The ebb and flow of body weight.

Dottleshead

7 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Do you believe, after increasing your physical activity and adopting healthier eating habits, that you would lapse back into your old habits? 

Come on, man! You ride your bike in the basement on a trainer.  If you can do that and not go insane, then you have the willpower to eat (and enjoy) food in moderation.

Tom

Nope, I have very little power over food.  Sweets are my crack.

• Awesome 1

So I had some soup yesterday and ate my share of healthy stuff but more than usual and I actually put on 2 pounds.  I also had some veggie pho today so I'm not looking for much 'sheddage of poundage' tomorrow or the remainder of the week really.  I seem to be evening out a little as expected.  Now if I go up 2 pounds tomorrow, I'm gonna be pissed.

3 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

you can't stress over daily movement... maybe you just need to drop a deuce? :)

I pick one day of the week, same time, same circumstances, as much as possible, and that's the official weight. You'll go crazy trying to rationalize daily changes.

Dude, eating all these veggies and fiber.... I've been really ripe.  But I'm not going to go there.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

well it's been over 2 weeks now and I seem to have leveled off or at least plateau'ing with my weight.  I guess I'm still down about 18 pounds.  I'm happy to hang around this weight for awhile and stabilize but I suspect if I want to lose anymore, I'm going to have to cut back on portions and incorporate my exercise program again. Fine by me, but finding the time this summer has been hard as I have had a lot of yard projects and other.  But the good news is I'm ok with just holding serve (for now).  I feel so much better but I can't rest to long.  I really need to drop another 20 lbs or more in the next 9 months.  If I can do that, I'll be happy for this year.

• Awesome 1

Work interferes with weight loss. If you didn’t work you could get up early in the morning and head straight for the lake. Don’t pack a lunch, stay out there all day. The pounds just drop off. True story, wasn’t intentional. I have an appointment with my PCP on the 14th, I’ll see if I managed to get some of that 20 lbs. back.

• Heart 1

On 9/2/2018 at 1:30 AM, Dottles said:

Indeed.  But I knocked of 20 pounds through diet alone.  In a month and a half.

Here's the bad news :( - the number of calories folks burn tends to drop as they lose weight. Then, the body also ramps up its signal to your brain to eat MORE (ie ghrelin hormone goes up, leptin hormone down).  So, your body starts burning fewer calories yet your body also starts telling you to eat more.  Your "bang-for-your-buck" gets more challenging.  

Long story short, the best way folks can lose weight and keep it off is the pick a good diet that you enjoy and stick with it.  Find the better food substitutes that aren't compromises, and roll with them. Add in gradual increases in activity so that by the end of several months, you are in a better place - eating and exercising - than you were before AND can maintain or optimize that forever (nothing really lasts forever). 

My main point would always be "would you rather lose 20 lbs in 45 days OR 52 lbs in a year? question."  While not mutually exclusive, the gradual and steady loss over a longer period of time really helps a person adapt and evolve, while the quicker method often leads to plateaus that eventually discourage dieters :(

Be strong, but take it easy on yourself even if it seems like it has to be NOW.  That added stress of having to lose weight constantly is an emotional anchor.  You'll get the weight down and under control.

Tom

• Awesome 1

Dude.  I agree with you.  My diet is not changing.  I have no choice.  If I don't stick with it, I literally die.  It's that simple.  And that easy. So the pounds will come off now when they come off -- and we both know the rate of which it comes off now will be gradual.  For me, this is not a gimmick or a temporary reduction.  This is a total lifestyle change.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Here's the bad news :( - the number of calories folks burn tends to drop as they lose weight. Then, the body also ramps up its signal to your brain to eat MORE (ie ghrelin hormone goes up, leptin hormone down).  So, your body starts burning fewer calories yet your body also starts telling you to eat more.  Your "bang-for-your-buck" gets more challenging.  

Long story short, the best way folks can lose weight and keep it off is the pick a good diet that you enjoy and stick with it.  Find the better food substitutes that aren't compromises, and roll with them. Add in gradual increases in activity so that by the end of several months, you are in a better place - eating and exercising - than you were before AND can maintain or optimize that forever (nothing really lasts forever). 

