What a tragedy in Branson, MO. :(

Wilbur

It is a tragedy.

My daughter spent a year living there about 10 years ago.

I remember chuckling at a boy on a duck boat in Philly who wouldn't take his life preserver off. Everyone else on the tour had theirs off but he was terrified. Maybe he had the right idea.

• Awesome 1

Seems like when things go bad for a duck boat on the water, they go really bad.  Probably not really the case, as you do not hear about all the ones that did not sink and kill people.

I am not sure I would take a duck boat tour, just like I am not sure I would go on a tourist helicopter 

Prayers for all involved, esp those that lost children to this tragedy.

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Seems like when things go bad for a duck boat on the water, they go really bad.  Probably not really the case, as you do not hear about all the ones that did not sink and kill people.

I am not sure I would take a duck boat tour, just like I am not sure I would go on a tourist helicopter 

Prayers for all involved, esp those that lost children to this tragedy.

I have been on one, although the ones that run around here aren't enclosed like those looked to be. They looked almost like a school bus? I assume people got trapped?

I think I would have tried to go down wind instead of into the storm.

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I have been on one, although the ones that run around here aren't enclosed like those looked to be. They looked almost like a school bus? I assume people got trapped?

I think I would have tried to go down wind instead of into the storm.

A bit of googling shows Duck boats to have a very good record actually.  Yeah, I think the roof may trap passengers.  Regardless of how or why, this is tragic.

1 minute ago, 12string said:

Those duck boats really should all be retired

They are not old WWII craft.  Ride the Ducks operates a fleet of boats at a number of locations around the US and they make them all themselves to resemble the old DUKs from WWII at a plant in Branson, Mo.  

The Coast Guard says they are safe. 

I don't understand why they were even out on the water. Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued hours ahead of time. While the duck boats do well on calm water they do not do well in those conditions. I think the duck boat company was negligent. Sad for the loss of lives but I think it should have been prevented.

4 hours ago, Old#7 said:

I don't understand why they were even out on the water. Severe thunderstorm warnings were issued hours ahead of time. While the duck boats do well on calm water they do not do well in those conditions. I think the duck boat company was negligent. Sad for the loss of lives but I think it should have been prevented.

Yeah, I don’t understand that, either. The boat is only in the water for 20 minutes during each trip. They should have looked at the radar and canceled the trips for awhile when the thunderstorms were imminent.