You'll Never Guess What Happened this Time

Kirby

HA! It's not a closet.  But there is an old light fixture in the kitchen that was left there by the prior owner.  It has 3 separate light sockets and a ceiling fan.  One of the outlets has always been a bit dodgey with the light sometimes flickering.  Finally, a year ago, I got a light bulb that stayed on.  That light bulb finally burned out today, and I couldn't get it out.  When I kept pushing it, the whole fixture started shaking which made me a bit nervous.  After quite some time, I finally got the bulb out which made me very happy.  I put in a new bulb and it lit right up, which made me even happier.  But 10 minutes later when I turned on the light again, that bulb didn't work.  I've tried almost every light bulb in the house, and although some with go on briefly, they don't stay on.

I may have to finally call someone to look at this because it annoys me more than it should

• Heart 3
  • Awesome 1

...does it have separate switches for the fan and the lights ?  Just use that as your summer cool room, and sit there with the fan on and the lights off. You're welcome.

In the wintertime, you can get by with just two bulbs in that thing. If you replace them with LED bulbs you can up the illumination anyway. :)

• Heart 1

I say you buck up and pay a qualified electrician. Those folks need loving too. Or you can buy basic troubleshooting tools to determine exactly what's wrong. It's possible you may have reverse polarity somewhere or something simple. Most smaller things are easy to fix but I had to route 3 new circuits in my home and install a new fan for the cheap price of $4k. It's a rip off but then again it was worth every dollar. I no longer have a worry about brown outs and my house burning down. 

...what usually happens with those fan/light combo thingies is that they use cheap sockets to make them, so the sockets go bad.

The other common problem is that because sometimes you have to use extra force screwing the bulbs in and out, the socket twists and it frazzles the wired connection at the socket end. 

If you are unsure of your understanding of the migration of holes through the metallic substrate interfaces of your electron transfer device and do not have a complete knowledge of the covalent bonds involved in the materials involved you may initiate a thermal transfer problem that generates more collisions within the crystal lattice, increasing the resistance and further accelerating the thermal transfer until a conflagration occurs.

Welcome to the Black Pearl Ms. Turner.

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, Dottles said:

I say you buck up and pay a qualified electrician. Those folks need loving too.

That's my plan, but from prior experience most of the local guys aren't that interested in small service calls like this, but I'll see if anyone returns my calls this morning.

10 minutes ago, Kirby said:

That's my plan, but from prior experience most of the local guys aren't that interested in small service calls like this, but I'll see if anyone returns my calls this morning.

the youtubes are your friends.  Think of the feeling of accomplishment that you will have when you install your new ceiling fan!

• Heart 1

First, I am glad that the stuck bulb didn't break away at the glass and you had to fish the socket out with needle nose pliers. With the intermittent lighting on that socket, it sound like some contact In the wiring. To make sure the bulb wasn't blown after the first 10 minutes, try it in another fixture...but probably is OK as assume it didn't blow the other bulbs you tried that lit briefly. Assuming you want the fan, it may be cheaper to put a new fan in than call an electrician.  A fan install is fairly straightforward and usually come with decent instructions on wiring. Perhaps the hardest part is lifting and holding while splicing the wires.  New fans will typically be quieter.  If it is a relatively new or decent fan, may be able to find a new lighting module to put on the fan. When changing fan or lighting module, always make sure the power is off for that circuit.

53 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

First, I am glad that the stuck bulb didn't break away at the glass and you had to fish the socket out with needle nose pliers.

A potato works pretty well also for removing the base of a bulb if the glass breaks. Just make double sure that the power is off first.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Parr8hed said:

the youtubes are your friends.  Think of the feeling of accomplishment that you will have when you install your new ceiling fan!

I'll try a lot of things, but I leave anything electric related to the pros.  If I make a mistake with the closet, it just falls down again - it doesn't burn the house down.

12 minutes ago, Kirby said:

I'll try a lot of things, but I leave anything electric related to the pros.  If I make a mistake with the closet, it just falls down again - it doesn't burn the house down.

