Why do people use the word "literally" so much more than :figuratively"?

Ralphie

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/figuratively

Examples in the link and under plus + sign for more examples, where both figuratively and literally are used in same sentence.

I have never used figuratively in verbal speech with others.  My sense, is that they most likely will not understand me.  Figuratively suggests to  me,  more in a metaphorical sense.

Literally can be used in similar way but sometimes is used for extra descriptive emphasis.  But you're right use of literally can be similar to figuratively.  Oxford dictionary web site will give those similar examples under literally.

Now I am literally and figuratively have learned a lot. ?

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

"Spare" is not a measure of mass. It is literally extra time, time that is not needed to complete essential tasks.

In what manner does time exist other than as a bit of mental gymnastics to describe what came before or what will come after "now".

There is of course the eternal question, Does anybody really know what time it is 

16 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

In what manner does time exist other than as a bit of mental gymnastics to describe what came before or what will come after "now".

There is of course the eternal question, Does anybody really know what time it is 

Someone in Chicago might.

• Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

"Spare" is not a measure of mass. It is literally extra time, time that is not needed to complete essential tasks.

Time can not be measured in mass.  For something to be literally on someone's hands, it must have, like,  mass.

8 minutes ago, 12string said:

Time can not be measured in mass.  For something to be literally on someone's hands, it must have, like,  mass.

Not true.  literally does not have to refer to something only with mass.

in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
synonyms: exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; More

• informal
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Not true.  literally does not have to refer to something only with mass.

in a literal manner or sense; exactly.
"the driver took it literally when asked to go straight across the traffic circle"
synonyms: exactly, precisely, actually, really, truly; More

• informal
    used for emphasis or to express strong feeling while not being literally true.
    "I have received literally thousands of letters"

I'll try again:
While your grabbing me a beer, can you also grab me a chunk of time? 

Time has no mass, therefore it can not be held or placed on a physical surface such as hands.  So you can not literally have time on your hands.  Figuratively, you can.

Although, one can have thyme on their hands.  Literally.

3 hours ago, 12string said:

I'll try again:
While your grabbing me a beer, can you also grab me a chunk of time? 

Time has no mass, therefore it can not be held or placed on a physical surface such as hands.  So you can not literally have time on your hands.  Figuratively, you can.

Although, one can have thyme on their hands.  Literally.

Very well illustrated.