You fokkers are boring the hell out of me today.

jsharr

Why aren't the engines rotating?

Warner Scarab R 500 radial engines is why. These are part of the 7 replica DR1's flying at Omaka Aerodrome New Zealand.  There are to the best of my knowledge no original DR1's that fly.

Years ago I made several trips to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Red Hook NY.  They had a motto that "it isn't an airplane if it doesn't fly" and they put on weekly shows with flying vintage aircraft.  They took a lot of gas from the museum purists because they didn't use original parts in the planes.  On the other hand, anyone with an original DR1 wasn't flying it.  The parts are too old and in some cases too weak to last.

All of the currently flying DR1's are replicas built from the ground up.  A very small number have actual rotary engines.

3 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Warner Scarab R 500 radial engines is why. These are part of the 7 replica DR1's flying in Omaka New Zealand.  There are to the best of my knowledge no original DR1's that fly.

Years ago I made several trips to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome in Red Hook NY.  They had a motto that "it isn't an airplane if it doesn't fly" and they put on weekly shows with flying vintage aircraft.  They took a lot of gas from the museum purists because they didn't use original parts in the planes.  On the other hand, anyone with an original DR1 wasn't flying it.  The parts are too old and in some cases too weak to last.

All of the currently flying DR1's are replicas built from the ground up.  A very small number have actual rotary engines.

You are one smart fokker!

6 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Warner Scarab R 500 radial engines is why. These are part of the 7 replica DR1's flying at Omaka Aerodrome New Zealand.  There are to the best of my knowledge no original DR1's that fly.

Hey Jsharr, here’s another guy that lets facts get in the way.

6 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Some people just know how to internet better than the rest of us.

I did find the magnificent 7 via internet but I knew they were fakes/repros the moment I saw tail wheels in the pic.  Back in the day when I flew RC in contests all over the north east I got to spend some time with folks from the Rhineback show and learned a lot about how they built and maintained their WWI aircraft that they use in every weeks show.

Some here remind me of "Das Badz Guys"

Bravo. You remind me of my history teacher Mr Handly, he enjoyed a laugh, once made a joke about a Brit pilot spotting some Fokkers coming out of the clouds, & the Squadron Leader chastising him for the language, adding that besides, those Fokkers were Messerschmitts.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I did find the magnificent 7 via internet but I knew they were fakes/repros the moment I saw tail wheels in the pic.  Back in the day when I flew RC in contests all over the north east I got to spend some time with folks from the Rhineback show and learned a lot about how they built and maintained their WWI aircraft that they use in every weeks show.

Some here remind me of "Das Badz Guys"

Ummmm, actually I was referring to your Edith Ann vid.  But the planes too.

Among other things, I was paid to be a finder.  If an item was vital to a project and generally unavailable on this planet maxx's reputation was that it would be on the loading dock tomorrow morning.

It got to the point that some of our clients would call my boss and ask if I could take a look for something that their people couldn't obtain.  

Now, in the prototype business that meant that sometimes items came without papers, or knowledge of their source.  I once made a deal for a hand full of IC"s left on the leader of a used up reel of parts at a factory in Indonesia (basically shop floor sweepings) because we absolutely need them and the lead time was "years".  There are not always certificates of authenticity on prototypes.

There are foolish people however that try to sell prototypes to the American people as if they were production pieces (congress appropriations for example)

Lilly was easy.  We watched the Smothers Brothers every week back in the day.