OK, this is all kinds of stupid and ridiculous and shows that vegans are not fit to make decisions..

Randomguy

WeWork takes meat off the menu as part of environmental policy drive

Natasha Lomas@riptari / 6 hours ago
 Comment
WeWork

WeWork,  the co-working startup that’s valued at ~$20 billion and has some 200,000 members across 200 locations globally plus nearly 6,000 staff of its own, will no long allow employees to expense meat. It will also no longer serve meat at company events. The policy shift is intended to reduce the business’ environmental impact.

The new internal policy was reported on Friday by Bloomberg which obtained a company memo in which co-founder Miguel McKelvey revealed the policy, writing: “New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact — even more than switching to a hybrid car.”

So Elon Musk take note.

A WeWork spokeswoman confirmed the new policy to us — which specifically removes red meat, poultry and pork from company menus and expenses policy. Though she emphasized that the company is not prohibiting WeWork staff or members from bringing in meat-based meals they’ve paid for themselves.

Members are also still free to host their own events at WeWork locations and serve meat they’ve paid for themselves. The policy only applies to food purchased (or paid for) by WeWork itself.

The spokeswoman also confirmed that fish is not covered in the meat-free initiative.

The internal memo announcing the meat-free policy is embedded below:

Global Team,

One thing that inspires me most about WeWork is our ability to effect positive change. Our team, united together, has no limit when solving any problem. That’s the Power of We.

In the past few weeks, many teams around the world have already taken action to help us become more environmentally conscious. From plastic-free events in Montreal to recycling initiatives in Hong Kong, we’re excited and humbled by how quickly our teams can make an impact.

But we know we can do more.

We have made a commitment to be a meat-free organization. Moving forward, we will not serve or pay for meat at WeWork events and want to clarify that this includes poultry and pork, as well as red meat.

New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact — even more than switching to a hybrid car. As a company, WeWork can save an estimated 16.7 billion gallons (63.1 billion liters) of water, 445.1 million pounds (201.9 million kg) of CO2 emissions, and over 15 million animals by 2023 by eliminating meat at our events.

One of our most powerful annual events is Summer Camp. Many of you have asked if we will be serving meat this year. In keeping with our commitment, we will not be serving meat at camp. This is a significant first step — and one that will have a meaningful impact. In just the three days we are together, we estimate that we can save more than 10,000 animals. The team has worked hard to create a sustainable, plentiful, and delicious menu. If you require a medical or religious accommodation, please contact our Global Policy Team.

We are energized by this opportunity to leave a better world for future generations and appreciate your partnership as we continue the journey.

For information on changes (from T&E to the Honesty Market), additional reading on the effects a meat-free diet can have on the world, or to get involved, visit our Connect page. You can also reach out to us at culture@wework.com.

The changes you are making every day will truly change the world.

Miguel

Scientists have been warning for years that the meat industry is a massive generator of greenhouses gases — although the topic often gets bypassed in mainstream environmental discussions and overlooked by corporate social responsibility policies, so it’s interesting to see WeWork stepping up to the plate (ha!) and putting its policies where its environmentally conscious soundbites are.

According to Bloomberg, the company will also exclude meat products from the self-serve food and drink kiosk systems that are present in around 400 of WeWork’s co-working buildings.

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

By their math, their 6000 employees over three days were going to consume 10,000 animals?  And that's only if all 6000 global employees were there.  How fat are these employees?

It said at "events" so there is no accurate way to determine attendance, as non WeWork animal killers might be there.

6 minutes ago, 12string said:

I would also like to know what they plan to do with the 15,000 animals they aren't going to eat now.

They own a farm???? Or just a feedlot?  I can't imagine they are actually raising and slaughtering and butchering the frogs (or whatever) themselves.  That's gotta be done by someone else.

Tom 

9 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

They own a farm???? Or just a feedlot?  I can't imagine they are actually raising and slaughtering and butchering the frogs (or whatever) themselves.  That's gotta be done by someone else.

Tom 

I think they farm that out to WeKill.  

