What's Your Go To Grill or BBQ Item?

ChrisL

What's your specialty or favorite item to cook on the grill?

For me it's Indonesian style chicken satay. I marinate the chicken over night in sweet soy, garlic, coriander & lemon juice.  I serve it with peanut sauce.  It's a lot of work so I don't make it often but it's my thing.

Whats yours?

• Heart 1

It was a spatchcocked whole spice rubbed chicken, but that was on the old grill which had a much larger surface and three burners.

The new(er) grill is much smaller, and only two burners set longways, so not enough room for indirect heat.  I tried grilling a chicken once and I won't try it again.

I miss those chickens.

I regularly do a whole pork loin, brined, kinda butterflied open, lined with Italian sausage & spices, rolled up like a braciole, tied, and rotisseried with a medium amount of smoke chips. The last one I did with a bacon overcoat.

I also do a pork tenderloin covered  in bacon.

I like chicken wings done on the grill & then sauced.

We do a turkey breast, brined & seasoned on the rotisserie every year.

Spatchcocked chicken.

IMG_0412.JPG

IMG_0750.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0092.JPG

100_0609.JPG

• Heart 3

My favorite is the straight up hamburger/cheeseburger. The family prefers any form of grilled chicken.  The best however may be grilled pizza.  You need a fairly substantial crust, sometimes just a naan bread.  Grill one side then flip it and quickly put your choice of sauce/toppings on and finish grilling.  A touch of burn is ok as it gives the pizza a pizza shop taste.

• Heart 1

I like to stuff flank steak with roasted green chilies and sharp cheddar cheese, then marinade it in tequila, fresh squeezed lime juice, and Mexican spices, then grill it low and slow. Mexican street corn and papas con chili are the perfect sides for it.

• Heart 3

12 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

How do you grill clams? Do you just put them on the grate until they pop open?

Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for medium-hot cooking.  Place the rinsed clams directly onto the grill grates. After 5 to 7 minutes, the clams will begin to open. Using tongs, transfer the clams to a bowl, being careful not to spill any of their juices. Discard any clams that don't open after 10 minutes.

If you want to be all fancy and stuff---we usually just serve butter and lemon on the side and people do what they want with it.   Toss the clams with the warm garlic butter, sprinkle with the parsley and season with pepper. Serve with lemon wedges and crusty bread.

• Heart 2

32 minutes ago, Dong said:

I have never had anything from a grill that I am not confident could be better and more ably handled from the kitchen.

Not saying I hate the grill or anything stupid like that, but I don't see the need.

We have tried my satay over gas grills and in the oven but cooking them over charcoal ads a little extra something.  

16 hours ago, Dong said:

I have never had anything from a grill that I am not confident could be better and more ably handled from the kitchen.

Not saying I hate the grill or anything stupid like that, but I don't see the need.

What are you, some kind of communist?

• Heart 3

Stuffed jalapenos

Split the peppers & clean out the seeds & webs

put something tasty in the cavity,  I like shrimp, or a bit of cooked bacon

fill the cavity with a cream cheese / shredded cheese mix 

top with a panko bread crumb egg mix

put on indirect heat to melt the cheese and crust the bread crumb mix, have cover down to get some smoke flavor

finish over direct heat to put some char on the peppers

• Awesome 1