My main point would always be "would you rather lose 20 lbs in 45 days OR 52 lbs in a year? question."  While not mutually exclusive, the gradual and steady loss over a longer period of time really helps a person adapt and evolve, while the quicker method often leads to plateaus that eventually discourage dieters :(

Be strong, but take it easy on yourself even if it seems like it has to be NOW.  That added stress of having to lose weight constantly is an emotional anchor.  You'll get the weight down and under control.

Tom

That may work for some, but not all.  Slow and steady also just reduces to slow and none. 

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

That may work for some, but not all.  Slow and steady also just reduces to slow and none. 

RE is a younger guy.  I find myself agreeing with many things he says on diet and weight loss but his views on body weight, weight loss, and age are askew.  What used to work for me the last 30 years doesn't work for me in my 50s.  

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

RE is a younger guy.  I find myself agreeing with many things he says on diet and weight loss but his views on body weight, weight loss, and age are askew.  What used to work for me the last 30 years doesn't work for me in my 50s.  

SS had me pegged at 55 or older!

Tom

18 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Reducing carbs is supposed to be amazing.  I wish I could. 

I don't worry about carbs if I am eating a whole foods, plant based diet. If you can do this most of it takes care of itself. So... I suspect you are talking the candy thing? That stuff can be an issue, especially if you have given up everything else. Those little rewards and cravings are nothing to dismiss.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Best thing I have ever done.  Let me tell you the noticeable changes so far..  And it has only been 6 weeks.

No more dry skin or scaly elbows.

No more heartburn

No more post nasal drip

No more wheezing with exertion

Clarity of thought and memory

BP is lower 

Cholesterols are Lower LDL and higher HDL.

31 lbs of weight loss.  

Mood is better

Energy level is high all day

Sleep is steady through the night

Snoring has stopped. 

Inflammation markers are decreasing. 

I don't miss cookies and have lost my taste for sweets

Other than that, it's working for you?? ?

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

Best thing I have ever done.  Let me tell you the noticeable changes so far..  And it has only been 6 weeks.

No more dry skin or scaly elbows.

No more heartburn

No more post nasal drip

No more wheezing with exertion

Clarity of thought and memory

BP is lower 

Cholesterols are Lower LDL and higher HDL.

31 lbs of weight loss.  

Mood is better

Energy level is high all day

Sleep is steady through the night

Snoring has stopped. 

Inflammation markers are decreasing. 

I don't miss cookies and have lost my taste for sweets

Wow, good for you!

Just now, Dottles said:

I don't worry about carbs if I am eating a whole foods, plant based diet. If you can do this most of it takes care of itself. So... I suspect you are talking the candy thing? That stuff can be an issue, especially if you have given up everything else. Those little rewards and cravings are nothing to dismiss.

Possibly not true.  Read the Case Against Sugar.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Wow, good for you!

Possibly not true.  Read the Case Against Sugar.

Whole food sugar is fine like fruit. I am talking about not dismissing real thoughts on sweet cravings. Those are real and I get them all the time. I just don't act on them. And as Wilbur says, they become less frequent and the loss of not satisfying them becomes weaker and weaker. I know in another month or so, those thoughts will be seldom. I speak from my own experience. I know how it works for me. It's the same with nicotine or booze or anything else. Don't feed the beast and sooner or later it goes into hiding.

6 minutes ago, Dottles said:

More proof this works and just how prolific and invasive animal products in our society have become. The dude literally had to ditch it when it hurt his profession.

http://www.espn.com/blog/arizona-cardinals/post/_/id/30523/david-johnson-re-packed-on-needed-pounds-after-ditching-vegan-diet

Plenty of successful vegan athletes out there.

I am glad @Square Wheels , @Wilbur, @petitepedal and others continue to report in here. I think it's both helpful and supportive knowing what is working for others. I think we are all in agreement that eliminating processed foods and sugar are essential in weight loss. Because of my recent diagnosis, I have included a more vegan diet. By being more vegan, I can eliminate the first from dairy products so basically going more vegan essentially takes care of the carb problem. And I am not perfect but a 95% success rate works great for me. 

