I just had a crown come off. What do I do?

Randomguy

I've had that happen multiple times.  Just put it in a plastic bag and call the dentist.  I hope you didn't swallow it.  I had one come off while I was chewing cake in a car -- cake of all things -- and thought it was something that dropped in the cake at baking time so I spit it and everything out the window.  Then we drove down the road and I realized that was a post my tongue was feeling.  We drove back and I'm searching the streets of Tweekerville looking for my crown.  Lucky I found it because that would have cost $2K out of pocket.

1 minute ago, Mr. Silly said:

I agree with the Reverend, don't use Superglue, Gorilla Glue is much better.

You could wimp out if you want and go to the dentist.  You're not a wimp, are you?

That is King Wimp of Wimpyland to you.  Now bow before your king

1 hour ago, jsharr said:

That is King Wimp of Wimpyland to you.  Now bow before your king

Well, that would explain the crown.

Ignore all the advice about glue, that will just totally mess up your hair.  Just attach a little elastic strap to the crown that you can stretch under your chin.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, 12string said:

Well, that would explain the crown.

Ignore all the advice about glue, that will just totally mess up your hair.  Just attach a little elastic strap to the crown that you can stretch under your chin.

he could just staple a rubber band to it no?

Image result for burger king hat

I found a dentist around the corner and went.  They took a ton of xrays, said there was a little decay and that I needed a new crown.  I said no, I cannot afford to be be here at all, you will staple it to my mouth if you have to, I will pay the .02 cents for the staple and $6 and a Coors light for the labor.

They cemented it back on in a relatively uncaring manner and said I would end up needing a root canal if I waited too long to get a new crown.  Seeing that canals bring much needed water to parched interiors, I said I was fine with that and that I would certainly win the lottery by the time I needed it and even then I could afford to hire someone to chew food for me anyway.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...if it's gold, save it.  If it's ceramic, you can save it but they won't re-use it.

Mostly grab onto your wallet and make an ASAP dental appointment, before crap gets in there, decay sets in, and you need a root canal or an extraction..

My ceramic -or whatever non-gold material it is- one came off and it was reused.  My BCBS dental insurance covered it.

It came completely loose and I was able to save it before I did any damage to it.  My dentist, who had worked for and then took over the practice when my previous dentist who had made the crown retired, cleaned it and the three gold pins that had been placed as anchors in what was left of the original tooth and glued it right back in place.

That was about a decade ago and it has been fine ever since.

4 hours ago, Randomguy said:

I found a dentist around the corner and went.  They took a ton of xrays, said there was a little decay and that I needed a new crown.  I said no, I cannot afford to be be here at all, you will staple it to my mouth if you have to, I will pay the .02 cents for the staple and $6 and a Coors light for the labor.

They cemented it back on in a relatively uncaring manner and said I would end up needing a root canal if I waited too long to get a new crown.  Seeing that canals bring much needed water to parched interiors, I said I was fine with that and that I would certainly win the lottery by the time I needed it and even then I could afford to hire someone to chew food for me anyway.

...did they give you the sugar lecture, and humiliate you for eating all those cookies ? If not, you got gypped.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...maybe it depends on what's left at the attachment, or what they originally attached it to. Mine gave up because it was busted, anyway.

For me it was over an implant. So the post was attached but the crown had managed to pop off. They cleaned it up and reused it.