The ebb and flow of body weight.

Dottleshead

Just now, petitepedal said:

Great work Dottie..how ya feeling?

I am doing pretty well, thanks!  Modern medicine these days is fantastic.  I caught the problem before any real damage occurred so I feel like I've been given a reset on life.  Obviously I waited too long for something drastic to happen but I see the light now.  It's onward ho for me.  I don't plan on changing anything except incorporate more exercise into my life in another month when I'm green lighted by the cardiologist.

• Heart 2

Good to hear things are progressing well... my own progress has slowed, which is to be expected as you get closer to your goal.  However, I did a decent job last week of not letting everything go to crap while I was at a client working long hours, with donuts, pizza, etc. available in mass quantities.

Despite the weight not changing much, I feel like the body transformation continues, as my waist/stomach seems to shrink and muscles grow, thanks to my pull ups, push ups, and sit ups.

• Heart 1

Good work indeed!  I've hit a bit of a wall and keep going up and down 2-3 pounds.  I either need to stick religiously to my diet and drop a few or add some more exercise.  I too am at that resistance stage so if I don't gain and keep at it.... it will come off over time.  I gotta show that belly who is boss!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

My thoughts on the matter are that you can exercise hard discipline and see some results but sooner or later you and your body is going to want to swing back to equilibrium and it's natural to ease up.  but the total trick is don't 'ease up' and revert backwards.  Plateau for awhile and then get disciplined.  In other words, what works for me, is ease off the trottle and maybe coast for a bit... but step on the trottle again before you start slowing down and lose to much momentum.

Hmm - my body weight recently flowed, sort of like a hurricane in fact!  Too many forced instances of dining oot.  Definitely a sawtooth pattern!  What goes up in a few days takes a few multiples of that time to come back off.

I definitely need better coping skills with dining oot.  Salads with dressing on the side for one thing, but many times they are no better or even worse than other choices. 

• Heart 2

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hmm - my body weight recently flowed, sort of like a hurricane in fact!  Too many forced instances of dining oot.  Definitely a sawtooth pattern!  What goes up in a few days takes a few multiples of that time to come back off.

Yeah that socialized food thing is a killer.  I had to sacrifice socializing and enjoyment by giving that up, but I had to do it.

• Awesome 1

35 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I just had a huge bowl of oatmeal.  Wife made way to much.  I'm going to try and let that carry me through to dinner.

I have a couple of oatmeal tricks.  I used Bob's Gluten Free Organic quick cooking.  I use 1/2 cup, add lots of boiling water then microwave for 1 min.  Add chia seeds.  Let sit for several minutes.  It absorbs the water and makes it look like a lot more food then you're actually eating.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I have a couple of oatmeal tricks.  I used Bob's Gluten Free Organic quick cooking.  I use 1/2 cup, add lots of boiling water then microwave for 1 min.  Add chia seeds.  Let sit for several minutes.  It absorbs the water and makes it look like a lot more food then you're actually eating.

Wife bought a Trader Joe's and we use date sugar and walnuts/pecans.  She makes it on the stove.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Try adding no sugar.  I add 1 banana, or blueberries.

Date sugar is a whole food.  It's not processed.  There are all kinds of studies on this.  People eat grapes and apples all day long and they don't gain wait because of the sugars.  Yeah, my wife also added blueberries.  So nuts, blueberries and some date grindings.

I like the old fashion oats but I’m using up this big container of Steel Cut oats before I buy more. I usually put apple slices or banana slices, enough chia seed that the oatmeal looks black, a bunch of cinnamon, some plain Greek yogurt and a squirt of raw local honey. Walnuts are good too but their price is crazy right now.

• Awesome 1

4 hours ago, Dottles said:

Yeah that socialized food thing is a killer.  I had to sacrifice socializing and enjoyment by giving that up, but I had to do it.

If it makes you feel any better, then please note that I continue to eat out at any opportunity and I particularly enjoy those foods which you are presently avoiding. I make myself do this even when I'm not hungry at all, as I feel it's the least I can do.

See it as my little tribute to your sheer gumption and strength of character......no...please don't thank me.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

If it makes you feel any better, then please note that I continue to eat out at any opportunity and I particularly enjoy those foods which you are presently avoiding. I make myself do this even when I'm not hungry at all, as I feel it's the least I can do.

See it as my little tribute to your sheer gumption and strength of character......no...please don't thank me.

Well there has been a lot of discussion that heart plaque is not caused by the foods we eat at all.  One cardiologist said 10-20%, another said up to 30% and my internal medicine doctor said it didn't have anything to do with it at all.  So I haven't been a saint all week -- but I also noticed I'm not losing weight either.  I hope you're not one of those fat Scottish blokes, George.  I don't think I could handle it.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

I expect to lose quite a bit of weight over the next 24 hours.  I start colonoscopy prep at noon tomorrow.  ?

Once I'm no longer full of shit I should be lighter.

On the other hand, I may gain weight after Wednesday lunch.

Good luck with that!  Great timing too -- I'm just about to go out for an early dinner.  I'll try to keep you in mind.  ☺️

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I hope you're not one of those fat Scottish blokes, George.  I don't think I could handle it.

Be reassured my tubby friend.....I'm still a fine figure of a man.....admired...nay worshipped by many.

It's just that nothing now works as it should, and while any normal person would be crestfallen by this, I find that I have enough internal fortitude to rise above it.....it's a blessing really.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

I expect to lose quite a bit of weight over the next 24 hours.  I start colonoscopy prep at noon tomorrow.  ?

Once I'm no longer full of shit I should be lighter.

On the other hand, I may gain weight after Wednesday lunch.

Ouch.....that's a bit of a bugger.

The best thing about mine was the tea and toast after the event........the thing itself was rather a pain in the arse.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Ouch.....that's a bit of a bugger.