I also want to know what they are going to do about all the non human carnivores out there, like dogs and cats and birds and fish or venus fly traps.

3 minutes ago, jsharr said:

dogs and cats and birds and fish or venus fly traps.*

JEEBUS!!!

Birds EAT fish;

Cats EAT birds;

Dogs EAT cats;

Chinese EAT dogs.

*fish are in competition with venus fly traps, but as far as I know, NOTHING eats VFTs, do they may be all that survives the apocalypse (until they starve too). 

Tom

• Heart 1

"One of our most powerful annual events is Summer Camp. Many of you have asked if we will be serving meat this year. In keeping with our commitment, we will not be serving meat at camp. This is a significant first step — and one that will have a meaningful impact. In just the three days we are together, we estimate that we can save more than 10,000 animals."

"Scientists have been warning for years that the meat industry is a massive generator of greenhouses gases — although the topic often gets bypassed in mainstream environmental discussions and overlooked by corporate social responsibility policies, so it’s interesting to see WeWork stepping up to the plate (ha!) and putting its policies where its environmentally conscious soundbites are."

...blaming cow farts for climate change, while continuing to fly and drive to meatless three day summer camps, is why I'm expanding my summer wardrobe. 

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

..., but as far as I know, NOTHING eats VFTs, do they may be all that survives the apocalypse (until they starve too). 

Tom

Venus flytraps are suitable for eating, and can be consumed though they are a protected species and there can be significant limitations on what sort of harvesting is legal.

Many animals and other creatures consume them in the wild, and humans can make palatable recipes involving them if raw plant is not to their preference. Some parts are more tasty or appropriate for eating than others.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen-if-a-human-ate-a-venus-fly-trap-plant

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

Venus flytraps are suitable for eating, and can be consumed though they are a protected species and there can be significant limitations on what sort of harvesting is legal.

Many animals and other creatures consume them in the wild, and humans can make palatable recipes involving them if raw plant is not to their preference. Some parts are more tasty or appropriate for eating than others.

https://www.quora.com/What-would-happen-if-a-human-ate-a-venus-fly-trap-plant

So you CAN eat a Venus fly trap, and it's a plant, so vegans  can eat them.  Kind of weird that a vegan can eat a carnivore......

19 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...blaming cow farts for climate change, while continuing to fly and drive to meatless three day summer camps, is why I'm expanding my summer wardrobe. 

I'd say there is and SHOULD BE an incrementalism to making things better in the world.  Maybe the first step is the one you can achieve relatively easily, and the second is a little tougher, and the third a bit harder still?  It would seem weird to me to try to transform everything in one fell swoop, so why should a company or a person be faulted or criticized for making a positive move? 

Tom

54 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'd say there is and SHOULD BE an incrementalism to making things better in the world.  Maybe the first step is the one you can achieve relatively easily, and the second is a little tougher, and the third a bit harder still?  It would seem weird to me to try to transform everything in one fell swoop, so why should a company or a person be faulted or criticized for making a positive move? 

Tom

Doesn't work.

https://www.carbontax.org/

1 minute ago, Razors Edge said:

You just want a carbon tax?  No other improvements to processes or changes to behavior?

Tom

If you haven't done a Carbon Tax, you haven't actually started.

First things first.

11 minutes ago, late said:

Still won't make a significant change...

You need an effective national policy (and a plan) and the first step is...

...not a carbon tax?????

The simplest method is "all the costs IN, all the subsidies OUT".  Then, everything is on a level playing field. With that, you can then start adding in policy +/- via the tax code or elsewhere.  All pollution has costs that are hidden and largely subsidized by the taxpayer in the US or abroad.  For example, if gas or oil's true cost was known and charged each time it was consumed, awesome vehicles like the F-150 might not be on a record setting sales pace.

But, both the carbon tax and my comments require leadership at the national level.  WeWork, like others, are choosing to do what they can, not what the can't.

Tom

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

...not a carbon tax?????

