of people would be juuuggggeee

My wife said they do have places in there for government officials in case of a nuclear attack.  I asked her why she wanted to work from home? It’s safer there. She doesn’t like breathing recycled air.

• Heart 2

I was home officed for 7 years, gained 25 lbs working at home....  I can work from home if I want but my commute is reasonable (20 minutes) so would rather work from the office.

Many folks who have worked in an office for years want to be home based.  And then they do it for a while and wish they were back in an office...

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

I was home officed for 7 years, gained 25 lbs working at home....  I can work from home if I want but my commute is reasonable (20 minutes) so would rather work from the office.

Many folks who have worked in an office for years want to be home based.  And then they do it for a while and wish they were back in an office...

Yeah. I like having an office. But, I'm mobile so about 2 or 3 hours in the office is about my limit before I have to get to drinking go out & look at job sites  ?

I wonder why Lil Scrapr has ADD

• Haha 1