Just replaced my stock tires at 63k miles on my Sonata

Dottleshead

So I bought some German tires today. I wanted the Michelins but the model I was looking at was a higher end and didn't want to pop another $50. So I bought Continental tires. 80k warranty from Discount Tires. All 4 for out the door price of $597. Sucks but I shouldn't have to worry about tires for 3-4 years.

I think it's reasonable that my new car's tires I bought in 2015 lasted that long. Let's hope these last longer.

• Awesome 1

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

That Sonata bad number of miles for original tires. The new ones should do better.

It seems like 65k is about what they all run?? Heck, even the Discount Tires guy showed me their expectations don't always live up to standards but 'come back and get credit' which is just more scam to repeat business.

• Heart 1

I was told by a tire guy that the OEM tires - same brand same model are not the same as aftermarket.  The OEM tires are made with less expensive compounds and are not intended to last as long as aftermarket.  True or not :dontknow: but I think most people have experience with poor wearing original tires....

That said, I had a small Chrysler Lebaron in the early 80's that I got 100k on the set before I traded it in.  I rotated them regularly and the tread lasted like crazy.  They definitely needed replaced at the end but still had tread.  I was not going to replace them before trading it in.

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I was told by a tire guy that the OEM tires - same brand same model are not the same as aftermarket.  The OEM tires are made with less expensive compounds and are not intended to last as long as aftermarket.  True or not :dontknow: but I think most people have experience with poor wearing original tires....

That said, I had a small Chrysler Lebaron in the early 80's that I got 100k on the set before I traded it in.  I rotated them regularly and the tread lasted like crazy.  They definitely needed replaced at the end but still had tread.  I was not going to replace them before trading it in.

I can see that...   My wife leased her last 3 cars and after 36K miles the tires were pretty worn on each of the cars.  I purchased my Subaru used with around 30K miles and don't know if they replaced the tires or if they were OEM but I've got 72K on it now and the tires still are nowhere near needing replacement.

Assuming they replaced them, at this rate I'll get well over 70K miles on my tires which is way more than my wife was getting out of her tires.

But isn't comparing tires not even remotely apples-to-apples?  Tires come in many forms, for many purposes, and with many intended attributes.  All season vs performance vs all terrain. Comfort vs durability vs run flat.  Whatever.  I also wonder if, like fuel economy, driving style and type plays a big part. "City" vs "highway". Straight roads vs twisty. Flat vs hilly.  Warm weather vs cold (and salty) climates. Wet vs dry.  Yada yada yada.

Tom

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

But isn't comparing tires not even remotely apples-to-apples?  Tires come in many forms, for many purposes, and with many intended attributes.  All season vs performance vs all terrain. Comfort vs durability vs run flat.  Whatever.  I also wonder if, like fuel economy, driving style and type plays a big part. "City" vs "highway". Straight roads vs twisty. Flat vs hilly.  Warm weather vs cold (and salty) climates. Wet vs dry.  Yada yada yada.

Tom

Yeah could be the wear ratings on our tires are vastly different but our vehicle & car types are similar as are driving conditions. 

I'm guessing the OEM tires Hyundai specs are lower end with low wear ratings.

I did not get 30K on the stock tires on my Silverado and I rotated them at every oil change, so every 5k miles.  I repalced them with higher mileage tires in hopes of getting better mileage or taking advantage of the "prorate" at Discount Tire.

Just put a new set of Cooper Ultras on the wife's Jeep.  Went with them based off a number of factors, including favorable reviews, a great rating from Consumer Reports and a very high mileage rating, which again, if they do not meet, I will get a prorated discount from Discount Tire.

15 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife put all seasons on her Pilot (now my Pilot). They can’t get out of their own way. They were a premium tire @ over $200 each.

When someone slashed the sidewall on one of the tires the tire shop gave me $120 credit on the road hazard protection.

You I mean "someone" (wink wink) should slash the other three and go back to the shop.

• Haha 1

63K miles is very good on comes-with-the-vehicle tires!

In 2016 had to replace the cheap original tires on my Honda Fit after 30K+ miles which occurred just after the three year warranty.

