The ebb and flow of body weight.

Dottleshead

So looking at my records, I've managed to drop about ten pounds since the month of May.  Today I got on the scale and it was the lowest I've been in awhile.  I also just got back from having a physical and they actually had me as a pound less on their superized techno scale. This is all great and I'm very happy to have turned the tides, and it seems my new approach is sticking -- but I've got another 50 pounds to go.  My doctor did recommend a drug I could take if I wanted, but it's expensive and not covered by insurance.  If I bought it directly from the manufacturer, it'd be $100 a month.  But I'm not going to use that crutch until I'm really struggling and based on 6 weeks of effort, there won't need to be.

Anybody out there taking meds for fat reduction??

On 07/14/2018 at 1:23 PM, Square Wheels said:

Sadly, I think most, and I really mean most, of what people eat is pure garbage.  Tons of calories, almost no nutrition.  Does it taste good?  Of course.  I'd love a yummy meatball sub smothered in cheese.  Probably more calories than I eat in a day.  I haven't had one in at least a dozen years, and likely never will again.

I've really gotten tired of so much bread and cheese and meat everywhere.  I love good bread but there is so much bad bread around.  I don't enjoy eating so much bread but it is hard to avoid.

I reached a low the day before but managed to put that pound back on. Still, I'm about 8 pounds under my high water mark in mid-May and I'll take that.  I seem to have plateau'd at this water mark and it'll probably fight me for awhile before it too gives in and recedes.  I've got time.  Slow and steady.

On 7/21/2018 at 5:38 AM, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I've gained a couple over the last week.  Also aboot that far below the high water mark, about 10 pounds.  You are right, it is snot easy to keep it from creeping up!  Like staying on top of anything, takes work and dedication, dammit! :D

There's a reason I watch my weight more closely these days.  Because when I look at my weight from June 1st, I've only dropped 4 pounds and I've been really, really good.  While it's true it's almost 10 lbs from my high water mark in May, the point is even a few years younger and this would probably have been twice much as it is today.  Metabolism slows and my energy to do things drops.  Getting older does indeed make weight loss more of a challenge.  It's almost as though all those people who came before me knew what they were talking about!  :)

But the above is also a good example about why I've become so anal about documenting it.  Simply because even today before I reviewed my records, I was convinced in my mind I had done better.  To quote Bill Parcells, "You are what your record says you are."  Losing 4 pounds since then is good news indeed but it's very precarious.  I can go out there right now and destroy that gain with one or two dinners.  And it also tells me I've lost 4 pounds in 6 weeks -- that already I'm behind losing a pound a week.  It'll be curious to see what my rate of weight loss is in another 6 weeks.

Keep fighting the good fight Ralph.  

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Because when I look at my weight from June 1st, I've only dropped 4 pounds and I've been really, really good.

I dropped three pounds between yesterday and the conclusion of my ride this afternoon.  I plan to have it back on ASAP! All water weight. :D

Can you stand on the scale (eyes closed), but have someone else look at and record the value?  You won't know the variations day-to-day but the other person can tell you weekly or monthly your trend line?

I worry that folks paying too much attention to a daily number (when gathering their historic numbers) can have negative consequences on morale.

Also, metabolism is pretty variable, so maybe there is something you can do to ramp that into overdrive? Certainly, my metabolism has been insane (teen/college), slowed way down in my late twenties when I became lazy, and is now pretty high again. 

You can do it!

Tom

• Awesome 1

31 minutes ago, Dottles said:

But the above is also a good example about why I've become so anal about documenting it.

In that case, get an electronic scale that uploads your weight.  I got a Garmin scale a few years ago and love it.  My wife and are are pretty far apart in weight, so it knows which one of us is on it and sends that automatically to our Garmin account.

33 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I dropped three pounds between yesterday and the conclusion of my ride this afternoon.  I plan to have it back on ASAP! All water weight. :D

Can you stand on the scale (eyes closed), but have someone else look at and record the value?  You won't know the variations day-to-day but the other person can tell you weekly or monthly your trend line?

