Saharan dust has invaded Dallas

jsharr

Everything is dusty and it looks like yellow smoke or smog outside.  My eyes are watering, my nose is running and my throat hurts.

I will post a pic from the office window that shows the dust.  The local news used the song Africa by Toto as a lead in on their dust story this am.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Another-Round-of-Saharan-Dust-Headed-to-Texas-488142261.html

We don't get Saharan Dust here in Maryland. Our southern visit is liquid rather than air and dust. We get the Gulf Stream off the coast.  It's much closer to shore at the end of Summer/beginning of Fall and the water at Ocean City, Maryland is actually warmer in September than it is in July.

12 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

We don't get Saharan Dust here in Maryland. Our southern visit is liquid rather than air and dust. We get the Gulf Stream off the coast.  It's much closer to shore at the end of Summer/beginning of Fall and the water at Ocean City, Maryland is actually warmer in September than it is in July.

I'm going there for my vacation in September.  Hope it is nice and sunny. Or a Cat 3 Hurricane would be something I never forget.  Though they would probably evacuate the barrier Island. and make us go to Salisbury.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Everything is dusty and it looks like yellow smoke or smog outside.  My eyes are watering, my nose is running and my throat hurts.

I will post a pic from the office window that shows the dust.  The local news used the song Africa by Toto as a lead in on their dust story this am.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/weather/stories/Another-Round-of-Saharan-Dust-Headed-to-Texas-488142261.html

The worse allergy attack I ever had was in AZ for spring training and a dust storm hit.  I literally left a spring training game to find a pharmacy for allergy pills. 

That dust is brutal.

I know you folks swear by your climates and I know 95% of the time you don't have to deal with this.  But I honestly could never live in a climate like this.  Texas?  Sorry.  Southern Cal?  Sorry.  Arizona?  Sorry.  Nevada?  Nope. Central Washington?  Nope.  If a place can even potentially have tumbleweeds... those weeds are going to have to tumble on their own.  I won't be there to witness it.

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I know you folks swear by your climates and I know 95% of the time you don't have to deal with this.  But I honestly could never live in a climate like this.  Texas?  Sorry.  Southern Cal?  Sorry.  Arizona?  Sorry.  Nevada?  Nope. Central Washington?  Nope.  If a place can even potentially have tumbleweeds... those weeds are going to have to tumble on their own.  I won't be there to witness it.

You over generalize SoCal though.  It ranges from cool coastal regions like I live in to the Mohave Dessert.  Our congestion and home prices in the coastal regions indicate a lot of people find it desirable.

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Texas sucks so bad we have to lie and tell everyone how great it is.  We have hurricanes, hail, tornadoes, ice storms, deadly heat, some of the worst drivers in the world, the Dallas Cowboys, the Texas Ranges, the Texas Longhorns and dust storms.   

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Texas sucks so bad we have to lie and tell everyone how great it is.  We have hurricanes, hail, tornadoes, ice storms, deadly heat, some of the worst drivers in the world, the Dallas Cowboys, the Texas Ranges, the Texas Longhorns and dust storms.   

I am not biting. Besides, I understand your women dress up to go to the supermarket.

19 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

You over generalize SoCal though.  It ranges from cool coastal regions like I live in to the Mohave Dessert.  Our congestion and home prices in the coastal regions indicate a lot of people find it desirable.

Of course I am. But I can't afford your coastline's nor do I like your congestion. :)

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I'm going there for my vacation in September.  Hope it is nice and sunny. Or a Cat 3 Hurricane would be something I never forget.  Though they would probably evacuate the barrier Island. and make us go to Salisbury.

When I was in college a bunch of us went to Ocean City and a hurricane hit while we were there.  We foolishly went out in it and challenged each other to see who could lean over the most, facing the wind, without falling on our faces.  Our bodies were making something like a 30 degree angle with the ground or less with the wind holding us up!  I wish we had taken a photo of it.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I was in college a bunch of us went to Ocean City and a hurricane hit while we were there.  We foolishly went out in it and challenged each other to see who could lean over the most, facing the wind, without falling on our faces.  Our bodies were making something like a 30 degree angle with the ground or less with the wind holding us up!  I wish we had taken a photo of it.

Foolish definitely unless you like 2x4s and bathtubs to the face. But you're a guy so it's understood. ?

10 hours ago, jsharr said:

Clearly you're there because you/someone in family has a job.

Would you consider moving to another state after career is over?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, jsharr said:

29 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

But he is right about his Cowboys. 

16 hours ago, Dottles said:

Is that why eastern Montana is so sparsely populated, or is it just our personalities?

• Heart 1

16 hours ago, ChrisL said:

And a lot find these characteristics very undesirable. ?

• Heart 1

6 hours ago, shootingstar said:

I've known Texans to pass up good promotions if it entailed moving out of State.  I was even related to some of these folks.  Needless to say, some find my life a bit abnormal.?

