Suburban cycling, goats

shootingstar

There is a 148 km. cycling greenway that rings our city. About 90% of it now done. We did over 50% of it..keeping in mind we have to cycle to the ring from downtown.... and back home which alone is a 20km. segment itself which is fine.

I saw suburban sprawl of new homes on the edges of town.  Prairie coulees /ridges which divided up the neighbourhoods which does give natural park-like enclosures but from a cycling perspective doesn't give straightforward faster routes.  The neighbourhoods do demand use of car or if you want some long transit rides.

I usually cycle in large swaths of valleys with a few minor hills...so am not aware of all the neighbourhoods above .. am only familiar with larger central part of city.

We came home and I was so glad to live in an area that was way more cycleable and close to a lot of shops and services.  No interest in being isolated out in the 'burbs.  And in the long, hard winters, just isolatinggoats.thumb.JPG.c6db9e8a90241bf14cb9dd58776dd45d.JPG.  1998067484_suburbanedges.thumb.JPG.358d84ad827cf08851660fe0de4ee5e3.JPG

That's me in foreground on the edge of city.  (Calgary geographically is as big as Metro Vancouver which is made up of 10+ cities!  Just ridiculous in terms of sprawl.)  2nd photo is a herd of goats we encountered.  City is using them in certain parks for grazing instead of pesticides.

• Heart 2

Nice!

A buddy of mine ran into a trip (I had to google that) of goats - literally. They escaped from a farm and were mostly on the sides of the road.

He tried to ride between them, but those on the left and right crossed the road in front of him. He doesn't think that the were trying ram (get it) him, but he hit a couple and crashed hard enough to break the frame of his old Cannondale.

His comment that I found funny: "Goats don't act like dogs."

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, JerrySTL said:

Nice!

A buddy of mine ran into a trip (I had to google that) of goats - literally. They escaped from a farm and were mostly on the sides of the road.

He tried to ride between them, but those on the left and right crossed the road in front of him. He doesn't think that the were trying ram (get it) him, but he hit a couple and crashed hard enough to break the frame of his old Cannondale.

His comment that I found funny: "Goats don't act like dogs."

12912647_267936680215437_1962578668_n_la

Did you see there was a herd of rent-a-goats that escaped recently and were wandering around a neighborhood in Boise eating up the foliage?  I wish a herd of goats would come wandering through my yard - what fun!