Blame the Canucks, not Mexicans: overstaying illegally in U.S.

shootingstar

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadians-not-mexicans-represent-largest-number-of-visa-overstays-in-the-u-s-according-to-department-of-homeland-security

I really think some Canadians....are just naïve/stupid. Overstaying in the U.S. illegally.

Also some think U.S. is something like Canada..so they overstay and not really think hard enough they are in a foreign country. They don't take seriously the impact of U.S. politics nor differences in health care system (until they get seriously sick in the U.S.).

Please don't EVER tell me Canadian health system is crap.  At this very moment, my 1-yr. old great nephew had surgery performed on his brain for tumour removal.  He's on high intensive care....and not responsive to sight, sound. He is in CAnada's leading pediatric acute care hospital in Toronto.  

If this happened in the U.S., there would be very high hospital bills..  If you want to ask the level care baby is receiving ask the mother....she is pediatric physician.

A friend of mine's father sailed down to Jamaica solo.  On the way back, he stopped in Key West for a few months.  Those months turned into a few years.  USCS came by for a visit and advised him his visa had expired and he had to leave.  He didn't.  6 months later, they came back and gave him 180 day notice to leave.  After that, they gave him mandatory expulsion within 180 days.  He used 179 of those before casting off Northbound.  :) 

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/politics/canadians-not-mexicans-represent-largest-number-of-visa-overstays-in-the-u-s-according-to-department-of-homeland-security

I really think some Canadians....are just naïve/stupid. Overstaying in the U.S. illegally.

Also some think U.S. is something like Canada..so they overstay and not really think hard enough they are in a foreign country. They don't take seriously the impact of U.S. politics nor differences in health care system (until they get seriously sick in the U.S.).

Please don't EVER tell me Canadian health system is crap.  At this very moment, my 1-yr. old great nephew had surgery performed on his brain for tumour removal.  He's on high intensive care....and not responsive to sight, sound. He is in CAnada's leading pediatric acute care hospital in Toronto.  

If this happened in the U.S., there would be very high hospital bills..  If you want to ask the level care baby is receiving ask the mother....she is pediatric physician.

High bills, but likely covered under an employed persons insurance??? Why the false comparison to the US insurance system and the inaccuracies?

Hoping your great nephew gets better ASAP.  He has a long life ahead of him!

Tom

How long is too long in Visa terms. We have Canadian snowbirds that winter down here for 6 months. Obviously longer than a tourist visa. And yes, cost of healtcare is a major concern not only for the Canadians, but tourist from other countries that come to Disney and get sick.

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Tizeye said:

How long is too long in Visa terms. We have Canadian snowbirds that winter down here for 6 months. Obviously longer than a tourist visa. And yes, cost of healtcare is a major concern not only for the Canadians, but tourist from other countries that come to Disney and get sick.

Six months on a B2 visa for Canadians.  I think they do that specifically to accommodate the snowbirds.  It is also the point at which you start paying income tax in the US.  $125 buys a years worth of medical coverage but you have to leave once every 60 days or so. 

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

High bills, but likely covered under an employed persons insurance??? Why the false comparison to the US insurance system and the inaccuracies?

Hoping your great nephew gets better ASAP.  He has a long life ahead of him!

Tom

No, Canadian doctors actually are not covered by any hospital  employer's health insurance plan.  The father, is a contract worker with a totally different employer.

Sorry, getting off topic here.

30 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

No, Canadian doctors actually are not covered by any hospital  employer's health insurance plan.  The father, is a contract worker with a totally different employer.

Sorry, my bad. I was pointing out that in the US that kind of surgery would often fall under a person's insurance coverage and, while expensive in an "MSRP" sort  of way, not necessarily in the "out-of-pocket" way.

I'm not sure anyone here really gives CAnada's health care system too much negative consideration, but I do sense that coming the other direction from your comments.  Hopefully, your nephew gets the same world class results at a reasonable cost that my niece received here in the US when she had brain surgery. 

Tom

There is no doubt in my mind this infant would receive the best care available in this country at no charge, if the situation warranted it. 

There is a lot of discussion surrounding health care issues in this country. The present 'solutions' are more or less transitional. Keep in mind the huge amount of money floating around the health care/insurance industry in this country. It would be unwise to make drastic changes quickly.

14 hours ago, shootingstar said:

Please don't EVER tell me Canadian health system is crap. 

In some provinces, it is crap.  Just last month was the date for a school friend of mine's MRI for cancer.  Problem is, he died 6 months ago.  Glad your scenario received attention and even with some shortfalls, I will take our system over any other but it can be criticized. 

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I will take our system over any other but it can be criticized. 

I think that it is often a challenge to give up the known and switch to a new or unknown system. 

I found this NYT "health system play off" to be interesting:

CAnada losing to the Brits! The US losing eventually to the French! The Swiss taking it ALL!

Tom 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

In some provinces, it is crap.  Just last month was the date for a school friend of mine's MRI for cancer.  Problem is, he died 6 months ago.  Glad your scenario received attention and even with some shortfalls, I will take our system over any other but it can be criticized. 

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. 

Couch 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

I think that it is often a challenge to give up the known and switch to a new or unknown system. 

I found this NYT "health system play off" to be interesting:

CAnada losing to the Brits! The US losing eventually to the French! The Swiss taking it ALL!

Tom 

I also think the media sensationalizes the negative aspects of our system.  It's not perfect but I think if her family were living in the US & had similar employment with an American firm they'd be fine from a cost stand point. 

Wishing your nephew has a speedy recovery!