I was able to get Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus 60K tires for 2/3 list during a sale at Costco, $429 for 4 out the door.

I hope they last longer than the originals!

• Awesome 1

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

I did not get 30K on the stock tires on my Silverado and I rotated them at every oil change, so every 5k miles.  I repalced them with higher mileage tires in hopes of getting better mileage or taking advantage of the "prorate" at Discount Tire.

Just put a new set of Cooper Ultras on the wife's Jeep.  Went with them based off a number of factors, including favorable reviews, a great rating from Consumer Reports and a very high mileage rating, which again, if they do not meet, I will get a prorated discount from Discount Tire.

That's what my Continnentals will get.  I bought them at Discount Tire.  A 'prorated' discount or credit for tires that they KNOW will not meet the warranty.  They will apply a credit toward your next purchase of tires.  I call bullshit.  If you're going to give me an 80,000 mile warranty, then you are gauranteeing me 80,000 miles.  If I dont get 80K out of them, then you should replace them.  And if you don't replace them but refund me a percentage of my original cost -- then give me cash back so I can go buy a set of tires that does from somebody else.  Otherwise, don't tell me they're warrantied for 80k.

1 hour ago, MickinMD said:

63K miles is very good on comes-with-the-vehicle tires!

In 2016 had to replace the cheap original tires on my Honda Fit after 30K+ miles which occurred just after the three year warranty.

I was able to get Bridgestone Ecopia 422 Plus 60K tires for 2/3 list during a sale at Costco, $429 for 4 out the door.

I hope they last longer than the originals!

They were offering those at Costco today for $461 out the door price.  But I elected to go with the Discounted Tire ones at nearly $80K.  What's the difference?  I'm supposed to get 20K more miles on each tire (a year I figure) and they did rate a bit higher for performance in wet conditions.  I don't know.  I'm just a consumer so I'm likely to get screwed either way.  ?

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

That's what my Continnentals will get.  I bought them at Discount Tire.  A 'prorated' discount or credit for tires that they KNOW will not meet the warranty.  They will apply a credit toward your next purchase of tires.  I call bullshit.  If you're going to give me an 80,000 mile warranty, then you are gauranteeing me 80,000 miles.  If I dont get 80K out of them, then you should replace them.  And if you don't replace them but refund me a percentage of my original cost -- then give me cash back so I can go buy a set of tires that does from somebody else.  Otherwise, don't tell me they're warrantied for 80k.

You having a bad morning??Should your landlord refund all of your back rent, because you get a leak in the roof?:whistle:

1 hour ago, Dottles said:

First off the tire rating is set by the manufacturer and is being honored by Discount Tire.  Tire warranties have always been done on a pro-rated basis - wear or damage.  Read the fine print on the sales document when you buy the tire.  It's an industry standard.  Applying credit to a store discount or store credit is a retail industry standard.  You're bitching about stuff that has been SOP for 100 years.

No one is perfect so..... Discount Tire isn't prefect, but........ they have been very good to me for the 30 years I have been doing business with them and I won't buy a tire anywhere else.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

You know, 20 kilometres isn't very far.  Are the police still stopping you with spike strips? 

In the real world, we use miles.  According to AWWC anyway.

Yea, low profile tires ride nice and all but they don't last very long.  And it's not like I drive like an (insert group here who are generally spatially unaware genetically -- it's science folks) person.  I drive like an old man for the most part.  I have a real stick in my butt.

Couch

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

First off the tire rating is set by the manufacturer and is being honored by Discount Tire.  Tire warranties have always been done on a pro-rated basis - wear or damage.  Read the fine print on the sales document when you buy the tire.  It's an industry standard.  Applying credit to a store discount or store credit is a retail industry standard.  You're bitching about stuff that has been SOP for 100 years.

No one is perfect so..... Discount Tire isn't prefect, but........ they have been very good to me for the 30 years I have been doing business with them and I won't buy a tire anywhere else.

Kazabooboo, I love discount tires. We are in agreement. It'd weird but I always feel so GREAT after I buy them. I feel obligated to bitch a little because drama is important in a forum. 

• Awesome 2