I worry that folks paying too much attention to a daily number (when gathering their historic numbers) can have negative consequences on morale.

Also, metabolism is pretty variable, so maybe there is something you can do to ramp that into overdrive? Certainly, my metabolism has been insane (teen/college), slowed way down in my late twenties when I became lazy, and is now pretty high again. 

You can do it!

Tom

Tom I'm with you.  For most my life I was pretty darn fit.  I was hell bent to not become one of those 'guys' that got fatter in when they get older.  Well, it's tough not to let it happen.  Because life gets busy, and things happen.  Stress I think is a real thing.  But whatever the reason, I found if I am not watching it daily now, it can get out of hand fast.  I think you'll appreciate it more when it (aging) happens to you. I understand all about water weight.  It can really be volatile.  So I make it a point of at least every other day and based on looking at my data entries, I'm recording it about once every 3 or 4 days.

I think the point I'm trying to stress is I applied similar logic to myself when I was younger too because it was based on real time and accurate statistics based on my own experience in my lifetime.  The problem -- and I believe the key  -- is to maintain your health and body weight through your 30s but then be ready for the change to happen. At some point we don't burn calories like we used to.  At some point, we don't have the endless tap of energy resources like we used to,  At some point, things become more work than they used.  We experience deaths in our families and friends and we begin formulating different philosophies on life.  I know I have.  We see our own mortality come into view clearer than ever before because we know our expire time is around the corner.  I know over time I have slowly adopted a philosophy of accepting a path of least resistance. it happens.  The change is subtle and occurs differently for individuals -- but a some point all this can start working against you.  At some point, we can no longer eat the same input we have naturally been doing our whole lives.  The supply literally outweighs the demand and by the time I got a hold of it, it was about 20-30 pounds too late.  I still operated with this idea that I could reverse it anytime I wanted to -- because in the past I had done that. Hard lesson learned.

So I find these days my weight can't be too far out of my mind or I'm going to pay the price for that.  I based that on the last 3 or 4 years of my experience dieting in my late 40s and now in my early, early 50s.  The times I did best were when I was thinking about it and by far the worst times occurred when I was thinking about it.

Your experience may differ but that's my life and it's the way it is.  

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

In that case, get an electronic scale that uploads your weight.  I got a Garmin scale a few years ago and love it.  My wife and are are pretty far apart in weight, so it knows which one of us is on it and sends that automatically to our Garmin account. 

You've mentioned that before.  At $150, it is pretty steep for a scale.  Cool, but pricey.  For me, it would be a waste, but I can see where it would be an useful aid to some folks.

Tom

10 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That's actually a good idea!  I do have an electronic scale but I'm entering my weight on my telephone.  I really like the idea of stepping on the scale and having it upload.  But my concern is sometimes those scales are finicky.  I find I have to step on them 3 or 4 times to get a solid reading as they may actually fluctuate by a couple pounds and I like to throw out the extreme points and take the bell curve entry.  So if I got on it like 4 times consecutively, is it going to upload it 4 times?

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

Don't listen to him when he tries to sell you on a vegan diet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually, he might be correct, and I would bet a diet like his would help in many ways for many people.

Tom

He is correct.  it would be better if I dropped meat.  But I'm a carnivore and  I happen to really enjoy eating a half rack of ribs, a burger, or some turkey. The key IMHO is to eliminate or at least greatly reduce red meat.  I have done that for some time now but admit to eating it sometimes. I don't think I could ever be or would want to be a total vegan... though there is some super awesome Indian food that could change my mind if I adopted their cuisine on a full time basis.

57 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

So I guess yours never says "one at a time, please". :D

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Dottles said:

He is correct.  it would be better if I dropped meat.  But I'm a carnivore and  I happen to really enjoy eating a half rack of ribs, a burger, or some turkey. The key IMHO is to eliminate or at least greatly reduce red meat.  I have done that for some time now but admit to eating it sometimes. I don't think I could ever be or would want to be a total vegan... though there is some super awesome Indian food that could change my mind if I adopted their cuisine on a full time basis.

