Heritage designation: built in 1950's - 1970's

shootingstar

House selling for $5 million 'cause it was unique, etc. at that time in 1960.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rare-homes-for-sale-vancouver-1.4754324

I appreciate the exterior design in terms of uniqueness but the interior if "preserved", is ugly.

Here in Alberta, all sorts of bldgs. are designated as heritage and only built in 1940's-1970's. Single family dwelling, gas station (yea, well we're in energy/oil country).  I'm not even talking about major building like Nathan Phillips square in Toronto (new city hall) built in 1960's.

I feel old.  A building from the 1960's as heritage..

Prairie old architecture where I am is pretty plain.. except for sandstone buildings of 1800's.

• Heart 1

I also feel old when things from the 1950's-70's are treated as ancient - though I get a kick out of clearly young reporters who don't have a clue what they're talking about when describing things from that era, and when they do things like: say a TV star who starred in a top-rated series back then is "best known" for a bit part in a 2000's production!

Of course, when I talk to my 10 and 17 year old nephews about the 1950's and 60's, it hits me that it's analogous to someone telling teenage me in the 60's about things in the 1900's and 1910's!

My 'adolescent' home was the last home my step-father built in the early/mid 60's before getting out of direct construction, becoming a supplier bidding on construction projects. He built old school with everything hand laid instead of prefab trusses, etc. After his death in 2000, my mom had a person over for some repairs and his jaw dropped when he saw the construction. He was of the age to appreciate it and stating "Really wish I had met him." 

• Heart 1

23 hours ago, shootingstar said:

House selling for $5 million 'cause it was unique, etc. at that time in 1960.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rare-homes-for-sale-vancouver-1.4754324

I appreciate the exterior design in terms of uniqueness but the interior if "preserved", is ugly.

Here in Alberta, all sorts of bldgs. are designated as heritage and only built in 1940's-1970's. Single family dwelling, gas station (yea, well we're in energy/oil country).  I'm not even talking about major building like Nathan Phillips square in Toronto (new city hall) built in 1960's.

I feel old.  A building from the 1960's as heritage..

Prairie old architecture where I am is pretty plain.. except for sandstone buildings of 1800's.

Thom and Erickson defined modern design in that period and even later.  They are architects whose work needs to be preserved as it defined Vancouver style in their day.  Lets face it, the Asians are ploughing under old Vancouver in favour of massive, lot occupying monstrosities in Hong Kong design.  Preservation is needed. I think I would rather be defined as "heritage" than vintage anyways. :) 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Thom and Erickson defined modern design in that period and even later.  They are architects whose work needs to be preserved as it defined Vancouver style in their day.  Lets face it, the Asians are ploughing under old Vancouver in favour of massive, lot occupying monstrosities in Hong Kong design.  Preservation is needed. I think I would rather be defined as "heritage" than vintage anyways. :) 

Very true that Vancouver is losing its housing heritage.

West coast/Vancouver  innovative single detached home architecture is quite different from Toronto ...and some of it is the building materials.  For sure, Calgary is pretty dull, staid for a lot of their "innovative" housing.  I don't find the architects doing stuff that's innovative...they tend to copy from some place else after another place sticks its neck out to be innovative.  This is Calgary......a laggard in architecture...except for its upcoming new Central Library.

3 hours ago, Longjohn said:

You and Page need to go back and take proper pictures of those bikes in front of a garage door. Page did have a couple proper pictures.

....I went through an earlier "garage door" period in my photography, before I found my ouvre in fences and railings. :)

• Awesome 1

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

....I went through an earlier "garage door" period in my photography, before I found my ouvre in fences and railings. :)

I looked at all your bikes and did not see a single Ouvre in the lot.  Did you lose it after you found it?