So you say you want to go backpacking....

Dottleshead

In Japan, sometimes you get a choice of 2 different types of toilets....like what we have or hole in ground for squatting.  And latter is beautifully tiled and cleaned also.  In some cases just squat, no choice in a city facility. 

And we think in North America we're so global, so adaptable and so tough.  It's just camping....we CHOOSE to rough it ..only for a couple of days or weeks.

Then we return to conveniences...of a sit-down toilet.  (thank goodness)

The local Japanese news media when we were there in June, announced that Japan's consumption of toilet paper had rocketed high....due to North American and European tourists. 

Well, if you saw the self-watering computerized bidets in some of the washrooms....I gave up trying to figure it out. Too many buttons...for spray, fan..and even music.

36 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

In Japan, sometimes you get a choice of 2 different types of toilets....like what we have or hole in ground for squatting.  And latter is beautifully tiled and cleaned also.  In some cases just squat, no choice in a city facility. 

And we think in North America we're so global, so adaptable and so tough.  It's just camping....we CHOOSE to rough it ..only for a couple of days or weeks.

Then we return to conveniences...of a sit-down toilet.  (thank goodness)

The local Japanese news media when we were there in June, announced that Japan's consumption of toilet paper had rocketed high....due to North American and European tourists. 

Well, if you saw the self-watering computerized bidets in some of the washrooms....I gave up trying to figure it out. Too many buttons...for spray, fan..and even music.

I did warn you to accept any packets of paper with advertising being handed out by people in the various train stations right?

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

So you say you want to go backpacking....

No. No, I did not!

Calm down and walk aft, the bar is open my friend.  Perhaps a Bloody Mary to settle you back down?

BTW, I wrote that assuming you were either working or at the cottage and not actually on your yacht, or I would advise you to walk forward to the bar.  

• Heart 1

I pooped in the woods many times.. it's not an art, but if you get the job done.

The PCT is awesome.. I didn't get to stay as long as I wanted, but a month out there was fun if nothing else. There are a lot of towns you will pass through, and the key is to not eat things that will pass through you super fast!

....in case you run out of TP and have to use leaves:

image.jpeg.10a2f986776ad0cdabc0225c041d920b.jpeg
The leaves of this plant look a lot like oak leaves, and like poison ivy, they usually grow in clusters of three. But some kinds of poison oak have five, seven or nine leaves per cluster. Poison oak usually grows as a shrub in the Southeast or along the West Coast. It bears clusters of greenish yellow or white berries.