She lasted three and two-thirds innings, allowing zero hits and one run while striking out 11.

Kzoo

2 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Thanks!!   Stupid umps. That 4th inning Emmy has 2 outs. Had 2 girls 3-2 and walked both on beautiful pitches right in the middle of the plate at the bottom of the zone. Right at the knees. It was stupid. And the hit batsman was a girl leaning into the zone trying to bunt. Got hit in the hands. Horrible call. Emmy still had plenty to get out of the inning but coach had the luxury of going to another great pitcher so she did. Good to see different looks anyway.  

Reglardless we won?. Emmy want 2-2 and a walk at the plate. Great team effort. 

If the batter squared to bunt and got HBP they can't take first!?!?

Anyway they won, congrats!

7 minutes ago, Parr8hed said:

Thanks!!   Stupid umps. That 4th inning Emmy has 2 outs. Had 2 girls 3-2 and walked both on beautiful pitches right in the middle of the plate at the bottom of the zone. Right at the knees. It was stupid. And the hit batsman was a girl leaning into the zone trying to bunt. Got hit in the hands. Horrible call. Emmy still had plenty to get out of the inning but coach had the luxury of going to another great pitcher so she did. Good to see different looks anyway.  

Reglardless we won?. Emmy want 2-2 and a walk at the plate. Great team effort. 

So at this level are the umpires still high school kids or do you move up the ranks a bit?  Sounds sort of like high school kids.....

It was amazing to see some of the calls that were made and not made in 7th grade tackle football.  I think the refs just made some of them up....

15 hours ago, ChrisL said:

If the batter squared to bunt and got HBP they can't take first!?!?

Anyway they won, congrats!

My take is that if your hands are in the strike zone and your hands get hit by the ball in an attempt to bunt then it’s a foul ball. I could be wrong. If you’re just squaring and get hit then sure. Take your base. 

And thank you. It was an amazing day. 

14 hours ago, jsharr said:

So at this level are the umpires still high school kids or do you move up the ranks a bit?  Sounds sort of like high school kids.....

It was amazing to see some of the calls that were made and not made in 7th grade tackle football.  I think the refs just made some of them up....

No. Good umps. Older guys that knew what they were doing. Through the weekend we had fair calls, consistent strike zones and it was all well done. Sure, I have issue with a close call here and there, but undoubtedly these guys were good.  

18 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

...coach had the luxury of going to another great pitcher so she did. Good to see different looks anyway.

I hope getting taken out doesn't bother her.

I was coaching a high school team in the '90's when the rules sensibly limited the number of innings a pitcher could pitch per week.  My All County All Star senior ace who could whip a softball 66 mph, Jennifer Schmittle, had 3 innings left as we began a 7-inning game we needed to win to make the state playoffs.  So I started our good Sophomore #2 pitcher.  She pitched a no-hitter for four innings but since we were only ahead 1-0 and needed to win, I took her out despite her strong objections and put Jen in to maintain the shutout, which she did.  The sophomore never mentioned the benching again - until:

Several years later that Sophomore, Karen Jacobson, was now UMBC's (my alma mater and the school that upset Virginia in last Spring's March Madness basketball) ace pitcher and was named a Division I All American.  I went to see her pitch occasionally.  After one game, she introduced me to a star player on her opponent's team who was on-track to make the first American Olympic Softball Team when that sport was first included in the Olympics in 1996.  Karen and I were always close, but she introduced me as, "This is my high school coach who took me out of a game after I had a no-hitter going for four innings!"

Competitive players tend to have long memories!

• Awesome 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

I was coaching a high school team in the '90's when the rules sensibly limited the number of innings a pitcher could pitch per week.  My All County All Star senior ace who could whip a softball 66 mph, Jennifer Schmittle, had 3 innings left as we began a 7-inning game we needed to win to make the state playoffs.  So I started our good Sophomore #2 pitcher.  She pitched a no-hitter for four innings but since we were only ahead 1-0 and needed to win, I took her out despite her strong objections and put Jen in to maintain the shutout, which she did.  The sophomore never mentioned the benching again - until:

Several years later that Sophomore, Karen Jacobson, was now UMBC's (my alma mater and the school that upset Virginia in last Spring's March Madness basketball) ace pitcher and was named a Division I All American.  I went to see her pitch occasionally.  After one game, she introduced me to a star player on her opponent's team who was on-track to make the first American Olympic Softball Team when that sport was first included in the Olympics in 1996.  Karen and I were always close, but she introduced me as, "This is my high school coach who took me out of a game after I had a no-hitter going for four innings!"

My son is still bitter he got taken out of a shut out with 2 outs in the 7th of a meaningless game.  It was his final HS start and the coach wanted him to get an ovation from the crowd that was huge for Senior day.  

He doesn't remember the standing O by the crowd nor his dug out, just that he got pulled...

14 hours ago, Dottles said:

How many walks? Earned runs?? Please Kazabooboo, inquiring minds want to know.

3 walks, zero earned runs.  11 K's.  2 for 2 at the plate with an added walk.  She sat back on a nice little 1-2 change up.  Waited for what seemed like an eternity and then just crushed it through the  5-6 gap.  She told me later "Dad, you could tell from her shoulders when a change up was coming".  

17 hours ago, MickinMD said:

She was pissed about getting taken out, but appropriately pissed.  Didn't cry or overreact.  I think that you WANT those players that are upset when they get taken out.  You want that competitive drive.  You want kids that WANT the ball when the game is on the line.  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

Hands on the bat in the stike zone are part of the bat. Foul ball.

That was my take on the play.  I was more than happy to let the ump know the way it SHOULD have gone but he did not seem to want my advice. 

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Parr8hed said:

3 walks, zero earned runs.  11 K's.  2 for 2 at the plate with an added walk.  She sat back on a nice little 1-2 change up.  Waited for what seemed like an eternity and then just crushed it through the  5-6 gap.  She told me later "Dad, you could tell from her shoulders when a change up was coming".  

She was pissed about getting taken out, but appropriately pissed.  Didn't cry or overreact.  I think that you WANT those players that are upset when they get taken out.  You want that competitive drive.  You want kids that WANT the ball when the game is on the line.  

OK a lesson on what not to do.... My sons coach got ejected for arguing balls & strikes.  My son is struggling with command but knows how to deal with it.  It's a tight game, 3rd or 4th inning and he walks a kid. assistant coach comes out of the dug out.  Son looks at him and points back to the dug out.  Sissy assed coach went back!  I would've pulled his ass on the spot.

My son was brutal to catchers too, they didn't dare come out to talk to him unless it was get signs straight.

• Haha 2