What were the 70's like?

Randomguy

for rock music, 70-73 weer pretty much an extension of the 60's.  Politically, it was a huge shift.  It seemed 1969-1970 took a lot of steam out of the war and civil rights protests (maybe 1968 did too). Most of the rest of the 70's was an attempt to move on.. but to what?  The oil embargo and subsequent recession kind of took over from 1973-1980

that, and disco sucks

I have fond memories of the seventies.  It probably didn't  have a lot to do with it being the seventies, just that I was young and in love and having fun.  I raced motorcycles in the seventies, met and married my wife, changed careers three times, and I looked like this in the seventies.

17342_245625842761_4930450_n.jpg

Vietnam War lost, Watergate, Jimmy Carter, gasoline shortage/crisis, massive inflation, and disco were just a few of the highlights.   :(

RR got it in a nut shell.  I would add.... the advent of the Me Generation.  The movers and shakers of the 60's cared about something beside themselves.  In the 70 there was a huge switch to caring more about self.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  We could drink at age 18,  rock bands were in their prime and your could see them for less than $20.  I saw Springsteen in '76 at UMD for $6, the Who in '78, second row for $12.50,  Bobby Dylan and the Dead at RFK.  The smoke-out in '76 on the Mall.  I worked at a Holiday Inn back in '76 I remember one guy told me (in lieu of a tip) that if his kid had long hair like mine he'd cut it off with a can opener.  Well god bless you too mister.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  We could drink at age 18,  rock bands were in their prime and your could see them for less than $20.  I saw Springsteen in '76 at UMD for $6, the Who in '78, second row for $12.50,  Bobby Dylan and the Dead at RFK.  The smoke-out in '76 on the Mall.  I worked at a Holiday Inn back in '76 I remember one guy told me (in lieu of a tip) that if his kid had long hair like mine he'd cut it off with a can opener.  Well god bless you too mister.

And did that guy inspire you to get your hair cut?

I have fond memories of the seventies.  It probably didn't  have a lot to do with it being the seventies, just that I was young and in love and having fun.  I raced motorcycles in the seventies, met and married my wife, changed careers three times, and I looked like this in the seventies.

17342_245625842761_4930450_n.jpg

Holy Cow! I didn't know you were Mick Fleetwood.

• Heart 2

But what about THE MINISKIRTS?

I spent a portion of the 70's in love with Donny Osmond :whistle:     I wore platform shoes...also listened to John Denver.  Had a maxi-dress in 1971 and hot pants too. :D  I carried my personal tunes on a cassette tape and carried the cassette player with me to have my tunes (Donny) along...It was not even a Walkman in those days :unhappy:   My graduating class was big on the Bicentennial.  I got my first car a 1973 Pontiac LeMans (I got it in 1978).   Jim Croce died.

Let me think...I could cover lots more...but hey I have to work too.

I spent a portion of the 70's in love with Donny Osmond :whistle:     I wore platform shoes...also listened to John Denver.  Had a maxi-dress in 1971 and hot pants too. :D  I carried my personal tunes on a cassette tape and carried the cassette player with me to have my tunes (Donny) along...It was not even a Walkman in those days :unhappy:   My graduating class was big on the Bicentennial.  I got my first car a 1973 Pontiac LeMans (I got it in 1978).   Jim Croce died.

Let me think...I could cover lots more...but hey I have to work too.

See what I mean about the ME GENERATION.   :)  :)

• Heart 1

RR got it in a nut shell.  I would add.... the advent of the Me Generation.  The movers and shakers of the 60's cared about something beside themselves.  In the 70 there was a huge switch to caring more about self.

I think the thing to remember is that the ME generation WERE the movers and shakers of the 60s, but with a few more years on them, a couple more kids, and a lot more bills to pay.

My folks sort of were like that. I remember n the late 60s and early 70s, Mom especially, was very liberal. Hated Nixon, voted McGovern all that...then by 1980 she was voting Reagan

I think a lot of the ME generation were just baby boomers after they got married and settled down

I'll tell you another part about the 70s...

gays really did have it bad. If your boss found out you were gay, you would probably get fired

if your landlord found out, you'd get evicted

you could beat up gays on the street and nobody would stop you, the police wouldn't come looking for you, and the prosecutors wouldn't charge you anyway

I'll tell you another part about the 70s...

gays really did have it bad. If your boss found out you were gay, you would probably get fired

if your landlord found out, you'd get evicted

you could beat up gays on the street and nobody would stop you, the police wouldn't come looking for you, and the prosecutors wouldn't charge you anyway

How many times did you get fired, beat up, and/or evicted?

• Heart 1

I thought being gay was the best thing in the world out west, KT :P

no, what I'm saying is that there really was a time no long ago that gays really were seriously discriminated against. None of that stuff is legal now and hasn't been for a while

not being able to get married isn't being discriminated against. kids today don't understand real intolerance.

I thought being gay was the best thing in the world out west, KT :P

no, what I'm saying is that there really was a time no long ago that gays really were seriously discriminated against. None of that stuff is legal now and hasn't been for a while

not being able to get married isn't being discriminated against. kids today don't understand real intolerance.

Actually, I think it is discrimination from a legal standpoint, not a churchy standpoint.  I can't come up with a sensible argument as to why lesbians can't scissor away under the banner of marital bliss, and have all the whatever it is that they want.  Why not?

Actually, I think it is discrimination from a legal standpoint, not a churchy standpoint.  I can't come up with a sensible argument as to why lesbianss can't scissor away under the banner of marital bliss, and have all the whatever it is that they want.  Why not?

Because the church would argue that marriage is something that falls under it's realm. 

