Is it safe to take ibuprofen 3 times a day for the rest of your life?

Randomguy

Probably not, but I'd say the strength also has a lot to do with it.  Especially if you are getting into the prescription strength stuff which is one I used to throw down like they were freaking Pez.

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Yes, you can take it for the rest of your. it's just that the rest of your life won't be that long a time.

The ex-wife used to take it multiple times a day. I used to tell her it wasn't good for her. She chose Ibuprofen over me.

That is a darn weird thing to break up over!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Yes, you can take it for the rest of your. it's just that the rest of your life won't be that long a time.

The ex-wife used to take it multiple times a day. I used to tell her it wasn't good for her. She chose Ibuprofen over me.

Lucky for you because now you have BuffCarla.

• Heart 2

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Ibprefen affects the kidneys.  You should probably stop drinking.

You will also become a bleeder as your blood will thin.  Do not use for a while before surgery.

I feel like you are mixing your NSAIDS and organ systems.

Ibuprophen will harm the kidneys, but I assume you mean alcohol when you said “drinking”, it is safe for the liver. Tylenol and drinking done mix. And while it will cause GI bleeds, ibuprofen won’t cause prolonged bleeding times. Aspirin does that. 

12 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I feel like you are mixing your NSAIDS and organ systems.

Ibuprophen will harm the kidneys, but I assume you mean alcohol when you said “drinking”, it is safe for the liver. Tylenol and drinking done mix. And while it will cause GI bleeds, ibuprofen won’t cause prolonged bleeding times. Aspirin does that. 

I can only tell you what my doctor says............Of course I was taking 800 mg motrin at the time for L4/L5 vertebrae problems if I wanted to be able to walk.

https://www.healthline.com/health/pain-relief/ibuprofen-alcohol#ibuprofen-and-alcohol

My family doctor put me on two/day 800 mg Ibuprofen when I had hip problems.

The surgeon who worked on my shoulder says studies show Ibuprofen has negative effects long term (I don't remember what) and switched my to two/day Naproxen (generic Aleve), 500 mg.

Both work for me.  I'm off of them now except if I know I'm going to be doing a lot of exercise I do two a day (I have about 150 pills left) until my shoulder gets stronger.

I did some reading a few years ago on the nature of nsaid's in the body. Neglecting the direct negative of drugs in your system, nsaid's suppress inflammation. Unfortunately,  the mechanisms of inflammation are also the mechanisms of healing. If you can get through with a normal course of healing after exercise, you will receive the benefit of a natural systemic reduction of inflammation. 

...IIRC, one of the cautionary warnings with Ibuprofen in particular is some risk of cardiac problems.  I think it has to do with the specific  things that this drug targets in interrupting the inflammatory process, but I'm not for sure.  I dan't take any of them long term. They all give me the runs, every last one of them. I know this because I tried them all in succession back when some stuff hurt a lot.