Progressive lens glasses

shootingstar

I tried progressives 2 yrs. ago. after 1 wk. I gave up because of eye-pain and I didn't even wear them that long.

My prescription has changed slightly now. I've been asked again to try progressives.  I dread the thought of this..

Yes, I do deal with 2 sets of glasses --for computer and another set for reading a book, handwork.

What's your experience with progressive lenses?

I've had them for years.  There are a number of problems related to a compromise not really being excellent at all things.  

1.  You must learn to tilt your head up and down to get the proper portion of the lens centered on the distance of whatever you are using.

2.  Large progressives work better than small ones because that enlarges the vertical portion for each range meaning you don't have to be as perfect at tilting your head

3.  Unless your prescription is very weak they are useless for eyeglass and helmet mounted mirrors when biking as those will be up in the corner where the distortion is at it's worst and the prescription at it's most ineffective.

4.  If you work on a computer beware that the higher the monitor the more you will have to tilt your head back.

5.  I wear them because for years I had to have safety glasses on and it was a deal of one pair does all...........even if less effectively.

I'm going back to bifocals next pair because I would need reading glasses to see the dash of my car while needing distance glasses to see the road.  That has a bit to do with having had cataract surgery with fixed focus lenses.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Very good.  I need glasses for reading.  In modern society, you may be reading a book at arm's length, a computer monitor twice the distance with another monitor with some windows open for reference (and to make it look like your working while dicking around on SW Forum).  Standard readers and bifocals can't adjust to the different distances the reading material might be from your face but progressives can.

I had a pair of readers with the narrower lenses common for reading glasses.  They were good for reading a book or the paper but couldn't cut it for looking at the computer.   I converted the lenses to progressive and they work better but since they still narrower lenses, it is hard to get the right head tilt to sharpen the text.

30 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

Very good.  I need glasses for reading.  In modern society, you may be reading a book at arm's length, a computer monitor twice the distance with another monitor with some windows open for reference (and to make it look like your working while dicking around on SW Forum).  Standard readers and bifocals can't adjust to the different distances the reading material might be from your face but progressives can.

I had a pair of readers with the narrower lenses common for reading glasses.  They were good for reading a book or the paper but couldn't cut it for looking at the computer.   I converted the lenses to progressive and they work better but since they still narrower lenses, it is hard to get the right head tilt to sharpen the text.

Reading this gave me a headache.  I do well reading or looking at the monitor with my computer glasses.  Constantly tilting my head to get the right focus and have it 'not so good' sounds like a real pain in the ass, that I am not willing to endure.  Good Luck with your life.:whistle:

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I currently have progressive lenses. Got them in October and they were my first set of Rx glasses. Thus far I really like them. I needed specs for reading. I rarely if ever drive w/ them on.

41 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Reading this gave me a headache.  I do well reading or looking at the monitor with my computer glasses.  Constantly tilting my head to get the right focus and have it 'not so good' sounds like a real pain in the ass, that I am not willing to endure.  Good Luck with your life.:whistle:

Soory.

The first sentence said I like progressive lenses.

The rest of the paragraph explained that I liked them because one pair of glasses allow me to read items at different distances.

Paragraph 2 suggested to get progressive lenses that are wider because it is harder to get the narrower ones to focus properly by tilting your head.

28 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

Had them for ten years, no issues. I keep the monitors low at work so I'm not looking up at the ceiling to read he screen. I've adapted. It isn't perfect but it is better than being blind.

I've always kept my monitors low, but I also have my bifocal lenses set in the lower 1/3 of my photo grey lenses and only use them for reading.  Thus, I have a pair of computer glasses, which at one time had a rose tint to the lens to help prevent burning eyes when using monochrome monitors for long periods of time. Now, I go without a tint. I just don't think I would adapt very well to hunting for the right area in a progressive lens.

For my normal glasses, I use progressive lenses.

However I also have single vision glasses for computer work.

I also have prescription sunglasses which are bifocals. When driving or riding my bike, I'm either looking at the dashboard/bike computer or down the road so bifocals work well for that. I found that I was bobbing my head up and down too much when using progressives especially on the bike.

I am nearsighted.

On a serious note, I wear progressive lenses and I love them.  Took a while to get used to them and I had to fight through the headaches and stuff at first too, but now I could not live with out them.  Just learn how position your head so that you are looking at the right part of the lens for the task at hand it is all good.

Never have to switch glasses.  I have one pair that has progressive / transition lenses so they become sun glasses out of doors and I never have to switch even then.

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

On a serious note, I wear progressive lenses and I love them.  Took a while to get used to them and I had to fight through the headaches and stuff at first too, but now I could not live with out them.  Just learn how position your head so that you are looking at the right part of the lens for the task at hand it is all good.

Never have to switch glasses.  I have one pair that has progressive / transition lenses so they become sun glasses out of doors and I never have to switch even then.

Somebody hacked Jsharr's account, no sarcasm or snark present.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm a bit surprised that so many on this forum would opt for progressive rather than the more conservative old school bifocals.

I hated the old school lined bifocals, and love the Progressives. :)  I sometimes take them off when reading or computering since it is aboot a wash how I can see close up with or without them.  But no issues at all.  Probably did take a little time to get used to them at first.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I'm a bit surprised that so many on this forum would opt for progressive rather than the more conservative old school bifocals.

Me too, I expected more from my progressives. It seemed like all they did was blend the line for the bifocals in so you didn't notice it but the blended area was a mess, I either had to look over it or under it.

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Maybe some of the progressive wearers do not have as great a problem as some of the rest of us.  I started wearing glasses because my eyes were crossing in the early 50s and regular bifocals in the late 70s when I could no longer read vernier scales on transits.

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Maybe some of the progressive wearers do not have as great a problem as some of the rest of us.  I started wearing glasses because my eyes were crossing in the early 50s and regular bifocals in the late 70s when I could no longer read vernier scales on transits.

8 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Me too, I expected more from my progressives. It seemed like all they did was blend the line for the bifocals in so you didn't notice it but the blended area was a mess, I either had to look over it or under it.

It seems that my attempt at humor has fallen on blind eyes.  I guess I spend too much time in P&R.

10 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

It seems that my attempt at humor has fallen on blind eyes.  I guess I spend too much time in P&R.

I think I am running aboot 75% on getting your references, which is good for me!  That one did whoosh over me though, sad to say. :(

I am down near only 10% on @TrentonMakes movie line references.  He is not named Brain for nothing!  :D

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

I've had progressive for years. They took a while to get useto them. 

The first motocross race that I did with them was freaky. I went over a jump and the landing disappeared.

The learning curve was pretty steep climbing around in the rafters too

• Heart 1

I’ve worn progressives for over a decade with no problem, and heavy computer use. In fact, it was my coworkers at a call center ho told me I needed to get glasses due to issues reading a computer. Historically, excellent distant vision but has deteriorated. Sitting here without glasses, can’t read what typing, but can see the trees with limbs and building in the distance but can’t read sign on building or side of delivery vans, and nearby can see the kids toys on the coffee table in front of me. Put glasses on - can see the leaves on the trees, building logo, and the toys are far more defined. I have found that the larger the glass, the better the transition to where you don’t notice it. The wanted me to try contacts - different strength in each eye (near and far) for the brain to blend and could not tolerate.

I have natural mono vision, I see distance out of my right eye and read with my left eye. My up close vision was getting to where it was hard to read vernier calipers at work. My eye doctor set me up with bifocal safety glasses that helped me see close with the bifocal through both eyes and distance through the top with both eyes. It worked well for work but I never bothered wearing glasses for anything else.