Things I miss on this diet...

Wilbur

1 minute ago, ChrisL said:

Wow that's pretty restrictive.  My carbs are coming from fruit & veg but I'm eating more fruit.

How has it been going so far?

On, inflammation, no real change yet.  On sleep, really big improvement.  On energy, vast improvement.  Best side effect is weight loss.  About a pound per day. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Dong said:

What is a goldenberry?

It's a little, citrusy berry, also called a "Cape Gooseberry" about the size of a bing cherry.

I bought them a couple times in the container shown below at a Harris Teeter supermarket. They are good but I'd rather have a clementine if I want citrus and a cherry if I want fruit:

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.6ab2c2fddf4d10936dad0f0e05f40985.jpg

goldenberriesinfo.jpg.965b22a05ca3c0a9a37647b367828086.jpg

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, MickinMD said:

It's a little, citrusy berry, also called a "Cape Gooseberry" about the size of a bing cherry.

I bought them a couple times in the container shown below at a Harris Teeter supermarket. They are good but I'd rather have a clementine if I want citrus and a cherry if I want fruit:

I grew those one year and I wasn't really a fan.  Fun to grow though with those papery husks.

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Cutting out fruits and berries or just certain fruits & berries? I really cut starches but refused to give up fruit.   I'll go weeks without eating any bread or pasta but can't go a day without eating fruit.

Yep,  I won't be cutting out fruit anytime soon.  What you need to do is simply cut out all processed sugars.  I'll processed foods, really. And because of my health condition, I've cut out meat and dairy too.  That's the bad news.  And it sucks during the day sometimes when I want that crap but the rest of the time I feel great.  The good news is I'm down 15 pounds giving up all processed sugars and compound foods. And it's only been a month and a half.

• Heart 3

9 minutes ago, Dottles said:

Yep,  I won't be cutting out fruit anytime soon.  What you need to do is simply cut out all processed sugars.  I'll processed foods, really. And because of my health condition, I've cut out meat and dairy too.  That's the bad news.  And it sucks during the day sometimes when I want that crap but the rest of the time I feel great.  The good news is I'm down 15 pounds giving up all processed sugars and compound foods. And it's only been a month and a half.

I am not on a diet to lose weight.  I am on a diet to find which foods are causing undue levels of inflammation.  An Elimination diet.  I am down to meat, fats, water.  In two more months, a bunch of blood work then start adding fruits and vegetables back in to zero in on what is causing my inflammation issues.  This is to keep me off a radical Biogenic drug treatment or a lifetime on Prednisone.   The weight loss is just a happy byproduct of the process. 

Three weeks ago, my resting heart rate was 72 bpm.  Three weeks into the diet, RHR is 56.  Seems diet is a factor with my inflammation. 

• Heart 3

13 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am not on a diet to lose weight.  I am on a diet to find which foods are causing undue levels of inflammation.  An Elimination diet.  I am down to meat, fats, water.  In two more months, a bunch of blood work then start adding fruits and vegetables back in to zero in on what is causing my inflammation issues.  This is to keep me off a radical Biogenic drug treatment or a lifetime on Prednisone.   The weight loss is just a happy byproduct of the process. 

Three weeks ago, my resting heart rate was 72 bpm.  Three weeks into the diet, RHR is 56.  Seems diet is a factor with my inflammation. 

Fantastic news!  Keep it up.  I'm in this deal because of heart disease.  I'm going back to a diet that I know works -- my personal experience -- and 15 years later it still works.  Today I look at food as if  "I eat this -- I die."...  if "I eat this" -- I live.  I am choosing to live. From what I can tell, my tests came back and showed I had a high heart risk of a man 10 years older than me.  So it really is a matter of life or death to me. That's the bad news.  Good news is when given those two options -- it makes it so much easier to do the right thing.  No intellectual tinkering.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, MickinMD said:

OMG I have only had those in Cape Town...but I loved them!!  I have not seen them here :(

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Seems diet is a factor with my inflammation.

I found an insufficiency of Vitamin D enabled a higher degree of inflammation. I discovered the fact quite by accident because of all my injury components were driving an inflammation engine. A blood test to troubleshoot one source of back problems proved lower than recommended levels of Vitamin D in my blood. After about a month of supplementation with D3, some areas of obvious inflammation simply resolved.

1 hour ago, donkpow said:

I found an insufficiency of Vitamin D enabled a higher degree of inflammation. I discovered the fact quite by accident because of all my injury components were driving an inflammation engine. A blood test to troubleshoot one source of back problems proved lower than recommended levels of Vitamin D in my blood. After about a month of supplementation with D3, some areas of obvious inflammation simply resolved.

I have been on D3 for the past two years for the same reason. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

I have been on D3 for the past two years for the same reason. 

Here is what was weird for me. I am a white guy and am outside nearly every day. I ride a bicycle, nearly naked, outside, several times a week. I have taken a multi-vitamin with 1000 IU's of D3 for decades. So now at 61 years old, I find out I am low on D3 and my bones are not in good shape. Seriously, I would never have guessed that I was low on D3.

4 minutes ago, donkpow said:

Here is what was weird for me. I am a white guy and am outside nearly every day. I ride a bicycle, nearly naked, outside, several times a week. I have taken a multi-vitamin with 1000 IU's of D3 for decades. So now at 61 years old, I find out I am low on D3 and my bones are not in good shape. Seriously, I would never have guessed that I was low on D3.

If I remember right, you need K to use D.

Ask if your Doc has checked your  vit K levels.

13 minutes ago, late said:

If I remember right, you need K to use D.

Ask if your Doc has checked your  vit K levels.

Yeah, Vitamin K presents a set of issues on its own when you start looking a supplementing that. I forget the details but time is proving that basic supplementation with an extra 1000 IU/day Vit D3 is working for me. Calcium is another thing but my levels are good. I did add a little extra into my diet just to be sure. Right now I'm taking a trial run at a daily dose of synthetic thyroid hormone. Time will show on that. Long term use of thyroid hormone interferes with calcium in the body. I need to look at that again if my metabolism doesn't straighten out.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 8:33 AM, ChrisL said:

Cutting out fruits and berries or just certain fruits & berries? I really cut starches but refused to give up fruit.   I'll go weeks without eating any bread or pasta but can't go a day without eating fruit.

Yup.

Loaded up on red currants, golden plums, purple plums, 5 lbs. of blueberries today from the market. My partner consumed approx. 70% of 5 lbs. of blueberries in about 1 wk.  I froze a 750 ml. of blueberries and at the rest gradually over same time period.

On 8/11/2018 at 1:47 PM, Wilbur said:

Many kudos on taking the initiative to solve your health problems without drugs.  Hope you find what is causing the issue.

• Heart 1