Pacific Crest Trail Adventure: Which segment should I choose?

Dottleshead

I will only have time for one segment on the PCT.   

1 member has voted

1. 1. Which trail segment should I hike?

• https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7009472/pct-tuolumne-meadow-to-sonora-pass
    • https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7009473/pct-sonora-pass-to-echo-lake
    • https://www.hikingproject.com/trail/7009475/pct-echo-lake-to-highway-80-donner-summit

A coworker of mine plans on hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail from Southern California up to the Canadian border.  Insanely he's going to do it alone but mentioned he was going to have folks meet up with him during various sections of the trail.  It's a 2,650 trail and I plan on hiking a 60-75 mile segment with him.   I told him I feel like I know the Washington and Oregon Cascades but would be very interested in meeting him in the Sierra Nevadas.  It was amazing because as we were talking, I knew immediately how I'd sell the proposal to my wife.  "Honey, I want to go spend 3-5 nights hiking the PCT around Tahoe and/or Yosemite.  You're welcome to join us but your also welcome to stay in some plush hotel while I go rough it on the trail."

Assuming my cardiologist green lights me and I can go, I have already identified 3 sections of the trail I'd like to do.  It's always kind of been a bucket item list.  I'd love to know what you all would do if given the chance.

• Heart 3

...of the three, that section from Sonora Pass to echo lake will probably be the least crowded with other hikers.  

I would  not enjoy that section from Echo Lake to Donner Summit, because it's heavily used by everyone and abused by some of them.

Personally, I used to enjoy the sections down around the John Muir Wilderness more.  Less crowded and there's at least one road that goes back in over the Kaiser Pass up from Fresno that puts you close to the PCT. Fishing's better there. too.

• Heart 1

I met some PCT through hikers and talked with them about the experience. Apparently they have a Facebook group for each year. They all go by trail names. Choose a good trail name and maybe they can help? I think a pole for your trail name would be more helpful. Here, I'll get you started

• Hiker420
  • snuggles
  • Bad *ss
  • knarly
  • yo beotch
  • Heart 2

39 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I met some PCT through hikers and talked with them about the experience. Apparently they have a Facebook group for each year. They all go by trail names. Choose a good trail name and maybe they can help? I think a pole for your trail name would be more helpful. Here, I'll get you started

• Hiker420
  • snuggles
  • Bad *ss
  • knarly
  • yo beotch

FOTD

Found On Trail Dead

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

Were it me, a fat Texan who does not go up or down mountains well, I would chose Echo Lake to Donner Summit.  Shortest segment you presented, at a lower altitude and has the least amount of ascent and descent.   I am fat because I am lazy and always look for the easiest way.....

Have fun which ever one you choose.

15 minutes ago, jsharr said:

Were it me, a fat Texan who does not go up or down mountains well, I would chose Echo Lake to Donner Summit.  Shortest segment you presented, at a lower altitude and has the least amount of ascent and descent.   I am fat because I am lazy and always look for the easiest way.....

Have fun which ever one you choose.

I 100% agree with Page.  The trail he proposed is one I will consider.  I think you're right in the trail option you choose only because I'm fat (part of the reason to go on the hike and get ready for the hike is to get LESS fatter) and there are a lot of off spur trails that bring me into the Tahoe bowl and cell phone reception.  Plus if my wife is staying in the Tahoe area, she could come get me... you know for moments 12 hours into the trek where I suddenly say, "What the fuck was I thinking!?".  That and with my recent heart diagnosis, I feel like it might be the safer option should something go wrong.

1 minute ago, Dottles said:

I 100% agree with Page.  The trail he proposed is one I will consider.  I think you're right in the trail option you choose only because I'm fat (part of the reason to go on the hike and get ready for the hike is to get LESS fatter) and there are a lot of off spur trails that bring me into the Tahoe bowl and cell phone reception.  Plus if my wife is staying in the Tahoe area, she could come get me... you know for moments 12 hours into the trek where I suddenly say, "What the fuck was I thinking!?".  That and with my recent heart diagnosis, I feel like it might be the safer option should something go wrong.

So, I have been meaning to ask, was it a surprise to you that you had a heart?  

10 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...of the three, that section from Sonora Pass to echo lake will probably be the least crowded with other hikers.  

I would  not enjoy that section from Echo Lake to Donner Summit, because it's heavily used by everyone and abused by some of them.

Personally, I used to enjoy the sections down around the John Muir Wilderness more.  Less crowded and there's at least one road that goes back in over the Kaiser Pass up from Fresno that puts you close to the PCT. Fishing's better there. too.

10 hours ago, Page Turner said:

jmtmap1.jpg

The John Muir Trail (JMT)

• Coincides with the Pacific Crest Trail for 160-ish miles

I need to update my choices menu:  Option 4:  JMT.

