Damn

maddmaxx

My doctor and I have finally formulated a plan for putting my blood pressure back in it's cage (it escaped).  We were going to double my dose of Valsartin from 80mg per day to 160 mg per day.  Upon arriving at my pharmacy I was informed that they were in the process of calling the doctor back because Valsartin has been recalled by the FDA.

A bit of research shows that the FDA has detected the possibility of a cancer causing agent in Valsartin probably introduced from a manufacturing change in 2012 .  I am so fn thrilled.  My drug companies sell me drugs made in China by potential lying criminals.

I read about the recall.  My BP med has "sartan" in the name but it is Olmesartan.  It does not appear to be part of the recall and has even been named as a possible alternative to Valsartan.

I think the Russians are as much to blame as the Chinese, but I only think that so that I can post this image.

Image result for putin on the ritz

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, groupw said:

Questions for you on meds. I have been trying to lower my BP, but part of it is genetic and part of it is the stress from work. What have you seen as side effects from the meds? Any that affect cycling and other activities?

I was going to write a whole thing but I found this page that does it better.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007484.htm

Pay particular attention to the lack of energy part and the cough.  On the other hand, high blood pressure will inhibit getting enough oxygen to your cells so perhaps the improvements balance out the negatives.

Most importantly, find a doctor who understands your needs and desires and will discuss these things with you and come to a decision that you both like.

• Heart 1

35 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

It seems that a chinese subconractor got a deal on some poo overflow dredged out of someone's basement and decided to substitute that to bump up profits.  It came cheap, just the price of a new floor.

I am not sure if it is the poo overflow or all the dried up spilled Coors Light that got dissolved by the poo water that is the carcinogen.

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

My former doctor and I have finally formulated a plan for putting my blood pressure back in it's cage (it escaped).  We were going to double my dose of Valsartin from 80mg per day to 160 mg per day.  Upon arriving at my pharmacy I was informed that they were in the process of calling the doctor back because Valsartin has been recalled by the FDA.

A bit of research shows that the FDA has detected the possibility of a cancer causing agent in Valsartin probably introduced from a manufacturing change in 2012 .  I am so fn thrilled.  My drug companies sell me drugs made in China by potential lying criminals.

FIFY.

Tom

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

No, she's a good doc.  This recall was announced within the last few days.  

It is amazing, though, that a doctor will not stay abreast of the status of drugs they prescribe.  To leave it in the hands of the pharmacy is NOT a good idea. The pharmacist ought to be the LAST line of defense, not the primary one :(

Could you just switch to the branded version versus the generic?  And are you gonna join the class action lawsuit?

Tom

14 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

It is amazing, though, that a doctor will not stay abreast of the status of drugs they prescribe.  To leave it in the hands of the pharmacy is NOT a good idea. The pharmacist ought to be the LAST line of defense, not the primary one :(

Could you just switch to the branded version versus the generic?  And are you gonna join the class action lawsuit?

Tom

Do you understand that she made the prescription change 2 days ago and when I went to pick it up today it had just been recalled.  What are you some sort of knee jerk responder sue sue sue.

How many patients and how many drugs do you think she has dealt with in the last 48 hours?

Geez edgy, I can understand why there's a thread about you in the other part of the forum.

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I was going to write a whole thing but I found this page that does it better.

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/article/007484.htm

Pay particular attention to the lack of energy part and the cough.  On the other hand, high blood pressure will inhibit getting enough oxygen to your cells so perhaps the improvements balance out the negatives.

Most importantly, find a doctor who understands your needs and desires and will discuss these things with you and come to a decision that you both like.

Thanks! That helps!

46 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Do you understand that she made the prescription change 2 days ago and when I went to pick it up today it had just been recalled.  What are you some sort of knee jerk responder sue sue sue.

How many patients and how many drugs do you think she has dealt with in the last 48 hours?

Geez edgy, I can understand why there's a thread about you in the other part of the forum.

The class action is for the past 6 years you have been potentially poisoned, not the past day or so.  :D

So, your doctor's appointment was before or after the recall?  That seems a little cloudy. But hey, it is your health, not mine.  I will stand by my belief that a doctor should know what they are prescribing, the side effects, and any other relevant pro/con to that drug.  If you think that's a reason to hate on me, we meet on Tuesday to discuss it.

Tom

Prescription was issued two days ago.  To the best of my knowledge the official recall by the FDA (on their website) was on the 13th and it hit the news last night 21 hours ago.  I can't fault her for catching up as she was on vacation last week and we did the dosage change monday morning on the phone.

The recall states that until each patient can get a replacement med that they should continue to take Valsartan as the benefits for most far outweigh the potential risk.

Henceforth ye shall be known as shoot from the hip edgy.  In another place and time I'd name you Abe.

14 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

My doctor and I have finally formulated a plan for putting my blood pressure back in it's cage (it escaped).  We were going to double my dose of Valsartin from 80mg per day to 160 mg per day.  Upon arriving at my pharmacy I was informed that they were in the process of calling the doctor back because Valsartin has been recalled by the FDA.

I'm sorry to read this.  My father suffers from high BP too and I have no doubt in time I may face the same wrath.    His father died of it so -- just waiting for it to hit.  

3 hours ago, Dottles said:

I'm sorry to read this.  My father suffers from high BP too and I have no doubt in time I may face the same wrath.    His father died of it so -- just waiting for it to hit.  

Taking care of medical issues as one gets older is simply a fact of life.  In generations past this might not have been a problem because one would be dead.

My dad died of high blood pressure complications when he was 55.

I am at this point the oldest surviving member of my family.