Not accurate - but precise

MickinMD

As a scientist, it drives me crazy that reporters will use extra letters or extra syllables to make something sound bigger than they would if they reported the actual number.

Just now, on Meet the Press, it was noted that a Congresswoman won her last election by "almost 20 points" while the graphic showed she won by "19 points" which would take less time to report.

Accuracy is getting the right number and the reporters so often intentionally make it more hazy than it needs to be for the sake of sensationalism.

Precision has nothing directly to do with accuracy: it means you're repeatedly getting the same answer to the same question.  If 10 people were asked how much 2 + 2 is and they all answered, "5," that is a precise answer.  So the consistent habit of the reporters to make numbers seem inflated means they're very precise about not being accurate!

When you design an experiment where something is highly precise and also highly inaccurate, there's something very wrong with the design.  And that's what drives me crazy about the press!

• Heart 1

Strange-Mass-Hysteria-Cases.jpg

For @Razors Edge:

9. Genitalia Vanishing, Nigeria 

During 1990, people, both male and female found their “genitals vanish” when an accidental body contact was made with a stranger. The victims would then threaten or beat the accused strangers until they received their genitals back. Social and cultural traditions of Nigeria also contributed to the outbreak. A Christian priest even claimed that a Bible passage where Jesus asked “Who touched me?” because the “power had gone out of him,” referred to genital stealing.

https://www.unbelievable-facts.com/2017/02/mass-hysteria.html

2 hours ago, MickinMD said:

As a scientist, it drives me crazy that reporters will use extra letters or extra syllables to make something sound bigger than they would if they reported the actual number.

Just now, on Meet the Press, it was noted that a Congresswoman won her last election by "almost 20 points" while the graphic showed she won by "19 points" which would take less time to report.

Accuracy is getting the right number and the reporters so often intentionally make it more hazy than it needs to be for the sake of sensationalism.

Precision has nothing directly to do with accuracy: it means you're repeatedly getting the same answer to the same question.  If 10 people were asked how much 2 + 2 is and they all answered, "5," that is a precise answer.  So the consistent habit of the reporters to make numbers seem inflated means they're very precise about not being accurate!

When you design an experiment where something is highly precise and also highly inaccurate, there's something very wrong with the design.  And that's what drives me crazy about the press!

I think you need to go ride your bike.  Different strokes for different folks, and they are not worth getting all excited.:whistle:

• Haha 1