This actually would be the most exciting but I've heard some of the roughest.  I have 10 months to get in shape and i need the approval of my cardiologist but if I'm dedicated, I think I could do it.  I 100% agree with you about the people and Tahoe.  I like solitude.  I like seeing things few others have.  I like the path less traveled.  But I'm real paranoid right now.  I see the cardiologist in late August and that'll explain a few things.  Maybe I can catch the trail from the Eastern side, like out of Bishop and meet up with it there? If so, I'd have to fly into Reno or probably L.A. and spend the night in Bishop. I know when I traveled on 395 in the past, I recall seeing the back entrance to the parks not to far out of town (back door reference was intentionally placed in this paragraph so jsharr has some material). Better yet an open jaws travel plan where we fly into L.A. and leave Reno.  Wait.  Do they have direct flights to Fresno?

6 minutes ago, jsharr said:

So, I have been meaning to ask, was it a surprise to you that you had a heart?  

I'm a lover, not a fighter. I thought you knew that.  BTW, I like meat and peppers and not a fan of beans.  But now I have no choice but to like beans and peppers and not meat if I want to eat chilli.  You're really cruel, you know that?

2 minutes ago, Dottles said:

I'm a lover, not a fighter. I thought you knew that.  BTW, I like meat and peppers and not a fan of beans.  But now I have no choice but to like beans and peppers and not meat if I want to eat chilli.  You're really cruel, you know that?

You should go to North Dakota and get some Texas Caviar.

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

I need to update my choices menu:  Option 4:  JMT.

This actually would be the most exciting but I've heard some of the roughest.  I have 10 months to get in shape and i need the approval of my cardiologist but if I'm dedicated, I think I could do it.  I 100% agree with you about the people and Tahoe.  I like solitude.  I like seeing things few others have.  I like the path less traveled.  But I'm real paranoid right now.  I see the cardiologist in late August and that'll explain a few things.  Maybe I can catch the trail from the Eastern side, like out of Bishop and meet up with it there? If so, I'd have to fly into Reno or probably L.A. and spend the night in Bishop. I know when I traveled on 395 in the past, I recall seeing the back entrance to the parks not to far out of town (back door reference was intentionally placed in this paragraph so jsharr has some material). Better yet an open jaws travel plan where we fly into L.A. and leave Reno.  Wait.  Do they have direct flights to Fresno?

...if you get in there and panic, you can just spend your vacation in the Mono Hot Springs. :)

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Scrapr said:

• Hiker420
  • snuggles
  • Bad *ss
  • knarly
  • yo beotch

Jsharr-harr-d-harr-harr and the refried trekkers

I crossed the PCT today. There were 2 hikers there at the top. They had thumbs out for Sisters/Bend. I really debated turning around and picking them up. But they probably wanted to restock in Bend. And I didn't want to go all the way back. It's aboot 45 mins to Bend. But I would have liked to hear their story. They were gone when WoScrapr came through aboot 2 hours later 

• Heart 1

40 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yeah even with good intentions, I always want to help but in this day you never know who it is you're picking up. It's scary out there. The days of Page's magic bus are gone.

They werre PCT hikers. I'm sure they had a pocket knife or 4. And knew how to use em. But this isn't some homeless come out of the woods with a grocery cart and a cardboard sign (God Bless) I wish I could have heard their story. I get focused on my schedule and I should have shit canned it and turned around

(next time)

• Heart 1

@Page Turner: So I've been looking at PCT and/or JMT sections to hike that would be within decent travel time from Reno Airport while still providing safe and interesting sites for my single wife to visit the 4 or 5 days I'm out on the trail.  One of the shorter hikes (50 miles-ish) is simply to meet up with my friend in Red Meadows (outside of Mammoth Lakes) and hike north through the John Muir Wilderness into Yosemite and get picked up on the valley floor.  The advantage of staying there is I suspect the eastern side of the Sierras off of 395 isn't as swarming and difficult to find lodging as the west and both trail end access points are served by a shuttle to various places including Mammoth in the event timing of our hike (particularly the time we finish) would not require her to sit for a day in the parking lot awaiting for us to emerge.  

Lodging there would give her the advantage of exploring KIngs Canyon, Sequoia, and Yosemite national parks while I hike through some great scenery.  The only disadvantage that I can see is that the hike from Mammoth Lakes to Yosemite is most likely a popular one because of the access to both ends of the trailhead.  I mean, one could start out of Red Meadows by catching the shuttle to the trailhead, hike it into the valley floor, and then catch the shuttle back to Mammoth.  I have to think outside of the Lake Tahoe section it's got to be one of the more populated sections just for the ability to start and finish with a ride.  The shuttles leave every 30 minutes.

Logistically, this looks like it'd work great but curious on your thoughts.  I know you have to get passes now... so that should cut down on the amount of hikers... and I'd have to think the day hikes through this section would be far less than the Tahoe section.

...Mammoth to Yosemite is pretty heavily trafficked, but if they still have a permitting system in place for that section, it might be OK.