• Heart 2

18 hours ago, jsharr said:

I thought Saharan Dust was a new Dallas basketball  or soccer team. 

2 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

I've known Texans to pass up good promotions if it entailed moving out of State.  I was even related to some of these folks.  Needless to say, some find my life a bit abnormal.?

A Canadian left Texas with his young family after being there for only 1 year and returned to our employer.  He graduated from university in Texas, loved it....but discovered how much the politics/area had changed since probably 20 years ago.  

8 hours ago, shootingstar said:

My family came to Texas in the 1840s.  I love Texas.  I would move if my family depended on it.  I just like to give people a hard time, including myself.

7 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

4 hours ago, jsharr said:

My family came to Texas in the 1840s.  I love Texas.  I would move if my family depended on it.  I just like to give people a hard time, including myself.

Speaking of which, I have a native Texan coming over to my house tonight, I'm going out to dinner with him and his family (yeah, I'm going to have a steak but have 'em cook it medium and not medium rare -- because I'm a man not animal), and I'm going to loan one of my bikes to him for the next ten days. He's a native Texan and thinking about getting out because of it's ultra conservatism.  

Hey, I've never had problem with the people, but that may be because I am one of them.:whistle:

I don't let the conservatives bother me much, whether we are in Texas or Montana. I was visiting with a fellow at the coffee shop the other day that has bought photos and greeting cards from me.  He indicated he did not know a fellow that had died recently.  I told him no wonder, as you voted for Trump and did not attend meetings that were held to stop the Tongue River Railroad, but if you had voted differently and attended the meeting you would have known him, as he was very active on the environmental front.  He just smiled and shrugged his shoulders.  We are still friends. Others I just avoid, just like changing channels on the tv.  I am not into abusing myself. 

• Heart 2

15 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Speaking of which, I have a native Texan coming over to my house tonight, I'm going out to dinner with him and his family (yeah, I'm going to have a steak but have 'em cook it medium and not medium rare -- because I'm a man not animal), and I'm going to loan one of my bikes to him for the next ten days. He's a native Texan and thinking about getting out because of it's ultra conservatism.  

What part of Austin is this hippie from? Also, sounds like you would be better off taking him out for middle eastern or Mediterranean cuisine.

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

What part of Austin is this hippie from? Also, sounds like you would be better off taking him out for middle eastern or Mediterranean cuisine.

He's from the big D buddy. I'm pretty sure you know him but I'm not naming names.  Why Middle Eastern or Mediterranean?  I understand you have good Chinese restaurants there.  

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

He's from the big D buddy. I'm pretty sure you know him but I'm not naming names.  Why Middle Eastern or Mediterranean?  I understand you have good Chinese restaurants there.  

If i know him, PM me.  Sushi is a big player in Big D.  

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Sushi is a big player in Big D.  

Reads like Seattle.  Anything Asian is going to work well here. I used to be a meat and potatoes guy growing up but then discovered Asian food and spice.  I've a big fan now.  I realized I lived in an area that had such a great Asian influence, I should be out there taking advantage of it.  That was 20 years ago.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Is that why eastern Montana is so sparsely populated, or is it just our personalities?

I could do it.  I think though that I'd need to be in a tumbleweed place with immediate access to the forests like Boise or Leavenworth, Yakima, Bend, or other.  I think the plains out in MT would be too harsh and desolate for a wimp like me.

6 hours ago, jsharr said:

I believe my family beat yours by about a decade. My mom was born in Dallas until her father moved around with the oil business. We still have family in El Paso. And your flag originated from her family.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I believe my family beat yours by about a decade. My mom was born in Dallas until her father moved around with the oil business. We still have family in El Paso. And your flag originated from her family.

Did you just usurp jsharr??  Oh my.  That's gotta sting.  I'm curious how it takes this.  Oh wait.  I see he liked it.  Paying homage.  

4 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Did you just usurp jsharr??  Oh my.  That's gotta sting.  I'm curious how it takes this.  Oh wait.  I see he liked it.  Paying homage.  

The sharr clan has a history of quitting.  the first sharr came to Murica after he was forced into the British army.  He quit (deserted) and fought for the upstart rebels and then moved from NY to Ohio to Texas and became a Methodist preacher somewhere along the way.  He quit being a Texican to go west and cheat people out of gold.  Not sure how we got back to the area, but in the late 1890s we were back and that sharr married an indian woman and ran a boarding house in Indian territory prior to working for the railroad and moving to Denison, Texas.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, jsharr said:

The sharr clan has a history of quitting.  the first sharr came to Murica after he was forced into the British army.  He quit (deserted) and fought for the upstart rebels and then moved from NY to Ohio to Texas and became a Methodist preacher somewhere along the way.  He quit being a Texican to go west and cheat people out of gold.  Not sure how we got back to the area, but in the late 1890s we were back and that sharr married an indian woman and ran a boarding house in Indian territory prior to working for the railroad and moving to Denison, Texas.

You're warming up to me.

• Heart 1