The ebb and flow of body weight.

Dottleshead

On 11/28/2018 at 7:22 PM, Longjohn said:

I have only been a member at two gyms, they both had a good scale in the locker rooms. It's funny to watch the fat guys get out of the shower and go over to the scale and hang up their towel before they step on the scale. Hey a wet towel adds a lot of weight right?stock-photo-big-guy-weighing-himself-in-the-morning-and-shocked-by-what-he-sees-2540038.thumb.jpg.95400390c60f94c6184dd1bca7500ccc.jpg

This chit is funny!

• Haha 1

I just want to reassure you slimmers that I continue to enjoy my nightly G&T and my weekly carry-out from my excellent Chinese establishment. At my advanced age, it's my policy to eat or drink anything that might give me pleasure and to hell with the consequences.....I mean what's the worst thing that could happen? When all other pleasures of the flesh are denied you.....then this is what you're left with... which sucks really but that's life.

As far as exercise is concerned, I concentrate all my energy in sitting very still and growing my beard which is now snowy white and abundant making me look like an irascible Santa Claus. The overall result when I'm out and tottering around with my stick....means that heavily pregnant woman get up and offer me their seat.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I just want to reassure you slimmers that I continue to enjoy my nightly G&T and my weekly carry-out from my excellent Chinese establishment. At my advanced age, it's my policy to eat or drink anything that might give me pleasure and to hell with the consequences.....I mean what's the worst thing that could happen? When all other pleasures of the flesh are denied you.....then this is what you're left with... which sucks really but that's life.

As far as exercise is concerned, I concentrate all my energy in sitting very still and growing my beard which is now snowy white and abundant making me look like an irascible Santa Claus. The overall result when I'm out and tottering around with my stick....means that heavily pregnant woman get up and offer me their seat.

You will know success when children, at the first sight of you, suck in their breath and contemplate running and screaming.  I've taken a lesson from method acting and now when I glance at them I contemplate how tasty they might be if roasted.  They seem to capture that feeling in my glance.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

You will know success when children, at the first sight of you, suck in their breath and contemplate running and screaming.  I've taken a lesson from method acting and now when I glance at them I contemplate how tasty they might be if roasted.  They seem to capture that feeling in my glance.

Not at all....not at all. Children seem to sense that I'm an absolute delight as a person and tend to smile and go all shy while I just chuckle and look really lovable. In times past and after I retired, I taught at a Primary school I would invite all the young mothers to sit on my knee and tell me their Christmas wishes........good times.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've ebbed.  I'm back up about 5 pounds but I've been eating a lot of restaurant soups and my salt intake has been abnormally high lately.  I just need to get through these next two days and I'm in good shape.  I just wanted to call it out because weight loss isn't always unicorns and rainbows.  And definitely not linear. I am riding my bike now but there's no doubt I need to get through the holidays w/ little damage before I feel better/safer.

• Heart 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have been hovering about the same weight now for awhile. I put on 5 lbs over the holidays and have managed to drop only 2 of those so far.  Not bad in two weeks time... right on schedule for a pound a week but I feel impatient. I am targeting another 50 lbs so this thread is going to be around awhile. At least my weight loss is flowing now if only at a trickle.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to chime in. As some of you know, I dropped aboot 25-30 pounds in 2017 from riding my ass off...literally, which brought me down to my ideal fighting weight :) When I got sick last spring I dropped around 10 pounds from lack of an appetite and weighed in at the doc. I went back to the doc in January and was up around 10 pounds (back to normal), but doc commented on the differential. No biggie though. When I made my return doc trip a few weeks ago, I'm down 10 pounds from normal:wacko: again another fluctuation comment :D

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I'm going to chime in. As some of you know, I dropped aboot 25-30 pounds in 2017 from riding my ass off...literally, which brought me down to my ideal fighting weight :) When I got sick last spring I dropped around 10 pounds from lack of an appetite and weighed in at the doc. I went back to the doc in January and was up around 10 pounds (back to normal), but doc commented on the differential. No biggie though. When I made my return doc trip a few weeks ago, I'm down 10 pounds from normal:wacko: again another fluctuation comment :D

How do you pick you ideal fighting weight? I like to base mine on my optimal cycling weight, but I think that would be a horrible fighting weight :D

But for ups and downs, I usually hit my seasonal low around Aug/Sept, which corresponds to my ideal riding fitness. Then, the taper off in fitness followed by vacations and holidays (and sometimes inactivity due to illness), results in the 5-10 pounds coming back in time for a new season to start (right about now!)  So, I'm happy to get back in the saddle more often again as the weather brightens, but I did a 50 miler last weekend and the final 10 miles were tough - not due to weight, but more due to muscles not being in form yet.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

How do you pick you ideal fighting weight? I like to base mine on my optimal cycling weight, but I think that would be a horrible fighting weight :D

But for ups and downs, I usually hit my seasonal low around Aug/Sept, which corresponds to my ideal riding fitness. Then, the taper off in fitness followed by vacations and holidays (and sometimes inactivity due to illness), results in the 5-10 pounds coming back in time for a new season to start (right about now!)  So, I'm happy to get back in the saddle more often again as the weather brightens, but I did a 50 miler last weekend and the final 10 miles were tough - not due to weight, but more due to muscles not being in form yet.

My ideal weight is anything less than 50 lbs than what I weigh now. After that, I probably won't care what my (ideal) ideal weight is. I am the proud owner of 3 stents and anything that slashes my odds of a cardiac event is my ideal weight and they grow exponentially in my favor with another 50 lb drop. Besides, I'm getting real tired of playing the loveable, plump teddy bear around here. 

I had managed to gain back four ofthe twenty pounds that mysteriously disappeared last May. Then this year my wife got sick and doesn’t want to eat. I was making nice meals for awhile but she wouldn’t eat them so now I’ll cook comething for her and make something else for myself. It’s a bit stressful being the caregiver and when I got on the scale last week I was below 180#. I lost all my gains and then some.

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I had managed to gain back four ofthe twenty pounds that mysteriously disappeared last May. Then this year my wife got sick and doesn’t want to eat. I was making nice meals for awhile but she wouldn’t eat them so now I’ll cook comething for her and make something else for myself. It’s a bit stressful being the caregiver and when I got on the scale last week I was below 180#. I lost all my gains and then some. 

I'm not suggesting an all ice cream sandwich and milkshake diet for you, but I strongly suggest you give it a try just in case!

13 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Take care of yourself, John, so you can take care of her.  You're good people and I'm tired of seeing good people drop.... especially the weight.  So give me some of what you don't have and I'll give you some of what I do have.  Deal??

• Awesome 1

• 3 years later...
4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

WHAT KIND OF DREDGE IS THIS?!?!?!

An excellent one if I do say so myself, and I do!  I was thinking aboot this thread the other day. A great example of the weight roller coaster that many of us find ourselves on. A marathon, not a sprint. :) I have been chugging up the main hill now so I am working on cresting the damn thing.   :D

• Hugs 2

1 minute ago, Ralphie said:

An excellent one if I do say so myself, and I do!  I was thinking aboot this thread the other day. A great example of the weight roller coaster that many of us find ourselves on. A marathon, not a sprint. :) I have been chugging up the main hill now so I am working on cresting the damn thing.   :D

I wish I knew WTF you were rambling on about, but it sounds good, so KUDOS!

• Thank You 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/12/2019 at 3:00 PM, Razors Edge said:

I'm not suggesting an all ice cream sandwich and milkshake diet for you, but I strongly suggest you give it a try just in case!

During the two+ years I was primary care giver for my wife I had two heart attacks so the ice cream diet probably would not have helped.