It's really pretty simple.  Shut off power.  Black to black, white to white, ground.  With modern circuit breakers, the you tubes and of course us here to help you I give your chances of burning the house down approx 7.43 percent.  

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

It's really pretty simple.  Shut off power.  Black to black, white to white, ground.  With modern circuit breakers, the you tubes and of course us here to help you I give your chances of burning the house down approx 7.43 percent.  

Solid advice above.  I would add one thing. The problem that many amatuer home repair people make is not listening to relaxing music while doing the work.

Here is a nice tune you can work along with.

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

...OTOH, if you burn down the house, the closet problems go away. :)

• Haha 4

5 hours ago, Kirby said:

This statement is 100% correct.  If it's not a big job -- then you'll be lucky to get a bid out.  I was sorta forced to take the $4K bid because only 1 of the remaining 5 guys I contacted even bothered and even then I had one guy bump me because he got a better deal.  So not only are electricians on the high end -- they're in demand and they have the luxury of turn their nose up at as.

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

You can't go the candle route, if you run the fan the lights will not work.  

replacing the fixture is a 10 minute job.

Maybe a little more than 10 minutes.  Overall it might be just a few screws and a few wire nuts but probably more than 10 minutes.  Remember the new fan fixture will need to be assembled.

I agree it's not a huge undertaking.

Totally not surprised, the electrician didn't call me today like he said he would.  I'll call again tomorrow.  It's not any emergency, but things are quiet at work, so it's a good time to "work from home" for a day while I wait for the electrician.  Tomorrow would have been a good day to work from home - with my luck he'll come on a Tour de France rest day.

The electrician called me back tonight.  He said he tried to call today and mentioned a time which was the 3 minute period of the day I had my phone turned off to reset it.  But he's supposed to be coming tomorrow.  He told me the easiest thing would likely be to just replace the lighting portion of the fan, and that I should go to home depot and get one and he could come next week. Since I just want this done (and frankly I'd have no clue what to look for at Home Depot), I sent him a pic of what the light looked like and he's going to pick up something a little less ugly than the one I have now and bring it tomorrow (supposedly)  Stay tuned.

...if you don't need the lights (have other light in the room), you can usually just remove the lighting portion and cap off the box that's exposed.

OTOH, if you never use the fan, now is a good time to just buy a ceiling light fixture and have this guy install it.

• Heart 1

The electrician and come and gone and I have a new lighting element attached to the fan. All the lights are working, and they even installed matching LED light bulbs. :skipping:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just when I thought I was all done, I got a call this morning from a voice that sounded familiar saying "Steve put his back out, is it ok if he comes on Monday?"  I was curious, so I asked who was calling and they said "oh sorry, it's the electrician".  I reminded them that they had come already and that my work was all done.  But  I did add that I felt bad for Steve.  They apologized and said they must have called the wrong person.  Now I wonder who will be waiting for Steve all day and just be disappointed.

1 minute ago, Kirby said:

Just when I thought I was all done, I got a call this morning from a voice that sounded familiar saying "Steve put his back out, is it ok if he comes on Monday?"  I was curious, so I asked who was calling and they said "oh sorry, it's the electrician".  I reminded them that they had come already and that my work was all done.  But  I did add that I felt bad for Steve.  They apologized and said they must have called the wrong person.  Now I wonder who will be waiting for Steve all day and just be disappointed.

How did he put his back out when all he did at your place was light work?

4 minutes ago, jsharr said:

How did he put his back out when all he did at your place was light work?

It must have been some other job, since the guy at my house wasn't injured and I don't think he was named Steve either. 

On 7/19/2018 at 4:38 PM, maddmaxx said:

I had a "last forever" led bulb burn out the other day.  It had about a year on it.

"Saaaayyyyy, womaxx, do we have the receipt or the packaging or the brand name or any idea where we bought this bulb"?

"No?"

"Golly darn".

I have four one-bulb pull-chain ceiling lights in my basement. One is in a storage corner that's rarely used. That bulb is a 60W incandescent bulb that's probably 20 years old and still works.

The others are 11W CFL's that have all been replaced at least once.