When heat is a matter of perspective

shootingstar

We're getting heat warnings to stay safe.  31 degrees C...with probably medium humidity. Not horrible humidity.

After living 40+ yrs. of humid summers in southern Ontario, I find prairie heat in Alberta,, still hot, sun just very powerful (probably less smog) but not as horrible.  Our problem is to me, lack of tree cover in huge swaths of the city where there are parks..but not enough trees.

Isn't heat always a matter of perspective?  31 c really isn't that hot for the southern states of the US and for people in AZ or TX is actually very reasonable.  People in Northern Climates consider that warm.

Kinda like @petitepedal feeling the heat when it's 90 @ humid which isn't out of the norm for us.  But  If she was in SoCal in winter she'd be in shorts & T while I'd be wearing long pants and a jacket with 65 degree temps.

So 31C is 88F.  Is 31 really considered heat warning in your area?

We stay over 100F / 38C for days at at time, sometimes weeks at a time in Texas.  

I am not sure that anyone here,with here being Dallas, Texas and anyone being a native Dallasite, would consider 88 hot, or heat warning area.

33 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How come your desk does not have streamers?  At the very least, you could wave a streamer when you raise your hand, no?

Clearly that's just a graphic representation and not the real me, because it's yellow - not green.

• Haha 1
  • Envious 1

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

We're getting heat warnings to stay safe.  31 degrees C...with probably medium humidity. Not horrible humidity.

After living 40+ yrs. of humid summers in southern Ontario, I find prairie heat in Alberta,, still hot, sun just very powerful (probably less smog) but not as horrible.  Our problem is to me, lack of tree cover in huge swaths of the city where there are parks..but not enough trees.

I find that shade - from trees or buildings - makes unbearable heat relatively bearable. Add a little bit of a breeze, and 100*F and high humidity is not as awful as one would think.

I often ride during days where the heat index exceeds 100, and find sunscreen, some tree coverage, steady movement (a self-created breeze), and lots of water make it "no big deal". 

On my lunch walks, I immediately head to the side of the street that has shade from the buildings.  It makes a gigantic difference. 

I remember being in Vegas by the pool in July, and moving our lounge chairs with the building's shadow.  In the shadow, the dry heat (100+) was fine - especially if you jumped in the pool - but if you walked into the sun, it was like your skin was crackling.  Totally insane.

Tom

Uncomfortable and dangerous are different things. You can be uncomfortable but well hydrated & press on forever.  Get behind on the water & press on can put you in a world of hurt. If you start in less than good shape you can end up on thin ice pretty quick.

If you're an 82 year old sitting in a 105 degree apartment for hours on end there may be some real danger. 

15 minutes ago, Further said:

Uncomfortable and dangerous are different things. You can be uncomfortable but well hydrated & press on forever.  Get behind on the water & press on can put you in a world of hurt. If you start in less than good shape you can end up on thin ice pretty quick.

If you're an 82 year old sitting in a 105 degree apartment for hours on end there may be some real danger. 

Yep

8 hours ago, jsharr said:

So 31C is 88F.  Is 31 really considered heat warning in your area?

We stay over 100F / 38C for days at at time, sometimes weeks at a time in Texas.  

I am not sure that anyone here,with here being Dallas, Texas and anyone being a native Dallasite, would consider 88 hot, or heat warning area.

I guess we're whimps….when we also deal with winters where at least 1-4 days annually, it's -35 to -40 C degrees.  Yes, the heating warning was issued to all employees in our organization....since we have several thousand ouside workers.

• Heart 1

31C is 88F.  That's cool enough for me to do yard work, even in severely humid Baltimore.

In July, 1999, the my tour group was outside of the Temple of Hatshepsut near the Valley of the Kings and Luxor, Egypt when someone in the group asked me what 50 C was in Fahrenheit.  Since it's 9/5 x C + 32 = F, I could do 50 C easily in my head (90 + 32) and replied, "122 degrees F, why do you ask?"

"Because," he replied, "50 C is what that thermometer in the shade over there says!"

With very low humidity in the Sahara Desert, it wasn't so bad even with the Sun virtually straight up in the sky.  So it's not just heat that's a matter of perspective, it's heat + humidity!

2 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I wondered why you wouldn't consider living ie. Spokane or Leavenworth later in life. (vs. ie. Idaho).

I lived in Spokane and haven't ruled it out but that place is deteriorating from what I hear. Leavenworth would be cool as I have a friend who's parents live there. But not so sure it's far enough and still in crappy taxes. But you never know. We may land here yet.

17 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I lived in Spokane and haven't ruled it out but that place is deteriorating from what I hear. Leavenworth would be cool as I have a friend who's parents live there. But not so sure it's far enough and still in crappy taxes. But you never know. We may land here yet.

Leavenworth is quite small....one should consider being within reasonable commuting distance from a major hospital.  We ejoyed the faux German Bavarian atmosphere there.  Of course, it's for the tourists year-round.  We went there in the winter which was nice after snowshoeing during the day.

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Leavenworth is quite small....one should consider being within reasonable commuting distance from a major hospital.  We ejoyed the faux German Bavarian atmosphere there.  Of course, it's for the tourists year-round.  We went there in the winter which was nice after snowshoeing during the day.

Northern Idaho panhandle is not bad. Housing isn't all that much cheaper though in greater Couer d'Alane. You have to go into Silver Valley and that's got documented problems.

My partner loved cycling the bike trail which is over 100 km. in Couer d'Alene.  One doesn't hear about Idaho in Canada in the news  -- at all.  When living in southern Ontario, I knew no one who vacationed in Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas nor Washington state.  There are huge swaths of the U.S. most Canadians I've met in southern Ontario, wouldn't even think of immediately as a vacation spot.   But it's natural and easy for them to know/go to Michigan, New York, maybe Minnesota or New England states.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

My partner loved cycling the bike trail which is over 100 km. in Couer d'Alene.  One doesn't hear about Idaho in Canada in the news  -- at all.  When living in southern Ontario, I knew no one who vacationed in Montana, Idaho, the Dakotas nor Washington state.  There are huge swaths of the U.S. most Canadians I've met in southern Ontario, wouldn't even think of immediately as a vacation spot.   But it's natural and easy for them to know/go to Michigan, New York, maybe Minnesota or New England states.

I have vacationed or been to all those places you mentioned. Let me know if you need any insight or just want a second opinion