Vision Wheels

bikeman564™

Anyone have thoughts on this brand?

This winter I'm thinking of buying  a good set of wheels. Not sure if I want to stick w/ aluminum, or go w/  aero carbon.  I kind of like theses., they're comparable in price to similar ZIPPs. Again, just thinking now. Throw out other brands / models if you'd like.

https://shop.visiontechusa.com/en/type/wheelsets-spares/metron-40-sl-clincher

27 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

Anyone have thoughts on this brand?

This winter I'm thinking of buying  a good set of wheels. Not sure if I want to stick w/ aluminum, or go w/  aero carbon.  I kind of like theses., they're comparable in price to similar ZIPPs. Again, just thinking now. Throw out other brands / models if you'd like.

No thoughts on Vision other than they look nice.

But, being at the starting/planning stage, what is your price range and overall intended use for the new wheels?

A brand like Zipp, Mavic, or Trek's Bontrager will have multiple price points and options, and I would think all three are essentially no-brainers if they tickle your fancy and hit your budget. Then you get into more specialized or smaller company wheels like the Lightweight, Enve, or this Vision brand.  Price then becomes all over the range (premium or lower), quality a little harder to pin down (fewer customers, fewer reviews), BUT individuality becomes greater as well. You won't see many Lightweight Meilensteins at your next club ride (but they sure seem badass).

I love my older Zipp 404s which are pretty much a "normal" aero wheel nowadays and you see a lot of them.  Also, a lot of road bikes are now specced with aero-looking wheels, so those too are becoming "normal".  If I had unlimited resources, I'd likely add a low-to-medium profile Zipp 303 NSW or similar.  A bit aero, a bit all around, a bit lightweight.  I'd want a PowerTap on the rear (or would maybe switch to another newer powermeter option).

Anyway, as a reference, in NoVAs relatively mild weather, the Zipps are all year wheels for me at this point. I used to swap on winter wheels and tires, but the Zipps and Conti GP4000s seem to be fine for any time of year that doesn't require fat tires or studded tires.

Tom

A few friends ride ZIPP 303s and like them a lot. One friend in particular really loves them. Mainly I'd like some aero advantage. I also hear the carbon wheels are more lively.  No real big reasons. I'd like to stay away from Mavic because my rear Ksyrium wheel cracked (aluminum). Also, I'm not a fan of their hubs. My price point ideally is in the upper teens. I don't want to get stupid crazy on wheels. Lightweight & ENVEs are sexy...but sex costs :DA LBS where my aforementioned friends bought their 303s, offers good deals on them because I think they sell a lot. I'll get a price on those just to see.

Thanks for your reply.

Keep in mind, VERY FEW folks have multiple bling wheelsets, so it is unlikely we can actually say "I rode current Zipps for 5,000 miles, current ENVEs for 5k, and the Visions for 5k, and these are my thoughts on how each stack up to the others."  Since I have had no issues with the Zipps except two broken spokes over many years and many miles, I like them. They seem fast and durable.  Like you, I had the spoke/nipple issue with my Mavics, so I can see your trepidation in getting another set from them. 

There is also the tendency for folks to rate whatever they chose to implicitly justify their decision.  So, take glowing reviews with a grain of salt, and maybe watch for negative trends over a mixture of review sites.  I didn't see someone like DCRainmaker reviewing them (he is pretty thorough), but did spot Bike Rumor with a story TODAY :) so there are some new changes in the pipeline. It also looks like Vision is part of the big component maker FSA, so they should know their stuff and have reasonable customer service.

I'd say the 303-family is the "easy" or "vanilla" choice (which is why I went with them), but these other wheelsets from the non-big name guys may be a "funner" option to stand out a little from all the other guys. I have days where I think a screaming orange bike frame would be cool, and others where I wish for a simple matte black frame for a stealth look.  So, for me, some days I think I would have rather gone the Meilenstein or the 454 NSW route, and others I am more thinking I should remove my decals to go fully understated. 

So, again, no help from me, but a suggestion to go with what makes you love your bike even more and want to ride it tons.

Tom

• Awesome 1

Regarding your 303 vanilla comment, I agree. My one friends has two pairs, one rim & one disc for his road & CX bike respectively.  Should I buy a set, it'll probably come down to price, but also need reliability which may slide the scale a bit. Hearing what I've heard about the 303's, I probably would be very happy w/ them. ZIPP is a good 'merican company too. My crankset is a carbon FSA, it's their SLK Light. No issues yet after 6 years, except it creaks...BB30 ? it's always creaked. More so in cold temps. Anywho I digress.

These wheels will be on my cannondale which is matte black (c'dale calls it BBQ :D ) w/ white decals, so carbon wheels w/ white decals would look sweet IMO. It would actually look like OE.

Thanks again for your input. I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @Razors Edge I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize this ? but another friend I ride with has the Vision Metron 40 wheels that I linked in my OP. They came w/ his Trek. He really does like them, and has been on them for couple of years. I probably didn't realize it because the stickers are black on carbon wheels. Just saying, that's all.

1 hour ago, bikeman564™ said:

Hey @Razors Edge I'm not sure why it took me so long to realize this ? but another friend I ride with has the Vision Metron 40 wheels that I linked in my OP. They came w/ his Trek. He really does like them, and has been on them for couple of years. I probably didn't realize it because the stickers are black on carbon wheels. Just saying, that's all.

Here was the video on the EF-Drapac-Cannondale bikes with the Vision wheels:

Tom

• Heart 1