Bribes

Further

A guy I used to work with had left a pretty lucrative job as a mine inspector to run a bulldozer on a slag dump. I was in my 20's he was maybe 40. 

I asked why he quit the inspector job.

He told me that he could turn down bribes, but bullets were hard to ignore.

While he was unlocking his front door, a drive by shooting took out his front window...

A man of strong convictions, yet sensible with a sense of self preservation, he made an impression on me. 

• Heart 3

lots of stories in construction w/bribes & kickbacks

About 15 years ago a bunch of a local building dept was hand slapped for taking trips on permit holders. Pretty well known that they sometimes get construction done at their homes as well. Garages, patios, remodels

I've never paid or received any. About 6 months ago i think I may have lost an account because the other guy was kicking back $$ to the super. I was never asked to participate. 

Only a few instances (that I know of) of gun play. One such was a known bad actor builder. He did not deign to get his fine corithian leather shoes dirty on a job site. So he did his dirty work from an office. Well excavators are known for being a bit rough around the edges. After getting stiffed one excavator corners builder in a remote area. And demands payment. At the point of a weapon. He got paid

My boss in SA told me about the wild times in the '70s with the mine bosses. A new car in the driveway every year; one guy gave out the "suggested" gift with the invitation to his daughter's wedding; side businesses owned by spouses to launder cash; etc.

My MIL, told stories of the Rochester city inspectors, PAs getting new pools, additions, garages, etc. from the utility contractors.