Do you ever use..

Wilbur

7 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Not since I was a child. One of my aged relatives served, what we called, "poached eggs". Basically, not completely cooked eggs in the shell.

We called those "soft-boiled", better when emptied into a cup with a little butter, salt, and pepper then slathered on toast.

28 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Never.  we don't own any of those useless items.  We do own a tv that hasn't been turned on in at least a year.

If you butcher said egg in a regular cup or mug the butchery and result can be all the finer to spread upon your toasted bread my friend.

Maybe it's a European thing.  My parents had them and they were commin in Holland.  The cups and the little egg spoons you ate them with.

And it's a process too. Gently tap a circle around the egg with the little spoon, break up the upper area, remove shell leaving a perfect circle of shell that is removed. Salt & pepper & scoop out the egg with the little spoon & eat.  Most Americans don't have the time or patience for that...

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

...now that all the peppers and okra are in season, I've been making myself Huevos Rancheros about twice a week here.

Slice up your onions, peppers (both hot and sweet), okra, a piece or two of bacon, and after cooking a while, add some summer squash.  Cook them until squash is almost but not quite softened, then break a couple of eggs into the pan and cover with a lid, lowering the flame to as low as you can get it without it going out.  The eggs poach in the steam and liquid from the vegetables.  Do not overcook the yolks unless you are @jsharr , they should still be soft.

Serve on a couple of heated soft corn tortillas, garnished with thin sliced red or green cabbage shavings and Cholula hot sauce. No egg cups required.

• Heart 1
  • Sad 1

No egg cup use except once or twice in restaurants, where I felt clumsy and it seemed like it took more effort than if they simply put it on a plate.

I recently saw ads on TV now for microwave containers in which to nuke hard boiled eggs outside of their shells - apparently removing the shell is a traumatic experience for the pitchmen- surely you can poach them as well.

In any case, it does make interesting, cylinder-shaped deviled eggs!

That reminded me that just before the problems arose that led to last year's shoulder operation, I got some of those microwavable bowls with built-in circular depressions to make poached eggs and one where you can add a little oil and allegedly make fried eggs. I had stored and forgotten them.

Now that I'm actively cooking again, I'll report after I get around to using them.

Some of the junk I bought:

This Range Mate allegedly attracts the microwave heat to the grill bars in the bottom and blocks some of the microwaves reaching from above so the stuff is "grilled."

1926751418_RangeMateGrill-Poach-Steam.JPG.8759768c5909a7e0b1bc9a33665fec0f.JPG

A couple "Systema Microwave Collection" steamers, 3.2 L and 1.3 L, where eggs, etc. can be cooked with the steamer rack removed:

1516438454_SystemaMicrowaveCollectionPlatew.removableSteamRackLarge1_3L.JPG.e4d9e2f14d9e0fb8732d31e57ba7896f.JPG1593916985_SistemaMicrowaveCollectionSteamerLarge3_2L.JPG.ec9bf63366f9bc9c3831511cfc95b11a.JPG