Did you ever pay your dealer for..

Wilbur

5 minutes ago, jsharr said:

I wondered about the locksmith keys.  Is your car push to start or key start?  I have never used the locksmith for one.  Mom and Dad had to pay for one for their car from Lincoln.  It was a couple hundred bucks and that was years ago.

Ket start but it has that transponder lockout. 

The new cars from Toyota (nee Scion) have replaceable batteries in the key.  The 2009 Cube has worn out it's key so we are back to the old school manual lock/unlock.  The newer Scion IM knows when I'm near the car and a light goes on in the dash.

I refuse to spend the sort of money that they want for the new Nissan Key for the Cube.

The fobs died on my 2000 Jeep Cherokee about 12 years into it but it also had door locks you could manually lock & unlock the car with.  When they died we didn't bother replacing it.

i do plan to keep my Subaru as long as I can and wonder how long the fobs will last as there are no manual door locks. 

4 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

If you have both, you can usually buy a new one online and program it.  If you only have one, you need to buy from dealer, or hope a locksmith has the program they need.  If you lost both, steal @jsharr's, car he doesn't seem to appreciate it.

I tried the online versions.  Even with. locksmith they didn't work.  You could open the doors, turn the engine over but it would not run.  :( 

Just now, Wilbur said:

I tried the online versions.  Even with. locksmith they didn't work.  You could open the doors, turn the engine over but it would not run.  :( 

I only tried it once, about 10 years ago.  I suspect they are a lot more sophisticated now.  I have a mere Camry and am very impressed with the keyless entry.  I will never buy another car without it.  It's not fancy enough to roll down my windows, or have driver memory options, but it's still pretty cool,

• Heart 1