I flew into the "City of Broad Shoulders today

Scrapr

I was middle seat. Guess who was next to me? John Candy. He was standby and was last one on da plane. Before we spun up the motors/engines for take off he had eaten a basket of grapes, a basket of fruit and a big salad.  He also kicked his shoes off right away. Guess who watched a movie hunched forward in my seat?

• Heart 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

I was middle seat. Guess who was next to me? John Candy. He was standby and was last one on da plane. Before we spun up the motors/engines for take off he had eaten a basket of grapes, a basket of fruit and a big salad.  He also kicked his shoes off right away. Guess who watched a movie hunched forward in my seat?

It’s funny (not really) but I thought he had died. 

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I really hate it when inconsiderate next seat passenger lay their arm on our shared armrest or their arm is large.  So I gently and strategically place my arm...to claim some space. :)

I hate when scrawny people hog the armrest!   I mean, it's not like they need the extra space or anything.  :) 

• Haha 2

I do about 30 flights per year as a passenger.  Thus, I get lots of exposure to the ineptitude, selfishness and stupidity of other passengers.  Last month, flying to Spain, I had a window seat and a young couple beside me who had their 1 year old.  Dad, a rather obese fellow felt the need to occupy the middle seat, giving his princess as much room as possible in the aisle seat.  I woke up half way across the Atlantic with the kids lower body across my lap.  Dad was busy playing a game on his iPad and obviously found this to be acceptable.  The princess slept soundly, unencumbered by her crap sack of a kid.  I was not impressed so I tuned him in.   The rest of the flight was quiet.  I guess the snowflake didn't like his humanities lesson.  :) 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

A 17 hour flight in economy coach on a Chinese airline with hotter cabin temperatures (more acceptable to the average passenger) that departs or arrives at JFK in the wee hours of the morning will make anything else seem quite pleasant in comparison.  That of course included the new smaller seats.

The only acceptable answer is drugs.

11 hours ago, Kirby said:

He did.  I think the reference to John Candy was just descriptive,

Yes descriptive. I did not actually have a cadaver brought on board to save on embalming costs. When I think of Chicago big fellas I think John Candy (Uncle Buck) or Chris Farley (Tommy Boy). We worked it out between us. He agreed to take the armrest & I agreed to hunch forward (in practice)

I think I got lucky as across the aisle there was a couple that was also "big boned". I am looking at upgrade to First Class on the return. But the plane is (very) full so we could not even select seats. I looked yesterday and there were 2 singles only in cattle. We had upgraded to Premium Cattle. Hoping (?) to get bumped and collect some moolah.