The best thing about mine was the tea and toast after the event........the thing itself was rather a pain in the arse.

They used to do muffins when you woke up.  These days you get a half sized can of ginger ale.  At least I'm on a 5 year schedule.  Womaxx is on a 2 year schedule with cat scans and MRIs in alternate years.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

They used to do muffins when you woke up.  These days you get a half sized can of ginger ale.  At least I'm on a 5 year schedule.  Womaxx is on a 2 year schedule with cat scans and MRIs in alternate years.

Right......OK....I went for the cheaper deal....the one time, in and out sale event.... with no guarantee that they cleaned their equipment in-between times.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Right......OK....I went for the cheaper deal....the one time, in and out sale event.... with no guarantee that they cleaned their equipment in-between times.

My doctor didn't have an available time slot this week for the hospital Womaxx and I spend so much time at so this time I'm gambling on a "colonoscopy center".  I assume that this is like one of those private surgery centers that are springing up like mushrooms to take advantage of the profits without charging as much as the real deal.

Last year I had the hydrocele operation done in one such surgical center and I was not impressed.

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

My doctor didn't have an available time slot this week for the hospital Womaxx and I spend so much time at so this time I'm gambling on a "colonoscopy center".  I assume that this is like one of those private surgery centers that are springing up like mushrooms to take advantage of the profits without charging as much as the real deal.

Last year I had the hydrocele operation done in one such surgical center and I was not impressed.

I have to say that I do share your concern Max......and it would be of infinite concern to me if you emerged with not one....but two arseholes......just saying.

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Propofol, marketed as Diprivan among other names, is a short-acting medication that results in a decreased level of consciousness and lack of memory for events

It almost seems like a waste of time for me.

Well, now it's sounding like another day at the mill.

I remember some happy thoughts...

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Working the weight back down nice and steadily.  Feels wonderful so far - can't wait to break the overweight barrier someday hopefully soon.

I have been a bit bummed at the rate of decline but it is coming off slowly but surely now.  I have to remind myself where I was at almost 3 months ago.  But it does seem like the last 3 weeks or so have been hovering around the same 3 pound range.

• Heart 1

Well I think I've hit my first major plateau as I seem to have settled into a groove.  I had a low of X about 2-3 weeks ago and I've been 'ebbing and flowing' between X and X+4 pounds since I hit the X low watermark.  I'm doing what I can to hold the line to as my body still seems to think it needs and substantial amount of food that it does not.  I'm trying not to be discouraged but I am a bit.  Since my last reporting, I spend more time around X+2.   I have slipped somewhat off the vegan thing and allowed myself shit things like pancakes on the weekend and some spicy teriyaki, but generally I'm holding the line.  It's been a bit of a challenge though.  Psychological I'm letting up and have allowed some indifference about my situation to creep in. It's been a bit challenging when I hear one cardiologist say saturated fat is responsible for up to 30% of your LDL, another say up to 20% is your LDL, and yet another say 0% makes any substantial difference. The vegan thing was working for me, I'v slipped some, and I'm not losing weight.  I still have yet to insert any substantial exercise into my program.  

I know I have to make a push again but now with the colder weather coming in, the wood fires starting, and being literally held up on my job, I'm coasting.  I'm guilty.  I'm coasting.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Don't judge, you're human.

A simple but huge help, do not drink calories, evah.  I drink a few  hundred calories a week, excluding sports drinks used for exercise.

Good tip.  I drink these Premiere Protein shakes I get from Costco but other than that -- it's water and/or coffee.  

• 4 weeks later...

How's it going, Dottles? Haven't seen an update in a while...

I think I've been holding pretty steady, at least I was the last time I weighed in.  I'd rather still be losing another 10lbs or so.  But I've been traveling for work a lot and not managing to hit the scale.  I feel like I've been doing about the best I can considering the circumstances, but that could be wishful thinking.  I'll try to get on the scale this Sunday and give an update.

This week I'm at a client that is open 24/7 pretty much, and have been working 6pm - 6am, sometimes longer.  Still, I've managed to get a couple of runs in on the treadmill, and do some calisthenics.  And, I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time for snacking or anything.  I've tried to make reasonable choices for what I do eat, but of course options are limited.

Yes, I'm posting at 1am because I'm in the middle of my shift. :( But the fact I'm having time to post shows we are making progress.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

How's it going, Dottles? Haven't seen an update in a while...

I think I've been holding pretty steady, at least I was the last time I weighed in.  I'd rather still be losing another 10lbs or so.  But I've been traveling for work a lot and not managing to hit the scale.  I feel like I've been doing about the best I can considering the circumstances, but that could be wishful thinking.  I'll try to get on the scale this Sunday and give an update.

This week I'm at a client that is open 24/7 pretty much, and have been working 6pm - 6am, sometimes longer.  Still, I've managed to get a couple of runs in on the treadmill, and do some calisthenics.  And, I've been so busy at work that I haven't had time for snacking or anything.  I've tried to make reasonable choices for what I do eat, but of course options are limited.

Yes, I'm posting at 1am because I'm in the middle of my shift. :( But the fact I'm having time to post shows we are making progress.

Great to see you Maynard. I am still holding at X+3 where X is my lowest weight or about 25 pounds than summer. I need to get off my butt and exercise more. I'm really glad you are doing well. I have to make that downward trek again. Keep up the good work! You too @petitepedal and @RalphWaldoMooseworth

• Awesome 1

I,ve gained back three of the twenty pounds I lost at the beginning of summer but it’ snot Easy. Tonight I’m making roast beast, smashed potatoes and gravy with mushrooms, steamed carrots, and an apple crisp for desert. The protein powder I use after my workouts is pure organic whey with no additives flavorings or preservatives.

• Heart 1