Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisL

Skipping The Fair This Year

Recommended Posts

The OC Fair opens this weekend and for the first time in over a decade we'll probably skip it.  My kids both worked the fair and were given numerous free tickets. Both opted out this summer tho...

My wife and I enjoyed walking the exhibits and getting dinner but we aint paying $15 each to get in the gate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ChrisL said:

Thanks!  

 

Yeah and to park and to go on any rides. 2 people can easily spend $100 just getting in and going on a few rides.

County fairs here, for that kind of money I would have eaten until I was ready to burst, then puked on a ride if I did one and still went home with money in my pocket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

,,,I have started boycotting the California state fair . They got rid of the tractor pull, the demolition derby, and the phenomenally popular RV demolition derby.:(

The only reason we're going for one day this year is that my wife has a painting in the art exhibit, and they gave her two free tickets.  I hate them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Page Turner said:

,,,I have started boycotting the California state fair . They got rid of the tractor pull, the demolition derby, and the phenomenally popular RV demolition derby.:(

The only reason we're going for one day this year is that my wife has a painting in the art exhibit, and they gave her two free tickets.  I hate them.

My wife and I went to the motorcycle races last year. Stupid us: oh look great seats first row by the turn.  I wonder why nobody is sitting here!?!?!?  1st lap of 1st race we were splattered in mud!  I was laughing my ass off, wife was hot as she was wearing a white top.

They still do demolishion derbies & such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

,,,I have started boycotting the California state fair . They got rid of the tractor pull, the demolition derby, and the phenomenally popular RV demolition derby.:(

The only reason we're going for one day this year is that my wife has a painting in the art exhibit, and they gave her two free tickets.  I hate them.

You hate the free tickets and not your wife and painting, right?  Oh wait.  Were you talking about the fairs that you have a very long history of posting treasured photos in this and the other biking website that shall not be named?  WTF, Paige.  This last sentence is confusing as hell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

,,,I have started boycotting the California state fair . They got rid of the tractor pull, the demolition derby, and the phenomenally popular RV demolition derby.:(

The only reason we're going for one day this year is that my wife has a painting in the art exhibit, and they gave her two free tickets.  I hate them.

What did those two tickets do to make you hate them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dottles said:

You hate the free tickets and not your wife and painting, right?  Oh wait.  Were you talking about the fairs that you have a very long history of posting treasured photos in this and the other biking website that shall not be named?  WTF, Paige.  This last sentence is confusing as hell.

It should concern us both that we think in a similar fashion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

It should concern us both that we think in a similar fashion.

No, I think the writing is was that bad as I read it the same way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

...it was perfectly clear to me.  As ever, this is the important thing. Very surprised I need to point this out, but there it is. 

If I wanted to write for an audience, I'd be writing somewhere there was one.:)

 

For those among you who require an explanation: yes, I hate the free tickets, because now I need to go to the fair.  I can't not go to the fair, because of my wife's painting, which is good, but which I also hate because it is the source of the free tickets, which are why I have to go to the fair.  And I hate the people who run the fair, because of the previously mentioned reasons.  Now I hate you three as well. I hope you are all happy.  It will probably be very hot the day we go, as well, and I will be reminded of the absence of the tractor pull, the demolition derby, and the RV demolition derby. :(

 

I was much better off just boycotting the whole god damned thing.:angry:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You do realize that those fees help maintain the facilities at the fair grounds.  This may be meaningless for you folks living in large metropolitan areas, but there are real costs involved with maintenance, etc. Hell, I pay the fee even though I am taking the children's photos with their sale animals. Our biggest challenge this year is replacing one of the buildings essentially destroyed by snow this winter.  Luckily, the board and commissioners are looking toward the future and planning a building that can be used effectively by other events, even adding a kitchen, and thus allow some recoup of funds expended. 

