For Smudge (or, how I met a childhood hero)

LoneWolf

1 hour ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Man, this makes me feel old.  :(    I remember him in the early 80s, he had great hair.     :nodhead:

Sparky was the manager.  

Yep.  I have a Lance Parrish "autographed" souvenir bat from 82, the original Tigers Stadium.  I would have been nine years old.  Half-size Louisville Slugger in dark walnut (or maybe ash), made the same way the big ones were, before souvenirs got cheap.

It's in the attic; I need to find it, because Lance now manages the minor league team here. I want to get a real autograph under the fake one.

• Heart 3

Dave Rosema - A guy the was able to resurrect both his life and his career.

Glad you got to meet him.  And Lance is one of the good guys.  I hope Lance makes it in managing.  He has been banging around in the minors for a lot of years.

5 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Dave Rosema - A guy the was able to resurrect both his life and his career.

Glad you got to meet him.  And Lance is one of the good guys.  I hope Lance makes it in managing.  He has been banging around in the minors for a lot of years.

I'm not sure why, but Lance was managing Double-A (Erie Seawolves) and they brought him here to manage Single-A).

It may be they thought he'd bet a better choice for budding players.  The Whitecaps' previous manager was promoted after several very decent seasons.

Oh, and one more interesting Rozema fact:

On December 22, 1985, Rozema and his former teammate Kirk Gibson married sisters, JoAnn and Sandy Sklarski in a double ceremony at Grosse Pointe Memorial Church in Grosse Pointe Farms, Michigan.