Strava - Keeping It Real

Razors Edge

I received an e-mail from Cyclist magazine about Contador riding the Col de Portet and setting a blistering KOM ahead of the stage being ridden by the peloton.  Obviously, he is a beast, and was maybe aiming for the KOM, but I was interested in how the top 10 looked now.

-------------------------------

Not to be outdone by Stage 17 of the Tour de France, Alberto Contador smashed the Strava KOM time for the final climb of the day just hours before the GC battle on the Col de Portet.

Contador’s time of 55:41 is eight minutes faster than the previous best time on the ascent, which was set by LottoNL-Jumbo rider Steven Kruijswijk on a reconnaissance of today’s stage in May.

The Dutchman is seventh on GC and will likely challenge Contador’s time as the race hits the gruelling slopes for the finale of the 65 kilometre stage.

To beat Alberto’s effort Kruijswijk will have to better the Spaniard’s 17.4kmh average speed for the 16 kilometre climb.

The Col de Portet averages 8% and has a final kilometre to the summit at 10%, making it one of the hardest ascents of the Tour.

Other notable riders to have attempted the climb on Strava are Michal Kwiatkowski and Michael Valgren who attempted the climb at a more leisurely pace finishing 10 and 20 minutes slower respectively than Contador. 

---------------------------------

Results AFTER the stage (keep in mind many riders don't post their race info to Strava):

image.png.d4acdb22d470e9890fce017d5045db08.png

• 2 months later...

I expected this thread to be about forgetting to shut off Strava after your ride, loading up and driving home with Strava running. I did that once after a crash. I rode the bike home and then drove myself to the ER. While in the ER I realized Strava was still running. I posted it anyway with a disclaimer. There were no segments on my route so no KOMs or PRa.