Prescription Cycling Glasses

Razors Edge

...are reviewed by VeloNews.  I am in the market, and this article was informative.  Bolle - with a +6 to -8 range - is pretty darn amazing, so at least I know there are still some good options out there for folks with bad eyesight.

Cycling sunglasses might be one of the most under-appreciated pieces of gear you own. And if you wear prescription glasses, they are essential: They enable you to see every detail in the road as you dive into a corner, protect your eyes from dirt and grime on trails and roads, and save your precious retinas from the sun’s rays. These are just a few of the critical tasks handled by your glasses.

Those of us who must wear, or choose to wear, prescription lenses can’t just pop on the latest, trendiest frames endorsed by Peter Sagan. But that doesn’t mean we are limited in our choices. In fact, the number of designs, shapes, styles, and features now available for prescription sunglasses can make it a daunting task to select the best pair for you.

Here, we’ll first discuss what makes the best cycling sunglasses, from how they fit the shape of your face to the types of lenses available, and much more. We consulted with the experts at SportRx, a company that has been crafting prescription sunglasses for athletes since 1996.

Tom

• Heart 1

I employ three strategies for protecting myself with eyewear on the bike. I could just use my prescription eyewear and I have in the past. That method doesn't offer side protection from the sun or anything else. I have searched for 'side shields' that are shaded for complete protection but didn't have any luck. I have found a superior value in OTG safety glasses that are shaded. I use these for short trips to the grocery, etc. For recreational and longer rides, I have a pair of 'tactical' wrap around glasses with prescription inserts. There are a lot of problems with these glasses. Not least of which is air flow through and around the glasses. My third option is OTG goggles made for motorcyclists. These I use for protection in very cold temperatures.

The major sticking point for any decision in this area is that the glasses must not block peripheral vision. EOM.

3 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Thanks. I've had M-Frames since the mid '90s. I don't know if I'll stick w/ these or venture out to another style. I'm in the mind set of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and M-Frames to me are so comfortable. But I may try on a few more styles.

1 minute ago, bikeman564™ said:

Thanks. I've had M-Frames since the mid '90s. I don't know if I'll stick w/ these or venture out to another style. I'm in the mind set of "if it ain't broke don't fix it", and M-Frames to me are so comfortable. But I may try on a few more styles.

I was just getting ready to look into this for next year. I believe the site allows you to try the glasses on for free. If you like the frames and lenses, they ship the lenses to you and complete the sale. If you don't like the frames, send them back and try another pair. I haven't looked at the details of the site for a few years so you may want to look at the specifics of that.

• Heart 1