More freakin birdie pics

Chris...

Almost all of my hummingbirds have left for the year.  I still have a few that are holding out.  I wonder if they have young ones that are not ready for the long flight south and they are hanging around for them?  I still have a pair of doves nesting in one of my hanging planters on the back deck.  They have two little ones that look like they are just about big enough to leave the nest.  These doves have raised four sets of little ones in my planters this year. I put empty bottles and stuff in the pots to try to discourage the birds from nesting in there but that didn't work.  You should see momma dove give me the stink eye when I water the plants.

2539_10151580927112762_1330645953_n.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My doves are wanting me to put up some hanging pots for them to nest in.  It's still too cold for me to bring out my plants (they spend the winter in my spa room).  This morning I was sitting in the hot tub and two doves kept watching me and my wife said they are waiting on you to hang a pot.  I got out of the tub and found a hanging planter with just potting soil in it, no plants.  I hung it out on the deck and got back in the tub.  They ignored it.  My wife brought me a bunch of artificial flowers and said they needed plants to make it homey.  I went out and stuck the flowers in the pot and by the time I got back in the tub they were in the pot preparing their nest.

10289793_10152172128502762_8237450926268

• Heart 2

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

​I see a lot of them when riding my bike along the river or lake or when kayaking.  I sometimes see them roosting in the tops of trees around my house.

​Have you ever had one dive bomb you?  The only time I've ever seen a wild one was in Alaska and they told us they were a nuisance and would regularly dive down and often injure people.

​Have you ever had one dive bomb you? 

​When I toured the C&O Canal, I watched one dive bomb a large hawk.  They circled each other for about 20 minutes taking turns trying to gain altitude over the other - it was like watching two fighter planes dogfight.  The hawk was nearly as big as the eagle - come to think of it perhaps it was an immature eagle? :dontknow: .  In any case the 'intruder' bird eventually left, but it seemed to me he took his time about it just to let the eagle know he wasn't at all frightened.  Zealot saw it too, and may have a better recollection of what the other bird was.

• Awesome 1

As you can see in the pictures this eagle was a very large bird.  We constantly have turkey buzzards flying over our house and yard and this eagle had a wingspread much larger than a turkey buzzard.

It's been a couple years since I've seen a Bald Eagle, but when you see one there's no mistaking it. Mature ones are much larger than any bird you commonly see. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Damn duck has taken up residence in my back yard, and commenced to start a family next to my garage. If she had done a little homework on the neighborhood, she might have decided to pick a yard that is not inhabited by three freakin' canines!

DSC01869P.JPG

DSC01994P.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...