I've cut back on meat a good bit.  Works well for me since I can live without it most of the time, and summer is the easiest time to eat more veggies like tomatoes, cukes, and peppers.

• Heart 1

There's no question it's calories in vs calories out.  I use the calculator at sparkpeople.com to determine what my avg. calories/day should be to maintain or lose weight at a decent rate.

Exercise is important for two reasons when you're losing weight:

1) if you don't exercise, up to 22% of the weight you lose could be muscle mass.

2) if you're way out of shape, you've taught your body that it doesn't have to waste the energy to make a lot of the enzymes and other biochemicals involved in transporting and burning fat so it makes an insufficient amount compared to when you're in shape.  It does continue to make the biochemicals needed to turn carbs (sugars) into energy because that's tied into the "fear response" quick-energy body reactions. So your body doesn't burn as much fat as it should while your losing weight, focusing on burning carbs.  That's the condition people mistakenly call "slow metabolism."  In order to tell your body it needs to start making fat-burning chemicals, you need to repeatedly create a "systemic response" by exercising (at least 3 days/wk) for the amount of time designated for the exercises in the 2nd page of the 4 below, all copied from Covert Bailey's Smart Exercise, which is based on his MIT research. The book includes great details about % max. heart rate when exercising, how much exercise, rest cycles, diet, etc:

2076012594_p086Exerciseburnscarbs.JPG.0a5125142e001d3c95bb44de34a5b412.JPG

176534275_p100(1of3).JPG.e981b304bd2cc1a46eb9a8dead828bb1.JPG

658898421_p101(2of3).JPG.643c35d8e1e766b8db51abd470f4282e.JPG

1329005724_p102(3of3).JPG.f4d87763ea125e0973ff86e6cba3e72d.JPG

• Awesome 2

Good article, Mick!  Looks like outdoor cycling is the sweet spot if you don;t want to kill your jounts with running.  Sadly I usually only walk 20 minutes per night with Ruby - I guess I can try to double it.  Or since that is so boring, I can also try to up the pace a little.

Well...I just got back from visiting a friend...she is about 5 years or so younger than me...and also struggling with the weight gain of an aging body....Yes we had ice cream over the weekend....but healthy breakfast everyday...There was no over eating  options...I think todays lunch was the largest meal...no alcohol and lots of walking (except for today!!) 

I think there is a small portion of people who are "naturally" slender....and then there are people who just aren't into food... The rest of us have to work hard for small victories.

Dinner tonight was McDonalds...only because I was on the road all day and my fridge is pretty bare coming home (except for the cheese I just bought)... The more I eat healthy...the less I want things like fast food or doughnuts....Add to that the cost..fast food ain't cheap... I'd rather have the $$$$

One Day at a Time...small victories will lead to big results.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm turning into a wacko.  I'm reading too much about sugar and am getting more convinced it had lead to the growing waistline in the world.  I am trying to remove sugar from my life now.  It's really hard.

You are not a wacko.  The one time I made a SERIOUS commitment to losing weight is when I jogged 2 miles about 4 days a week and reduced my sugar intake by like 75% or whatever.  The weight fell off.  

13 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Was that when you were a youngster?  Believe me, it doesn't get any easier with age.:whistle:

Yes, I was in my 30s.  But today I've dropped almost 10 pounds from my high water mark in May.  I've done that by portion control, sticking to a 2000 calorie limit or close to, and really, really cutting back on sugar.  Some exercise.  But I need to be careful with that because when I push myself hard physically my body screams out for nourishment.  I can get really hungry after exercising.  Obviously there is a happy space there.

