So another long-time friend found me

shootingstar

After lst friend found me on 'Net when we cut off from one another for over last 25 yrs., another friend has reached to me...after no contact for past 20 yrs.

I'm not sure what to make of this.  Except both friends each from different parts of my life, have just retired.  Is that what happened to you.....near/during retirement, people from long ago, reached out to you??

Without gettin' deep in historic baggage of personal details, let's just say, the 'Net is convenient for easing back into a some distant friendly contact  --if I feel like it.    I have real physical distance with these 2 different people...meaning several thousand km. from where I am now.   However people can sort of see parts of me  they have known  and where essence of me hasn't changed since teenagehood, via my blog.  At least, that's what I think.  ??

2 hours ago, Kirby said:

Would you want to see these people to "catch up" if you lived close by?

Maybe in a year or 2...not right away.  It's like getting to know each other all over again, but understanding new facets of one another, what one has experienced during those gap years.  Hopefully if I ever meet any of these friends again, the appreciation of one another's winding path, with some tough patches, will make it easier.  This is what I mean...friendship when it ended /got dropped, needs the kindness of Time, in this case several decades to start in a different direction.  I would not expect anything deep as what I had with each person (each is female) long ago.    Which is fine by me:  Only shows how important current other close, long-standing friends can be.  :)

• Heart 1

36 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...nobody wants to look for me. Everyone hates me.:(

What do you mean by this, Page? 

As for these re-appearing friends....a long time ago, they each judged me.  I got fed up and let friendship languish.

In a way, my blog I hope it does naturally show to those who know me in person, that at the core there is good stuff /unique that hasn't changed.  I'm not lost, etc.. I am still the person who loved art, does art, the person who loves to write.  

One of the advantages of writing non-fiction, you can express an opinion in a mini-post/informal, light article, that may be controversial or hard to understand, in person  --especially if the person has a strong  / passionate opinion.  Sometimes it's better to read what the person has written first... if reader  wants to mull over it abit. 

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

What do you mean by this? 

..of all the people I know, I seem to be the most comfortable person I've met who is OK in a mostly solitary existence.

It wasn't always this way, but these days I tend to spend a lot of time doing stuff by myself.  Solitude is something I cherish.

I've had a few contacts who "found me on the internet", but for the most part I can count the people I'd like to hear from more than infrequently on the fingers of both hands. It might be my own problem, or it might just be who I am. For the most part, after ten years of working for the fire department here, there's not one of those guys I care to hang around with.  If that's what you're asking. I came west to get as far aaway from my crazy family as I could get, and for the most part it has worked out pretty well. :)

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

49 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

..of all the people I know, I seem to be the most comfortable person I've met who is OK in a mostly solitary existence.

It wasn't always this way, but these days I tend to spend a lot of time doing stuff by myself.  Solitude is something I cherish.

I've had a few contacts who "found me on the internet", but for the most part I can count the people I'd like to hear from more than infrequently on the fingers of both hands. It might be my own problem, or it might just be who I am. For the most part, after ten years of working for the fire department here, there's not one of those guys I care to hang around with.  If that's what you're asking. I came west to get as far aaway from my crazy family as I could get, and for the most part it has worked out pretty well. :)

Glad you found your peace.  I've understood the firefighter world as oriented to be buds...a fraternity.  Maybe that's an illusion.

I met a wide range of firefighters in one of my former jobs:  I was a librarian...ran a govn't facility that served fire depts. (and engineers) across Ontario....so library specialized in fire protection engineering, firefighting, emergency planning and abit on emergency medicine. (I was part of world wide network of librarians in this subject speciality area. Includes FEMA library.)

My partner is a friendly hermit. He's not even 1 of those guys in weekly peletons riding.  He did his own riding /long continental solo rides.. or with me.  So you're probably like him, a friendly hermit.

• Awesome 1

8 hours ago, Page Turner said:

It wasn't always this way, but these days I tend to spend a lot of time doing stuff by myself.  Solitude is something I cherish..................................................<snip>

Now this is just fine as a first step but now you have to move on.........next thing is to live on the top of a very high pole and start growing your fingernails. 

8 hours ago, Page Turner said:

I've gotten some friend requests I've declined on facebook. Names I remembered from the past, but without checking their page, couldnt remember a face. I guess its kind of interesting to see whats become of them.  Though, some still hang out at the same bar they did 40 some years ago. The name of the bar/owners has changed several times, but the clientele is still the same, just grayer. ;)

3 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

Now this is just fine as a first step but now you have to move on.........next thing is to live on the top of a very high pole and start growing your fingernails. 

...I couldn't live with a Pole who was high all the time. I fear those hippie days are behind me.

This reminds me I need to trim my fingernails. Thank you.  Sometimes I forget. :blush:

I got several friend requests last year..when folks were working on our high school class reunion..I only connected with one person..but got friend requests from others..We were not "friends" in high school so why now 40 some years later...

I have looked for a few folks on facebook..people who I would enjoy being in contact with or that I wonder how they are doing.... I am guessing as people are retiring...they have more time to catch up with lost friends....

I also get friend requests from the Cycling Past Fifty facebook page....from all over the world...sometimes I think friending a person is just about numbers...

I’ve always accepted friend requests only if I would welcome the person to my home. Same way if I request friends. I don’t expect to live in the past. I hope the people in my circle have lives now worth interest. 

I dated a girl in college. Could have been a long term, but she got homesick and had a meltdown. Dropped her circle of friends and started hanging with different crowd. Heard she moved back home shortly after. Someone mentioned her hometown recently. Got me curious. Found her on FB. She is who I remember 38 years later. She looks happy. All I wanted to know. No messages. No friend request. 

I contacted two folks from my Colorado days after I retired.  Both were living and working in Alaska.  I had kept up with them via coworkers during the intervening years, and often asked them to say hello. Yes, I was a bit more relaxed and felt I had more time to spend making these contacts after I retired.  That was 12 years ago, and we still stay in contact via snail and email.  I am not on facebook, so I do not worry about those friends.

22 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I got several friend requests last year..when folks were working on our high school class reunion..I only connected with one person..but got friend requests from others..We were not "friends" in high school so why now 40 some years later...

I have looked for a few folks on facebook..people who I would enjoy being in contact with or that I wonder how they are doing.... I am guessing as people are retiring...they have more time to catch up with lost friends....

I think so too, petite. When retired, there maybe some more time to catch up. These friendships will probably be like sheepherders' 2 friends in Alaska.. renewal means occasional contact because I'm living in entirely different province and far away.

On 7/28/2018 at 9:02 AM, petitepedal said:

When I visited with some of the classmates at reunions, I found I had more in common with them after graduation than during the school years.  I do not necessarily keep up with them, but do enjoy our visits at reunions. Some folks live very interesting lives.