I chuckle when I read complaints for such fees.  It reminds me of people in the field of range management that balk at joining the parent Society.  My ex-boss would give them hell, and suggest that membership costs about as much as 2 evenings out on the town.  Hell folks, it is just money.:whistle:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

You do realize that those fees help maintain the facilities at the fair grounds.  This may be meaningless for you folks living in large metropolitan areas, but there are real costs involved with maintenance, etc. Hell, I pay the fee even though I am taking the children's photos with their sale animals. Our biggest challenge this year is replacing one of the buildings essentially destroyed by snow this winter.  Luckily, the board and commissioners are looking toward the future and planning a building that can be used effectively by other events, even adding a kitchen, and thus allow some recoup of funds expended. 

I chuckle when I read complaints for such fees.  It reminds me of people in the field of range management that balk at joining the parent Society.  My ex-boss would give them hell, and suggest that membership costs about as much as 2 evenings out on the town.  Hell folks, it is just money.:whistle:

...I bet you guys still have a demolition derby. I think I'll just switch to going to the Folsom rodeo every year.  At least I can count on them as consistent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Page Turner said:

...I bet you guys still have a demolition derby.

And a tractor pull and rodeo and you have to pay to attend each of these events in addition to the entry fee. I heard more people howl about the change of dates to accommodate the carnival than any fees that were being charged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

And a tractor pull and rodeo and you have to pay to attend each of these events in addition to the entry fee. I heard more people howl about the change of dates to accommodate the carnival than any fees that were being charged.

...the tractor pull here was free with admission, and was a n all day event. That's how many classes had to run. :)

The other things like the rodeo and the demolition derby always have had separate admission fees.  But this is the state fair grounds, so the state picks up most of the maintenance tab. Because it's in a major city, there's also a stadium that hosts a pro soccer team, occasional pro rugby matches, the whole CalExpo horse racing thing (complete with off track betting when the horses are not running locally), and large rock concerts in that same stadium.

Also, the water theme amusement park on the grounds runs all summer.  Not sure how much money that makes, but it gets plenty of people on the upper 90's days here.

 

I was always fine with the admissions fees.  I'm just bummed that they no longer have a lot of the real fair events.  It's all fried food on a stick and the midway now. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have always preferred the smaller venues. Went to the Texas State Fair once when we were on a trip buying goats and was glad to get away and drive to west Texas. We use to enjoy going to the larger fair in Douglas, WY.  They had a nice sheep show and sale, and when we were raising Columbias, we bought most of our sheep from breeders in Wyoming.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our fairs are more and more a commercial arcade and rows of hot tub resellers.  It's annoying to may that much to get in and then find that everyone inside want's as much of my money as they can take or steal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

You do realize that those fees help maintain the facilities at the fair grounds.  This may be meaningless for you folks living in large metropolitan areas, but there are real costs involved with maintenance, etc. Hell, I pay the fee even though I am taking the children's photos with their sale animals. Our biggest challenge this year is replacing one of the buildings essentially destroyed by snow this winter.  Luckily, the board and commissioners are looking toward the future and planning a building that can be used effectively by other events, even adding a kitchen, and thus allow some recoup of funds expended. 

I chuckle when I read complaints for such fees.  It reminds me of people in the field of range management that balk at joining the parent Society.  My ex-boss would give them hell, and suggest that membership costs about as much as 2 evenings out on the town.  Hell folks, it is just money.:whistle:

Yeah the fair does support the community and I'm good with that.  We always parked at the local HS who charged a fee as it went towards their ASB.  We buy food and support many of the local organizations who participate.  

But I'm keeping my money this year.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Our fairs are more and more a commercial arcade and rows of hot tub resellers.  It's annoying to may that much to get in and then find that everyone inside want's as much of my money as they can take or steal.

There is a lot of this too...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Our fairs are more and more a commercial arcade and rows of hot tub resellers.  It's annoying to may that much to get in and then find that everyone inside want's as much of my money as they can take or steal.

Somebody needs to talk to the fair board to suggest reducing these types of vendors and getting some more appropriate ones.  Some of this was happening locally a few years ago, until they let a local lady that brought a trailer with women's clothes to the events, take over the vendors.  She started inviting folks from other locals that she knew would fit well in Miles City, and things improved.  Just like turning off the tv, you do not have to go into the areas with the vendors.  I may go into the building and go to the booths of different artists and that is all. You are in control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×