The ebb and flow of body weight.

Dottleshead

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I have not updated yet... Work travel and schedule have really gotten me out of my routines, so I haven't weighed in in quite some time.  Still, I have been doing a decent job of getting my exercise in and controlling my eating, so I don't expect any huge surprises.  Clothes still fitting about the same as they have for the last month or so, so I am hopeful I've at least held steady on the scale.

• Awesome 1

I’m holding steady at 183. When I had my annual physical and saw I had lost 20 pounds in two months I started eating everything in sight. I gained three of those pounds back but it stopped there. At least I am not losing anymore. Maybe I should eat margerine and drink diet soda? I heard that causes weight gain.

• Heart 1

Well, I'm finally back down to 25 pounds less than my high water mark in July.  This is my X value.  I'm been hanging out at X+3 and X+2 a lot but this back injury has made it difficult to get up and go to the fridge when bored.  But it also has prevented me from getting in any serious exercise.  I really hope to get my exercise program in before the new year.  Just getting the routine down before it hits will be a 'win'. 

5 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Sorry I have not updated yet... Work travel and schedule have really gotten me out of my routines, so I haven't weighed in in quite some time.  Still, I have been doing a decent job of getting my exercise in and controlling my eating, so I don't expect any huge surprises.  Clothes still fitting about the same as they have for the last month or so, so I am hopeful I've at least held steady on the scale.

Keep up the good work Maynard.  And keep reporting back.  I still have a plan to lose another 25 pounds before July.  If I can do that, I'm a happy guy.

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Well, I'm finally back down to 25 pounds less than my high water mark in July.  This is my X value.  I'm been hanging out at X+3 and X+2 a lot but this back injury has made it difficult to get up and go to the fridge when bored.  But it also has prevented me from getting in any serious exercise.  I really hope to get my exercise program in before the new year.  Just getting the routine down before it hits will be a 'win'. 

How is the free heat thing going with that bad back? When I’m injured I always wish I had a good back up heat source.

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

How is the free heat thing going with that bad back? When I’m injured I always wish I had a good back up heat source.

Truth is we've relied on the pellets only for the last 4 days. My wife's been a champ loading the hopper. We do have a central furnace that we run about once a month just to ensure it works (like an older car) and to burn off all the spiders in the vents.  ?

• Awesome 1

36 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I’m holding steady at 183. When I had my annual physical and saw I had lost 20 pounds in two months I started eating everything in sight. I gained three of those pounds back but it stopped there. At least I am not losing anymore. Maybe I should eat margerine and drink diet soda? I heard that causes weight gain.

And quit messing around and start eating like your a boss.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

And quit messing around and start eating like your a boss.

I’m probably eating five times as much as my wife. Ever since her cancer treatments in Pittsburgh last month she hasn’t been able to finishe a small plate of food. The feral cats are taking a liking to her. Tonight she ate less than half a serving of garlic chicken stir fry, she gave the rest to the cats.

Well I thought tonight was my trainer session(we had to swap me from Thursdays to Tuesdays a bit) Nope..my phone was correct but I have taken to keeping a journal by my bed..and I had listed tonight as my trainer session there :wacko: We did chat a bit before his next session started..He told me to take the night off..and commented that he works me hard..and I pretty much do the same workout on my own..just slower in a couple of spots!

I am doing better with less alcohol and watching my food...it will come..slowly..but it will happen.

• Heart 1

Well after about 6 weeks of ebbing in the X+1, X+2, X+3, X+4 range, this last week and a half, I am now flowing at X-2. It's taken a long time for my body weight to stabilize before it wanted to shed any more. I'm glad because I was getting discouraged there.  It's finally moving in the right direction.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 11/20/2018 at 3:08 PM, Longjohn said:

I’m probably eating five times as much as my wife. Ever since her cancer treatments in Pittsburgh last month she hasn’t been able to finishe a small plate of food. The feral cats are taking a liking to her. Tonight she ate less than half a serving of garlic chicken stir fry, she gave the rest to the cats.

I would imagine trying to gain weight would be challenging if your medical condition was such that keeping your weight was the problem.  For starters, it's hard to break habits.  If one is overeating, then stopping that is not as simple as "just don't eat" or the addict's "just don't use".   

• Heart 1

Well...I did my full trainer work out on Sunday, walked with the 12 pound vest Monday and last night did another full trainer session...tonight was just 35 minutes on the treadmill...cos I know he is gonna kick my azz tomorrow :whistle:

Tonight I got to thinking...I wasn't sore after walking with the vest (I am at a 5% incline and about 3mph)...I was a tad sore in the early hours of the AM when I was getting motivated to get out of bed..but once I had my shower and started moving...it pretty much went away....I am thinking I am back to where I was or even better than when I got the shingles..now if the remaining strange feelings in my neck..and itch would go away!!...I have not been on a scale in a couple of weeks...Maybe I will buy one ......one of these days...or not...

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, petitepedal said:

:dontknow: I have never noticed one....we have one at work I step on now and then...