The simplest method is "all the costs IN, all the subsidies OUT".  Then, everything is on a level playing field. With that, you can then start adding in policy +/- via the tax code or elsewhere.  All pollution has costs that are hidden and largely subsidized by the taxpayer in the US or abroad.  For example, if gas or oil's true cost was known and charged each time it was consumed, awesome vehicles like the F-150 might not be on a record setting sales pace.

But, both the carbon tax and my comments require leadership at the national level.  WeWork, like others, are choosing to do what they can, not what the can't.

Tom

"If you want to change behavior, change the price."

The way to go is an incremental Carbon Tax. What you're suggesting is just a variation on that idea.

12 minutes ago, 12string said:

First step should be to get people to stop thinking recycling is so environmentally friendly.  Show people the REAL energy costs, and start encouraging people to just stop with the single use plastics altogether.

I need to do this on water.  I have used the same travel coffee mug for years.  Seldom have coffee in an disposable cup.   My work place is big violator in this area.  Fridge full of single use cans and bottles.

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Tom

...it would be as easy, and probably more effective to cancel the summer camp and arrange it as a three day teleconferencing event. Everyone can stay home and eat whatever they want to eat.

I can't give you the numbers, but balance the cow farts saved by the meatless menu versus the jet fuel and gasoline burned in transporting all those bodies.

4 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...it would be as easy, and probably more effective to cancel the summer camp and arrange it as a three day teleconferencing event. Everyone can stay home and eat whatever they want to eat.

I can't give you the numbers, but balance the cow farts saved by the meatless menu versus the jet fuel and gasoline burned in transporting all those bodies.

There is a whole supply chain that leads to and then moves beyond your wildly odd fixation on cow farts.  I think you might want to look beyond cow farts to their (WeWork) actual intention. Or stick to cow farts, because that is fun too.

Tom  

1 hour ago, 12string said:

First step should be to get people to stop thinking recycling is so environmentally friendly.  Show people the REAL energy costs, and start encouraging people to just stop with the single use plastics altogether.

This seems like an incredibly "simple" idea that doesn't seem readily available.  What is the energy cost (which is only one cost variable) of a single use 12oz glass, aluminum, and plastic container. Likewise, what is the cost of the more "permanent" options - ceramic mug, aluminum tumbler, Nalgene bottle, glass growler, etc..

Tom 

1 hour ago, late said:

"If you want to change behavior, change the price."

The way to go is an incremental Carbon Tax. What you're suggesting is just a variation on that idea.

"If you want to change behavior, change the price." is the second step in my comment.  The first is to determine (and charge) the actual price - with no incentives (rebates, tax break, indirect actions) and no extra costs (taxes, tariffs, regulations).  Then, that's the starting point. If gas is all of a sudden $15 a gallon, it changes EVERYTHING. If gas is suddenly $1 a gallon, it changes EVERYTHING DIFFERENTLY. 

At that point, folks need to decide if the environment is important. Or is the steel industry important. Or what about the tourism industry? Or financial markets? Or healthcare - the business of or the individual level.  That's where "change the cost" comes in by creating winners and losers.

Carbon tax is part of that second tier to a system that has not resolved the first tier.  Over 100 years of US (and don't forget international) tax law, regulations, etc, as well as prior cultural decisions makes it so it is still highly likely that if you added a carbon tax to oil (and derivatives), it may still be WILDLY less expensive than its actual cost to humanity.

Tom

3 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

"If you want to change behavior, change the price." is the second step in my comment.  The first is to determine (and charge) the actual price - with no incentives (rebates, tax break, indirect actions) and no extra costs (taxes, tariffs, regulations).  Then, that's the starting point. If gas is all of a sudden $15 a gallon, it changes EVERYTHING. If gas is suddenly $1 a gallon, it changes EVERYTHING DIFFERENTLY. 

At that point, folks need to decide if the environment is important. Or is the steel industry important. Or what about the tourism industry? Or financial markets? Or healthcare - the business of or the individual level.  That's where "change the cost" comes in by creating winners and losers.