So here comes the flow.  When I opened this thread 2 weeks ago, the ebb had me 11 pounds heavier.  Yesterday I rode in the 90+ degree heat and almost blew a gasket but did finish a 25 mile ride.  No doubt I'll replace some of that weight with water throughout the day but I'm not putting on more than 2 lbs today.  Either way -- that's 10 pounds in 2 weeks -- a pace that's most likely not sustainable.  I've been doing it mainly with reduced calorie intake and staying away from the loaded sugar bombs.  The only thing that I've had in the last 2-3 weeks that was 'bad' for me was a single bear claw in the morning one day.

• Awesome 1

On 7/23/2018 at 9:33 PM, Square Wheels said:

I'm turning into a wacko.  I'm reading too much about sugar and am getting more convinced it had lead to the growing waistline in the world.  I am trying to remove sugar from my life now.  It's really hard.

Ever since reading Salt, Sugar, and Fat, I have been extra aware of how addictive these freaking things are!  Sugar seems to lead the pack - certain candies definitely turn me into an addict!  Jelly beans, Sour Patch Kids, Good N Plenties, M&Ms, Goldenberg's, etc. - once I start on these I am drawn back like a moth to a light .  Chips are super addictive, using two tricks from the playbook - salt and fat are an awesome combination!  The Goldenberg;s show the power of sugar and fat together.

It is all sort of fascinating really, and it is sort of fun, us against them :D

Eschewing processed food feels great!  Cheese is still my main vice in that area.  Ice cream too, but I am doing fairly well at limiting both.  Same with beer.  Conventional light beer sucks though, so I need to 'splore the lower calories of beers like Guiness.  Hmm, I wonder if porters share that lower calorie count - time to look!

3 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Ever since reading Salt, Sugar, and Fat, I have been extra aware of how addictive these freaking things are!  Sugar seems to lead the pack - certain candies definitely turn me into an addict!  Jelly beans, Sour Patch Kids, Good N Plenties, M&Ms, Goldenberg's, etc. - once I start on these I am drawn back like a moth to a light .  Chips are super addictive, using two tricks from the playbook - salt and fat are an awesome combination!  The Goldenberg;s show the power of sugar and fat together.

It is all sort of fascinating really, and it is sort of fun, us against them :D

Eschewing processed food feels great!  Cheese is still my main vice in that area.

That's it.  We all know it.  We all know that bad things out there for us.  Basically if it's man made, stay the heck away from it. It's almost impossible these days unless one eats like a rabbit -- and if you went into isolation and seclusion your chances improve.  Cutting out ice cream, chips, and crap things like donuts and sugar drinks can greatly improve the playing field.  I mean if I eliminate those three things from my diet, I at least level the playing field. If I cut back on restaurants, I've really really done about the best I can to attacking weight gain from the input level.  If I start throwing in more bike rides/walks and continue to drink a lot of water, I'm really moving in the right direction.

14 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Salt, Sugar, and Fat

If you cook your own food, none of these are ever factors.  Heck, fat is a good thing in those situations, and salt is a required mineral.  It would be pretty tough to get too much (any?) added sugar in homemade meals. 

Essentially, salt, sugar, and fat - as "bad" things - are almost solely a result of processed food and fast food.  Avoid those two situations and there is no problem.

Tom

• Heart 2

Hmm, looks like in general stouts and porters are sort of high in calories.  And basically the calories and alcohol content are related, so there is no free lunch as far as calories go from high alcohol beers. In fact, both Miller and Bud have super low 55 and 64 calorie beers with aboot 2.8% alcohol - I didn't know that!  Guinnes draught shows 125 but extra stount more - I never knew the diffference  - I only drink it on tap in restaurants - the bottles never appealed to me, although the Murphy's and Boddington's cans are awesome!  Lagunitas IPA is high! :(

http://www.efficientdrinker.com/beer/complete-calories-abv/

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Hmm, looks like in general stouts and porters are sort of high in calories.  And basically the calories and alcohol content are related, so there is no free lunch as fare as calories go from high alcohol beers. In fact, both Miller and Bud have super low 55 and 64 calorie beers with aboot 2.8% alcohol - I didn't know that!  Guinnes draught shows 125 but extra stount more - I never knew the diffference  - I only drink it on tap in restaurants - the bottles never appealed to me, although the Murphy's and Boddington's cans are awesome!  Lagunitas IPA is high! :(

Oh yeah, I didn't include empty calorie beverages like alcohol.  I don't drink it but if I did, I'd give it up because I'm not the type that's just going to drink 1 and it's not going to be crap beer.  