The state would then be over some other contractual arrangement.  Civil Unions or such...which would not be limited to any particular sex or religion.

Because the church would argue that marriage is something that falls under it's realm. 

The state would then be over some other contractual arrangement.  Civil Unions or such...which would not be limited to any particular sex or religion.

Well, that is just silly!  (wth is he, anyway?).  The church argues lots of things that are just semantics to the nth stupid degree.  "Oh, we originated sin, so we have a lock on defining it", what horescrap.  Marriage for the church only?  More of the same, the word has a different meaning in the minds of the lay person.  The church can have their brand of marriage all they want, but if you get a marriage license from a municipality, it has a set of earthly connotations and expections which are not for the church's benefit.  In other words, mentioning a church in this argument simply doesn't matter at all, it is irrelevant.

Plus, the church is free to coin different terms for its type of marriage, such as "god's marriage by Jesus" or "turbo-marriage" or some other means to exclude non-churchies and make theirs more "special" than regular marriage.  

Marriage is married, no matter what some fringe group is gonna argue.

If there were a compelling reason to exclude some, it wouldn't be an issue.

Well, that is just silly!  (wth is he, anyway?).  The church argues lots of things that are just semantics to the nth stupid degree.  "Oh, we originated sin, so we have a lock on defining it", what horescrap.  Marriage for the church only?  More of the same, the word has a different meaning in the minds of the lay person, the church can have their brand of marriage all they want, but if you get a marriage license from a municipality, it has a set of earthly connotations and expections which are not for the church's benefit.  In other words, mentioning a church in this argument simply doesn't matter at all, it is irrelavant.

Plus, the church is free to coin different terms for its type of marriage, such as "god's marriage by Jesus" or "turbo-marriage" or some other means to exclude non-churchies and make theirs more "special" than regular marriage.  

Marriage is married, no matter what some fringe group is gonna argue.

If their were a compelling reason to exclude some, it wouldn't be an issue.

"

With this Ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

"

With this Ring I thee wed, with my body I thee worship, and with all my worldly goods I thee endow: In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost. Amen."

Ok, you can say that at a churchy marriage.  For others that don't do that, they say "Abracadabra, I now pronounce you married by the laws of Las Vegas and the great state of Nevada" or somesuch, and afterwards you would thank Elvis buy buying him a shot.

• Heart 1

you can try....but you're gonna end up with some preachers shouting you down.... 

Again, this is irrelevant.  Some jackhole is always gonna say some stupid crap that the rest of the country left behind long ago.  That preacher can get with the times and argue the real issue, instead of a losing trademark issue.  The truth of it is that it is an issue of exclusion, you don't hear, and didn't hear, the church all aghast that non-religious people were getting married, it is only an issue because the queeriest types are doing it.  I am not religious (which you know), nor is RW, but we are married, not joined in a civil union.

Unless you are arguing that the state should invalidate my marriage and the millions upon millions just like it, then you are clearly discriminating against gays only if you side with that bunch in this argument.

Bell bottoms?  Tie dye?  Long hair?  Grungy clothes?  I don't know.  I was too busy providing for my family.  Sometimes I wish I could have participated, but then I would not have what I have today.  I had freedom, and a car, and I could have made Woodstock (I know.  '69), but, I didn't.  I'll make the next one.  :P

In Canada, Pierre Trudeau was our Prime Minister for all but the last seven months of the 1970s. Whether that was a good thing or a bad thing depended on the part of the country. He was loved in Quebec and Ontario but hated in Alberta.

We also made the switch to the Metric system in the 1970s. Much of the switch began in the mid-1970s and while many of our weights and measures are Metric, we haven't fully gone Metric.

Canadian content rules for radio and television came into effect in the early 1970s.

We hosted the 1976 Olympics in Montreal.

There's more, but those are a few pieces of 1970s Canadian history.

Because the church would argue that marriage is something that falls under it's realm.
The state would then be over some other contractual arrangement. Civil Unions or such...which would not be limited to any particular sex or religion.

Marriage predates Christianity or any other religion, so I don't give a fuck what they say about it.

you know, for me it isn't even about whether being faggot is moral or not or what I think about that issue at all

for me its about the government or some stupid liberal telling me what I'm supposed to believe

and bosox, since you clearly have a serious problem with religion, naturally you think a Christian's opposition to gay marriage is because they hate gays

you won't even consider the idea that the issue actually does infringe on decent people's right to live by their conscience

you know, for me it isn't even about whether being faggot is moral or not or what I think about that issue at all

for me its about the government or some stupid liberal telling me what I'm supposed to believe

and bosox, since you clearly have a serious problem with religion, naturally you think a Christian's opposition to gay marriage is because they hate gays

you won't even consider the idea that the issue actually does infringe on decent people's right to live by their conscience

if you don't support gay marriage, don't marry a man. Gays aren't looking for different rights, they want the same rights you and I have.

How is the government telling you what you're supposed to believe by allowing gay marriage? It's more the "moral majority" telling the rest of the world what to believe by saying it shouldn't be allowed.

How does allowing gay marriage infringe on decent people's (I love your use of that term....implying believing otherwise means you aren't a decent person) rights? If you don't like it, don't do it. It doesn't affect your rights one iota.

if you don't support gay marriage, don't marry a man. Gays aren't looking for different rights, they want the same rights you and I have.

Mathew 19 ESV

Now when Jesus had finished these sayings, he went away from Galilee and entered the region of Judea beyond the Jordan. And large crowds followed him, and he healed them there. And Pharisees came up to him and tested him by asking, “Is it lawful to divorce one's wife for any cause?” He answered, “Have you not read that he who created them from the beginning made them male and female, and said, ‘Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh’?

• Heart 1