I have only been a member at two gyms, they both had a good scale in the locker rooms. It's funny to watch the fat guys get out of the shower and go over to the scale and hang up their towel before they step on the scale. Hey a wet towel adds a lot of weight right?stock-photo-big-guy-weighing-himself-in-the-morning-and-shocked-by-what-he-sees-2540038.thumb.jpg.95400390c60f94c6184dd1bca7500ccc.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, petitepedal said:

Well...I did my full trainer work out on Sunday, walked with the 12 pound vest Monday and last night did another full trainer session...tonight was just 35 minutes on the treadmill...cos I know he is gonna kick my azz tomorrow :whistle:

Tonight I got to thinking...I wasn't sore after walking with the vest (I am at a 5% incline and about 3mph)...I was a tad sore in the early hours of the AM when I was getting motivated to get out of bed..but once I had my shower and started moving...it pretty much went away....I am thinking I am back to where I was or even better than when I got the shingles..now if the remaining strange feelings in my neck..and itch would go away!!...I have not been on a scale in a couple of weeks...Maybe I will buy one ......one of these days...or not...

I have found that getting back into shape, while challenging sometimes, is not nearly as hard as getting into it.  For example, I have been seriously riding my bike for some year and a half and I have no doubt my return time will be a fraction of what it was when I first started biking.  Keep it up M.  Your body loves you for it.

32 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Not the same 25 I hope?

Yeah. I gained 25 just these last couple years. It's been stressful. Now I need to get closer to my recommended body weight. All that's a nice way of saying I was a chubby chubster there for a bit. But my heart diagnosis was the wake up call.

14 hours ago, Dottles said:

I have lost exactly 25 pounds in 6 months. My goal is to lose that again in the next 6 months.

That's what I did last year, I was around a buck-75 and made it down to 150. Years of not riding a lot upped my weight so it was nice to get it back down. I rode my ass off literally :) 150 was and is my goal.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I'm down 30 lbs from late May.  It was my high water mark and it was disgusting.  I've done it through diet only and being consistent.  I've limited my diet to around 2100 calories a day.  My wife has been spinning the smoothy blender nightly.  Eliminated most crap but do have a penchant for some fruit snacks -- which have sugar.  But that's it.  I've given up all dairy and almost all cheese and most meat.  Eat fish sometimes and sardines.  Once in a great while I'll eat some chicken.  Had a piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and a small slice of cake at a meeting.  I'm just not a religious fanatic about it all.  

I plan on getting my exercise program kicked back up again soon.  And by that I see myself riding my back 3 times a week. If I was a monster in the gym as Petite is... I'm afraid I'd eat the whole house.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 3

That is a worry Dottie...When I first started..my trainer did say I would be more hungry....and I was :frantics: But not anymore... I was also sore after every workout until more recently.... I am still pretty cooked...but the muscles are not screaming at me so much.

There was a new study about fitness and aging..on one of the news sites this week..and duh...being fit helps people live better at 70....Who woulda thunk :dontknow:

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Dottles said:

Well, I'm down 30 lbs from late May.  It was my high water mark and it was disgusting.  I've done it through diet only and being consistent.  I've limited my diet to around 2100 calories a day.  My wife has been spinning the smoothy blender nightly.  Eliminated most crap but do have a penchant for some fruit snacks -- which have sugar.  But that's it.  I've given up all dairy and almost all cheese and most meat.  Eat fish sometimes and sardines.  Once in a great while I'll eat some chicken.  Had a piece of pumpkin pie at Thanksgiving and a small slice of cake at a meeting.  I'm just not a religious fanatic about it all.  

I plan on getting my exercise program kicked back up again soon.  And by that I see myself riding my back 3 times a week. If I was a monster in the gym as Petite is... I'm afraid I'd eat the whole house.

Excellent!  Nice work indeed. :)

5 hours ago, Dottles said:

Great job!  There have to be many who like the idea of seeing less of you......not me of course....dear me no. Have you completely lost that cuddly look which the ladies found so devastating?

• Haha 2

I am down about 15 lbs from my high of 260.  Mainly through consistent good choices in food and portion sizes and diligent tracking with a phone app called Lose It.  Still have some cheats, but not many and not as bad as what I was doing.  Seeing improvements in blood sugar, BP, weight, mood, sense of well being, etc.  

I walk up the four flights of stairs from the parking garage to the lobby and back down in the evenings.  

Weight is hovering in the mid to low 240s.  Will be wonderful to see it hit the 230s

• Awesome 3

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

I am down about 15 lbs from my high of 260.  Mainly through consistent good choices in food and portion sizes and diligent tracking with a phone app called Lose It.  Still have some cheats, but not many and not as bad as what I was doing.  Seeing improvements in blood sugar, BP, weight, mood, sense of well being, etc.  

I walk up the four flights of stairs from the parking garage to the lobby and back down in the evenings.  

Weight is hovering in the mid to low 240s.  Will be wonderful to see it hit the 230s

Good for you. My weight after quiting smoking and drinking ballooned to about 40+ pounds more than you. I want to lose another 50 but would be satisfied to lose another 30 and hold it for years. So I am half way there.

10 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Good for you. My weight after quiting smoking and drinking ballooned to about 40+ pounds more than you. I want to lose another 50 but would be satisfied to lose another 30 and hold it for years. So I am half way there.

I have pretty much quit drinking.  I think I have had a total of 6 beers in the last two months.

• Heart 1