On 7/16/2018 at 11:59 AM, Tizeye said:

I typically lose 10-15 lbs each year when go to visit daughter in Switzerland. I called it my Swiss chocolate diet (plus she doesn't have a car so walk everywhere.) Then last week saw som click bait on chocolate and apparently there is something to losing weight on chocolate. It does have to be at least 70% cocoa for a benefit due to the sugar in the lower amounts.

I've been having luck not seeing my blood sugar spike with Kirkland (Costco) Nut Bars.  They're listed as 210 Cal., but the almonds, cashews, and walnuts in the chocolate bars interfere with the rate of the sugar being absorbed into the blood stream.

Desire...that is #1

#2 Is determining what works best for you and how to make it a lifestyle.

#3 Determination and hard work

I had a woman get mad at me..she was on some funky diet...and I said "diet, is what you eat..everyday...it is not a short term fix for weight loss"  Nope not in her book..diet was just a weight loss thing.

Make sure this is something you can live with!  

A couple of things I like..."Eating Well" magazine they have great recipes..some vegetarian, some vegan, and some with meat, chicken and fish..."Diabetic Living" also has some good recipes..sometimes I pick one up..even though I am not diabetic.

Another thing...is taking time to actually appreciate your food..making it and eating it.

That's my 2 cents worth for today..you guys are doing great.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, MickinMD said:

I've been having luck not seeing my blood sugar spike with Kirkland (Costco) Nut Bars.  They're listed as 210 Cal., but the almonds, cashews, and walnuts in the chocolate bars interfere with the rate of the sugar being absorbed into the blood stream.

Nuts are good. People always talk about their high calories but study after study shows a handful+ of nuts daily on top of your normal diet has no impact on weight gain. Zero and in the process make you feel full and are really healthy for you. Good move 

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Dottles said:

Well it's been almost 4 weeks and I'm still down 20 pounds.  In other words, I've leveled off and stabilized.  I've gotten into a good rhythm but I need to start thinking about dropping again. I want to make another run for 20 pounds now before the holidays hit.

I recently dropped about 30 lbs and saw that my weight would drop, plateau, and then drop again.  I was in a good regimens of excersize and diet but it seemed every few weeks weight loss would stop, and then start.

Stay the course, excersize more if you can (every little bit helps) and I bet you continue to lose weight.  I did notice that the first 20 dropped quickly, the last 10 not so much.

12 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I think you're right Chris.  Thanks for the encouragement.

I've been right around 205 for the past 6 months and my body seems to like this weight.  Sometimes I'll creep up to 207 but it will come back down. I could probably lose another 10-15 lbs but it would take considerably more effort to do so.  

My 36 pants are a tad loose, I wear a Lg or sometimes Med shirt but I still have a little jiggle in the mid section.

So having said that, I told myself this weekend I'm gonna tighten up the diet and see if I can get under 200 and try to hold it there. 

15 hours ago, Dottles said:

Well it's been almost 4 weeks and I'm still down 20 pounds.  In other words, I've leveled off and stabilized.  I've gotten into a good rhythm but I need to start thinking about dropping again. I want to make another run for 20 pounds now before the holidays hit.

8 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

I am severely stuck only down 10 pounds from the peak.  Can;t seem to break the 170 barrier.  It is hard enough just maintaining. 

Seems my advice still pertains to you folks.

Tom

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after 2 years of moving into the new house, working on home projects, dropping my bike riding, quitting drinking, quitting smoking, and enjoying way too many socializing events centered around food outside the home, I have finally dropped back to the weight I was before this insanity began.  I'm down about 25 pounds and back to a weight I feel more comfortable with.  I have more to go.  Still looking back over September, I was able to lose about 5 pounds alone.  If I can keep that rate of progress up, I should be real good by this time next year.  In fact, I'll be real, real, real good.  And I've done it through diet alone.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 2