8 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

That is what I aim to do, but you are right, it is easily derailed with other people and restaurants.

Depends on the people. My wife is very supportive and we are on the same page.  Restaurants also come in a wide variety with a wide selection of good or bad options, so that's a place where you really have to stay on your toes and be aware how easy it is to make a "mistake".  But I still find folks' weight will trend downward as long as they track what they eat (accurately). 

Tom

7 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

Depends on the people. My wife is very supportive and we are on the same page.  Restaurants also come in a wide variety with a wide selection of good or bad options, so that's a place where you really have to stay on your toes and be aware how easy it is to make a "mistake".  But I still find folks' weight will trend downward as long as they track what they eat (accurately). 

Tom

All that is true.  But on Friday nights I belong to a club that likes to go out to a Mexican restaurant afterwards.  I've got that menu down and I scour it for the best options.  I have really since about 6 months ago when we joined.  I don't care what is said -- while I can greatly improve me dining experience there -- I'm still going to get a lot of calories and/or fried shit.  It's more work to go into a Americanized Mexican restaurant and try to eat healthy versus simply avoiding it all together.  So I go to this socialized event and work on damage control.  But that's all it is.  Because you don't go into this restaurant and enjoy yourself without taking a hit.

The good news is I know that up front.  I keep damage to a minimum and curtail my intake during the day before or after. If I rob from Peter, Peter doesn't get paid.  He just sacrifices.

So I got that call today from my doctor and it wasn't good. I paid $200 out of my own pocket to scan my heart for plaque build up and I was almost 2+ times the high risk category for other folks in my age group. Doctor immediately called in the statins and put me on baby aspirin. Best $200 I have spent. I am a walking heart attack waiting to happen. Cardiovascular Artery Disease is the number one killer in the United States. 

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

So I got that call today from my doctor and it wasn't good. I paid $200 out of my own pocket to scan my heart for plaque build up and I was almost 2+ times the high risk category for other folks in my age group. Doctor immediately called in the statins and put me on baby aspirin. Best $200 I have spent. I am a walking heart attack waiting to happen. Cardiovascular Artery Disease is the number one killer in the United States. 

Yes, statins are the lesser of two weevils in this case!

On 07/27/2018 at 2:05 PM, Dottles said:

All that is true.  But on Friday nights I belong to a club that likes to go out to a Mexican restaurant afterwards.  I've got that menu down and I scour it for the best options.  I have really since about 6 months ago when we joined.  I don't care what is said -- while I can greatly improve me dining experience there -- I'm still going to get a lot of calories and/or fried shit.  It's more work to go into a Americanized Mexican restaurant and try to eat healthy versus simply avoiding it all together.  So I go to this socialized event and work on damage control.  But that's all it is.  Because you don't go into this restaurant and enjoy yourself without taking a hit.

The good news is I know that up front.  I keep damage to a minimum and curtail my intake during the day before or after. If I rob from Peter, Peter doesn't get paid.  He just sacrifices.

Red Robin started putting the calorie count on their burgers and it is eye opening!  Not even sure if they include the fries in that count (but at least they seem to supply fewer fires lately).  But it is a good step to show people what the flock they are doing to themselves y eating there!  Not that it should be a big surprise but seeing it in black and white makes it more real and helps suppress de Nile. :D

8 hours ago, Dottles said:

Cardiovascular Artery Disease is the number one killer in the United States. 