Carbon tax is part of that second tier to a system that has not resolved the first tier.  Over 100 years of US (and don't forget international) tax law, regulations, etc, as well as prior cultural decisions makes it so it is still highly likely that if you added a carbon tax to oil (and derivatives), it may still be WILDLY less expensive than its actual cost to humanity.

Tom

That's economic suicide.

An incrementing tax would give the economy a chance to adjust. Add about 15-20 cents a year.

11 minutes ago, late said:

That's economic suicide.

An incrementing tax would give the economy a chance to adjust. Add about 15-20 cents a year.

:D

Yeah, it ain't like we're suddenly gonna wake up and give a sheot as a society (or a race).  

A carbon tax really only addresses energy (like pollution or climate change) while hitting across the economy as a whole.  My similarly unlikely approach hits at all out of whack costs - from energy (and pollution), to college tuition, to healthcare & drugs, to groceries, and basic labor rates.

Tom

48 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

This seems like an incredibly "simple" idea that doesn't seem readily available.  What is the energy cost (which is only one cost variable) of a single use 12oz glass, aluminum, and plastic container. Likewise, what is the cost of the more "permanent" options - ceramic mug, aluminum tumbler, Nalgene bottle, glass growler, etc..

Tom 

If it was readily available, I would have posted it.  But that's my point, MAKE it readily available, publicize it.

Recycling alone - collection, transportation, sorting, shredding, even subtracting the minimal lower energy required to re-melt - would easily overcome the cost of a SS bottle.  Now add in making it in the first place, transportation of millions of cases versus pumping more water through existing systems.

Not just plastic water bottles, how about shopping bags - paper OR plastic,  drinking straws, my Amazon order coming in 3 double sized boxes, styrofoam anything, receipts for my coffee purchase... so many easy targets.

I got a statement from my credit card company this week.  8 pages, 1 of which had anything close to useful information.  But 1/4 of the first page was thanking me for all the energy I saved by having chosen paperless statements.

3 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

There is a whole supply chain that leads to and then moves beyond your wildly odd fixation on cow farts.  I think you might want to look beyond cow farts to their (WeWork) actual intention. Or stick to cow farts, because that is fun too.

Tom  

...that's the same food supply chain that moves the vegetables they want to sub for cow fart food.  Logically it's a wash on the supply chain, unless you think it produces less emissions in terms of fossil fuels to grow and transport carrots than it does cows, chickens, and pigs. (Hint from a big agricultural state...tomatoes do not walk to the processing plant. Not making this up.  They're riding on the interstates here right now.)

“New research indicates that avoiding meat is one of the biggest things an individual can do to reduce their personal environmental impact — even more than switching to a hybrid car.”

Show me the numbers.  I know methane is more immediately powerful as a global warming gas, but it is less long lived, and ought to be more easily mitigated with some pretty basic technology.

Landfills, natural gas fracking and production, cows....all produce methane.  I'm not confident that some guys going Vegan is gonna give me cooler summers in the longer run. This is just today's "Let's recycle and save the planet".  It's bad science compounded with poor logical thought process.

Once more, it seems pretty obvious that this "bidness model" has seized upon the popular issue of today, and is missing the bigger picture, or they would not be taking all their kids to camp.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This thread is dedicated to all the asshats who want P&R to go away so they can have a better forum without all that political crap and all those nasty unwashed posters who belong elsewhere.

...no politics in food choices, man.  I just can't see it. :)

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

This thread is dedicated to all the asshats who want P&R to go away so they can have a better forum without all that political crap and all those nasty unwashed posters who belong elsewhere.

What about us run of the mill asshats who don't give an ass or a hat about P&R as far as this place is concerned?

• Heart 1
  • Whatever 1

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

you are not looking hard enough then.

http://time.com/4400706/republican-democrat-foods/

What kind of an asshole would willingly order a veggie burger over a real burger?  I can kind of see if you order a medium to well done burger, at that point it is all the same anyway.  For everyone else, though, nobody but someone either impaired or someone trying to lose weight while sacrificing nutrition would do that.

It says that my diet is 53% republican, and that jsharrt should fuck off.  That seemed mean, but that is what it said.

• Heart 1