Wilbur wanted an airplane

maddmaxx

1 hour ago, Mr. Silly said:

Nice model.  Used to love making model planes as a teen.  I always thought the German planes were cooler.

Did you paint it too?

Yes.  Custom mixed colors of Acrylic Paint, mostly of the Tamiya brand applied with an airbrush.  The weathering effect is also acrylic, applied after the mat finish coat dries.  Some small amount of the staining (reference the bluish stain over the turbine section of the engine) is done with powdered chalk after which no handling is allowed.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yes.  Custom mixed colors of Acrylic Paint, mostly of the Tamiya brand applied with an airbrush.  The weathering effect is also acrylic, applied after the mat finish coat dries.  Some small amount of the staining (reference the bluish stain over the turbine section of the engine) is done with powdered chalk after which no handling is allowed.

I like the blueing ont the engine.  

For budget reasons as a kid, I didn't have an airbrush.  I used Testors; spray paints for large areas and a brush for details.  I used to stain engines by painting them silver, letting it dry then going over it lightly with black using a brush and wiping it off. 

I always struggled to get this camo scheme on the Spitfire.

98cf681849b8ea87124a92cb554f4d94--corgis 

I see there are templates for it now.

3 hours ago, JerrySTL said:

Looks like a Jumo engine.

By "low strategic materials" do you mean wood fuselage and wings?

Wood nose cone.  Wood covered wings and wartime hasty construction killed more than one pilot when the wing skin came off.  Metal fuselage and horizontal tail to protect from exhaust heat.

Not a Jumo but rather a BMW, available because it wasn't in demand for the other jets.