Something has to be #1, so why not this?  :whistle:

But, yeah, better to detect this sort of crap earlier rather than later, and hopefully the meds will be a good proactive step.

Tom

• Awesome 1

Catching up on this thread and the perspectives are interesting.  One thing that I've prescribed to with my recent weight loss is to just eat less. You would be amazed how little your body actually needs to function efficiently and I actually feel better when don't gorge myself with food.

A lot of focus on meat but I found the bigger culprit for me is carbs from breads, pasta, rice & potatoes.  I eat maybe 1-2 servings of these types a carbs a month.  As in maybe every other week. My protien is mostly chicken, fish, pork and yes... tofu and we have around 2 vegetarian dinners a week. I skip bfast most days, early lunch, afternoon snack and dinner with a conscious effort to limit evening snacking.

With my rest period my weight crept up a couple of lbs but as of today I'm back down 1 lb. I feel better when I'm working out too.

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Catching up on this thread and the perspectives are interesting.  One thing that I've prescribed to with my recent weight loss is to just eat less. You would be amazed how little your body actually needs to function efficiently and I actually feel better when don't gorge myself with food.

A lot of focus on meat but I found the bigger culprit for me is carbs from breads, pasta, rice & potatoes.  I eat maybe 1-2 servings of these types a carbs a month.  As in maybe every other week. My protien is mostly chicken, fish, pork and yes... tofu and we have around 2 vegetarian dinners a week. I skip bfast most days, early lunch, afternoon snack and dinner with a conscious effort to limit evening snacking.

With my rest period my weight crept up a couple of lbs but as of today I'm back down 1 lb. I feel better when I'm working out too.

Chris, you basically described my approach. A lot of my eating was reward based -- especially after giving up drinking and smoking -- so I've just simply cut back on the intake and the carbs.  That's dropped 10lbs and I know I'll have to do more exercise if I want it to really come off.  And given my recent diagnosis -- I really want it to come off.

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Yes, statins are the lesser of two weevils in this case!

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Something has to be #1, so why not this?  :whistle:

But, yeah, better to detect this sort of crap earlier rather than later, and hopefully the meds will be a good proactive step.

Tom

It's pretty scary.  i'm over twice as likely to have a heart attack than the high risk category.... or at least that's the way I interpret it.  Can't get in and see the specialist until the end of this month (almost 4 weeks away).  I hope I'm around long enough to tell you my cardio specialist results.

• 2 weeks later...

Well after spending the first month curbing the tide, I managed to stabilize my weight, gain and stopped the bleeding and get my mind straight.  Today, I find myself officially down 15 pounds -- all in the last month and a half really - by simply cutting out processed sugars, processed foods, compound foods, and replacing mostly my meat based diet with more veggie dishes.  While I'm not totally vegan and totally vegetarian (yet), I can honestly say after watching my slow weight gain crawl and cutting deals with myself that I would always seem to break or conveniently forget, I am inspired to continue down this path and watch the 15 years of eating a self-sabotage diet disappear.  

• Awesome 1

Well after spending the first month curbing the tide, I managed to stabilize my weight, gain and stopped the bleeding and get my mind straight.  Today, I find myself officially down 15 pounds -- all in the last month and a half really - by simply cutting out processed sugars, processed foods, compound foods, and replacing mostly my meat based diet with more veggie dishes.  While I'm not totally vegan and totally vegetarian (yet), I can honestly say after watching my slow weight gain crawl and cutting deals with myself that I would always seem to break or conveniently forget, I am inspired to continue down this path and watch the 15 years of eating a self-sabotage diet disappear.  

You have ebbed fabulously - congrats!

• Awesome 1

Sweet!  If you can lose five pounds a month (roughly 1 lbs/week), you will be down where you want to be in a reasonable and healthy amount of time.  This 15 is a great start, but the next 15 or 35 or whatever will take a little longer but will be just as exciting.

Good luck!

Tom

• Awesome 1