The beauty of the stretches I was telling you about up out of Fresno crossing the Kaiser Pass road where it intersects the upper south forks of the San Joaquin is that while visually spectacular and accessible by road ( through hikers sometime resupply at Mono Hot Springs store, even though the selection is crappy and the prices a little high.)  But it's not someplace where you want your missus driving in and out on the same day to drop you off, because the road is pretty slow and a trifle on the scary side if you're susceptible to fear of heights.  

Honestly, depending on the time of year your friend starts out, you might want to have some alternatives.  Stretches of the PCT get closed because of fires now and then.  And if some spot has burned in the past two or three years, it's not much fun walking through it anyway.  The conditions up there are constantly in flux, and I haven't hiked the trail in over ten years.  So I'm reluctant to give any solid advice other than to join that reddit group, ask some questions, and to keep in mind that there are stretches of the PCT that see pretty heavy day use from the locals. Your best bet is usually to find an access point that you can drive to, but is still pretty remote from the larger population centers and the big attractions, like Mammoth, Yosemite, and Tahoe.  Kings Canyon (in my experience) gets lots less use than many of the other national parks here.  I don't know why. I've camped alone in King's Canyon on a number of occasions, and run into nobody at all. Yosemite and Tahoe, not so much.

http://centroculturalaustriaco.com/pacific-crest-trail-map-southern-california/pacific-crest-trail-pct-thru-hike-map-california-pacific-crest-trail-map-southern-california/

...also, that whole section from Lassen up through the Trinity Alps gets little use (relatively speaking) and is very pretty. But I'm not sure about the extent and impact of the Carr fire around Redding.

Lassen has plenty to look at, as does King's Canyon.  They both have pretty good lodging alternatives.  My own experiences while living in Merced and driving up into the Sierra a lot to escape the dusty, dreary farm town that it then was and the oppressive bureaucratic environment in which I labored, was that driving up out of Fresno was about as good as it gets in the Sierra.  Probably because Fresno. :)

8 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...Mammoth to Yosemite is pretty heavily trafficked, but if they still have a permitting system in place for that section, it might be OK.

The beauty of the stretches I was telling you about up out of Fresno crossing the Kaiser Pass road where it intersects the upper south forks of the San Joaquin is that while visually spectacular and accessible by road ( through hikers sometime resupply at Mono Hot Springs store, even though the selection is crappy and the prices a little high.)  But it's not someplace where you want your missus driving in and out on the same day to drop you off, because the road is pretty slow and a trifle on the scary side if you're susceptible to fear of heights.  

Honestly, depending on the time of year your friend starts out, you might want to have some alternatives.  Stretches of the PCT get closed because of fires now and then.  And if some spot has burned in the past two or three years, it's not much fun walking through it anyway.  The conditions up there are constantly in flux, and I haven't hiked the trail in over ten years.  So I'm reluctant to give any solid advice other than to join that reddit group, ask some questions, and to keep in mind that there are stretches of the PCT that see pretty heavy day use from the locals. Your best bet is usually to find an access point that you can drive to, but is still pretty remote from the larger population centers and the big attractions, like Mammoth, Yosemite, and Tahoe.  Kings Canyon (in my experience) gets lots less use than many of the other national parks here.  I don't know why. I've camped alone in King's Canyon on a number of occasions, and run into nobody at all. Yosemite and Tahoe, not so much.

https://bearfoottheory.com/john-muir-trail-section-hikes/

I am changing my mind. The permit system into Yosemite is a PITA. Thinking Kings. I have more research to do. Link above is a good one.

2 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I don't know how long it's been for you, but the downhill hiking in the Sierra is often worse and more painful than the uphill.  If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.

Hiking uphill is work but you can still bend your knees after the camp has been set up. Downhill and you better find a snow pack.

5 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I don't know how long it's been for you, but the downhill hiking in the Sierra is often worse and more painful than the uphill.  If I'm lyin' I'm dyin'.

I have 10 months to make it happen. If I can't walk 10 miles with a 30 pound pack on a flat surface, it's not gonna go down.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...it's important to start with a real world baseline in these endeavors. :)

I will say the last time I went hiking last year I went here and afterwards I was sore for 2 days.  But they also had steps up to my waste.  I make no excuses.  I may not be able to do it.

https://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes/heather-lake-1

6 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...I've hated every Austrian I've ever met.  They're all a bunch of entitled, soft core nazi wusses, with strong feelings of superiority, and little to recommend them as personable companions.  That's just one opinion.

While my experience in Austria didn't suggest this, I can tell you my experience meeting them here confirms this. Somebody needs to tell them they lost the war.

3 minutes ago, Dottles said:

While my experience in Austria didn't suggest this, I can tell you my experience meeting them here confirms this. Somebody needs to tell them they lost the war.

My wife and I recently met a wonderful Austrian on our hike to Colchuck Lake.  Then shared beers and brats in Leavenworth.  Nice guy.

Tom